Marty Graham 5:30 p.m., Aug. 26
City Council sets medical marijuana hearing for 4:20 p.m.
Marijuana advocates: "This is nothing more than a smokescreen to avoid vigorous debate, and it stinks like schwag."
City Council source: "They were hoping to hold the meeting on 4/20, but it turns out, that's a Saturday this year."
"It's typical pothead paranoia," says a City Councilman, speaking on condition of anonymity. "We graciously grant them an opportunity to join in the discussion on the mayor's proposed draft of a medical marijuana ordinance next Monday, and they immediately start whining about where it lands on the docket. Yes, I know that 4:20 holds special significance for these druggies. Yes, I know that many of them will be at home smoking up, or out, or whatever, at that time, instead of attending the City Council meeting to make their voices heard. But that's their choice. And the timing was a coincidence, anyway."
More like this:
- State Supreme Court grants cities the authority to ban Medical Marijuana dispensaries — May 6, 2013
- Cities Across The County To Consider Enacting Medical Marijuana Ordinances — July 24, 2012
- Imperial Beach City Council Forced to Address Pot Dispensary Ban — June 25, 2012
- Half Baked — July 30, 2009
- Give Me Back My Baggie — Oct. 9, 1997