Jeff Smith 6:35 p.m., June 27
Former San Diego Superintendent Promoted to Dark Knight
Onetime Education Secretary and Border Czar Tasked With Saving Humanity from Itself.
"It seemed the next logical step."
Pictured: Bersin, solving the immigration problem: "You know what the real Bane is? Undocumented labor!"
Earlier today, President Obama, after accepting Alan Bersin's resignation as Commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, appointed the dashing public official to the post of Assistant Secretary of International Affairs. According to Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, the post includes responsibility for "countering terrorism and organized violent crime; narcotics smuggling and human trafficking; proliferation of chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear weapons; and emerging threats from cyberspace. Basically, everything Batman does. We thought throwing in the suit and the title was only fitting."
More like this:
- Is Alan Bersin irreplaceable? Obama still hasn’t found anyone to be Customs commissioner — Sept. 13, 2012
- San Diego Mayor's Wife, Top Aide, and Irwin Jacobs Give Big to Barack Obama — Aug. 15, 2012
- Obama Gives Bersin New Homeland Security Job — Jan. 2, 2012
- Alan Bersin's "Our Border" Site Goes Offline — Dec. 22, 2011
- Despite Alleged Conflicts, Bersin Gets Border Post on Interim Basis — March 27, 2010