What a weekend!

After the Voice of San Diego revealed that District 3 Council Candidate Todd Gloria took illegal contributions from disgraced CCDC head Nancy Graham, (http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/election/) and sold his first vote on the council for a union boss endorsement, I paid a visit to some neighbors.

I found a house with a Gloria sign in the yard. All I had to do was show the homeowner the VOSD articles, and that sign was ripped out of the lawn and thrown in the trash.

I repeated this at ten different houses. At all but one, the homeowner was outraged at Gloria's secret back room deal, and took the sign down. The clincher was when they found out that Donna Frye and the Democratic party both endorsed Whitburn. Some had apparently been told just the opposite by Gloria's well-paid campaign operatives.

Anonymous cowards posting under pseudonyms continue to spread lies about Stephen Whitburn, but the voters in District 3 are too smart. They know they can trust Donna Frye, and they cannot trust downtown power brokers who want another ambitious and compliant political wannabe on the council. Gloria even has the gall to take tainted money from the Manchester Financial Group, the same bigots behind Proposition 8.

I'm going to continue telling my neighbors the truth. Whitburn stands for open and honest government, and along with Donna Frye will work to reform San Diego.

Gloria stands for secret deals, illegal campaign contributions, and never-ending corruption in San Diego. It's time to tell your neighbors the truth about Todd Gloria, and watch the signs come down...

Comments

Stephen_Davis_from_South_Park Sept. 16, 2008 @ 9:54 a.m.

Whitburn Caught Acting Shady

Fred, you're a funny man. Great tongue-in-cheek post!

What I'm not laughing about are the following facts:

Fact: Stephen Whitburn has greased his campaign with over $100,000 from a trust fund to try to buy this election. Why won't Whitburn come clean about the source of his money? Afterall, he earns about $55K a year doing P.R. for a non-profit and doesn't own a home. How does Whitburn have over $100K sloshing around to dump into an election?

Fact: Todd Gloria has served our community longer than Whitburn has lived in San Diego County. Todd Gloria is a 3rd generation native of THE 3RD DISTRICT! Amazing. We have a great opportunity to elect a loyal member of our community in Todd Gloria.

Fact: Stephen Whitburn has accepted money from developers and real estate professionals, too. The difference is that Todd Gloria enjoys support from 1,000's of individual small contributors, while Whitburn is trying to buy the election with over $100K from a private trust maintained back east where he's from.

Whitburn is acting shady and needs to come clean.

Jake92104 Sept. 16, 2008 @ 11:16 a.m.

The factual inaccuracies in your article would be almost laughable if they didn’t verge on the brink of libel. Your false accusations against Todd are absolutely repugnant.

Gloria has never accepted “illegal contributions” and has not “sold his vote” for an endorsement. But why let such inconvenient facts get in the way of your story?

“Whitburn stands for open and honest government”? What?! His campaign has been nothing but a series of divisive, negative and baseless attacks on Gloria. This is not “change” or “reform,” but politics as usual. Has he been studying the work of Karl Rove?

Fred, exactly how long have you been on Whitburn’s campaign staff?

historymatters Sept. 16, 2008 @ 11:50 a.m.

Hate to break it to ya Jake... but Fred's facts are true and backed up by the Center for Policy initiatives, and several publications, including signonsandiego of all people.

Stephen_Davis_from_South_Park Sept. 16, 2008 @ 12:19 p.m.

Hate to break it to ya "historymatters" (wtf?)... but Gloria returned Graham's contribution because of her troubles (I am not my brother's keeper).

Gloria is endorsed by the San Diego City Firefighters, Police Officers Association and the League of Conservation Voters.

Fred Williams Sept. 16, 2008 @ 3:32 p.m.

Hi Stephen Davis from South Park, and Jake 92104.

I'm very glad you are engaging in this civic discourse. It's important for the facts to come out before we vote.

1. Soliciting contributions from city employees violates the election statutes. Gloria didn't accept a contribution from Nancy Graham by mistake or oversight. He sent her at least 9 emails requesting money, and an unknown number of phone calls and letters. The emails are available for all to see at VOSD.

He has also taken contributions from disgraced CCDC board members Jennifer LeSar, Fred Maas, and Kim Kilkenny.

It's all right here: http://www.developeralert.org/INDEXGloria.html

1. The fact that Gloria betrayed Donna Frye for a labor endorsement is now well documented. Again, just have a look at VOSD to read all the dirty details. Everything I'm repeating here is verified.

2. San Diego political insiders like to push the notion that it's best when everyone is "nice" and "gets along together".

Hogwash.

Democracy is about disagreement, debating the facts, considering alternatives...if you want unanimous agreement, join the politboru.

Without open discussion of the facts, democracy dies. That's why we're in such trouble in San Diego today. Too many promises broken with no consequences.

Well, I don't want that to happen again. That's why I've chosen my candidates and I'm doing what I can to help them. If you disagree with me, I urge you to step up and take action.

• Walk precincts and talk to the voters.
  • Make phone calls and talk to the voters.
  • Write articles and show them to the voters.

At the moment, it is very easy to show voters what's going on with Gloria. He's very charming and likeable, but I don't believe he's going to work for the rest of us once he's in office.

Look at who is paying for his campaign.

Whitburn is out there fighting for us. Today, he called for dissolving SEDC and CCDC, something a lot of us think is important.

Where is Todd? Taking money from CCDC and SEDC insiders.

That's the truth about this election. I'm proud to get it out to the voters. They're listening, and they're not dumb. They understand the stakes, and they're voting for Stephen Whitburn.

historymatters Sept. 16, 2008 @ 10:19 p.m.

well Jake, Legally he wasnt even allowed to solicit her contribution--thats where hes in trouble. And an endorsement from the Police and Fire--is that the same Police and Fire where the top guys rake in $250,000 a year. Thats why they are mad at Donna--she keeps bringing up the insanity of the pay scale. Police and Fire support isnt really a basis for bragging here in SD. Its more a good reason to be suspicious. And believe me that obnoxious phone call from the police demanding that we vote for Gloria isnt helping either.

_Spark_ Sept. 24, 2008 @ 4:18 p.m.

I agree, historymatters. Especially since Jerry Sanders was the former Chief of Police. Whenever I see a yard sign that says "Police Support Todd Gloria" it counts as a strike against him in my book. Might as well say "The Ol' Boys Club Supports Todd Gloria."

Stephen_Davis_from_South_Park Sept. 26, 2008 @ 5:02 p.m.

Todd Gloria is a native San Diegan who's lived his life in the district. Gloria has received 1,000's of individual contributions to support his race.

Stephen Whitburn is a carpetbagger from back east. Whitburn has greased his campaign with over $100,000 from a private trust, with no explanation.

Todd Gloria is homegrown and home-supported, while Stephen Whitburn is a carpetbagger trying to steal the council seat.