Mark Carpowich 1 p.m., Feb. 27
San Diego History Center expresses regret over hiring Cecilia Gimenez to restore Depression-era paintings
Infamous Octogenarian Behind Monkeyface Jesus Brings Expertise to Charles Reiffel's "Mountains and Desert," Other Works.
"Google would have been helpful here."
Well, hello there, Monkeyface Jesus! So nice to see you again!
"In hindsight, we probably should have checked her portfolio," says San Diego History Center Director Dusty Webb. "But she was European! Those people practically invented fancy painting! Look, if a woman came to you and told you that she had been commissioned to restore a fresco painted by Elias Garcia Martinez in Borja's Santuario de Misericordia and part of the collection owned by Spain's Centro de Estudios Borjano, would you expect her to do something like this?"
More like this:
- Last-minute San Diego Halloween costumes — Oct. 31, 2012
- Local Troop Leader for Catholic Boy Scouts Seeks to Start Youth Football Program — Oct. 25, 2012
- Comic Fest on Hotel Circle, Day Three: Photo Report — Oct. 21, 2012
- Comic Fest on Hotel Circle, Day Two: Photo Report — Oct. 21, 2012
- Comic Fest on Hotel Circle, Day One: Photo Report — Oct. 19, 2012