Ruth Newell 8:48 p.m., Feb. 7
Turner on Ryan: "Spoilsport!"
Chargers' Coach-Provocateur slings slur at Jets' Jellicose General after Ryan benches hapless quarterback Mark Sanchez prior to Sunday's matchup. "You don't see me benching hapless quarterback Philip Rivers, do you?"
Turner disappointed: "I have worked very hard this season to turn a Pro Bowl quarterback into a bad joke. Ryan has clearly done the same with Sanchez - though he needed to bring in a little Tebow drama to glam things up. Sunday would have been The Big Showdown: Fumblebum vs. Fumblebee. But instead, Ryan benches Sanchez and brings in some sort of basically competent backup? Where's the sport in that? It's not like either of us are going to the playoffs this year. Why not have a little fun, give the people a show?"
Fans irate: "I paid good money for what I fully and reasonably expected would be a comedy of errors," says longtime Charger fan May Zokist. "Between Rivers' 15 fumbles and 15 interceptions this season, and Sanchez's 12 fumbles and 17 interceptions, I had every right to look forward to a proper greased pig chase, one where the ball goes squirtin' out this way and that and everybody goes jumpin' after it, whoopin' and hollerin' and carryin' on. Dogpile!"
More like this:
- Coach-Provocateur Turner: "It's all part of the plan." — Oct. 10, 2012
- Seven (Sun)days of Darkness? — Sept. 24, 2012
- Philip Rivers to Coach Turner: "Please Stop Making Me Throw All Those Interceptions" — Nov. 3, 2011
- Norv Turner: "I wouldn't want to be Rex Ryan's wife." — Oct. 20, 2011
- Chargers Coach Norv Turner: "I'm The Only Trickster God This Team Needs, Thank You Very Much." — Sept. 19, 2011