Matt Potter 4:30 p.m., Nov. 20
Fox 5 Sports Anchor Protests Suspension Over Danica Patrick Comment
"Danica is Bodacious, Bootylicious, and Boobiful. What's the problem?"
"Why does the media keep describing me as sexy?" [Pictured: first results of Google Image search for Danica Patrick.]
ORDERING A FOURTH ROUND OF MAI TAIS, PLAYERS SPORTS BAR, CLAIREMONT MESA - "They can make me do a video apology, but they can't make me sorry," says Rod Shimballa, sports anchor at Fox 5 San Diego. Shimballa was commenting on the one-week suspension without pay that he received following an on-air comment he made about sexy, sexy NASCAR driver Danica Patrick.
The station played a clip of Ms. Patrick asking reporters, "Is there any other word [besides 'sexy'] that you can use to describe me?" Shimballa then commented, ""Oh, I've got a few words … Starts with a 'B', and it's not 'beautiful.'"
"Apparently," says Shimballa, "some rather delicate souls out there thought I was implying that Danica is a bitch. But of course, I wasn't. There are other words that start with 'B,' words that explain why the media persists in its characterization of her as sexy. I've tried to make this clear, but I can't seem to get those C-words in Upper Management to understand. And by C-words, I mean 'corporate cowards.' Geez."
More like this:
- Eminem Goes to Coronado — Jan. 4, 2012
- Satire Saunters into the Reader! A word on Walter Mencken’s February 24 installment of “S.D. on the Q.T.” — March 11, 2010
- And in this corner....Check Mate! — July 23, 2008
- Stairway Railing to Heaven — May 26, 2008
- Blues VS Blues, 50 Historic Local Concerts, War Stories, Boy Shakira & more — March 7, 2008