Most of the time, Gus is a pain in the neck. He sleeps on top of me and digs his claws into the skin on my legs. A few months after I endured reconstructive surgery on my eye, Gus decided to sleep head to foot and ultimately socked me with his back foot. My eye throbbed for hours.

On February 4, I took him to the Valentine's Day photo event at the Escondido Humane Society. As always, he got attention. And even though he's a sixty-pound hard-body, a purebred pit bull by design, no one was afraid of him. No one ever is. I think people are so engrossed in staring at his long ears, it doesn't even dawn on them what breed he is.

"Look at those ears!" "I love those ears!" I hear it constantly. Once we get the ear issue out of the way, people ask, "What breed is he?" They look surprise when I say he's a blue-nose pit bull. I've even had one person argue that he looked like a giant French bulldog, which he is...for homeowners' insurance purposes.

Gus is far from being one of those beady-eyed killing machines you read about in the news. He's more like Spanky from the Little Rascals--all about the fun. He's goofy and soft-hearted; wouldn't last two minutes in a fighting pit. If another dog growls at him at The Mayflower Dog Park, he turns and runs. He expects me to take care of him.

Recently, Gus' girlfriend, Nancy, had to be put down. She turned out to be one of those beady-eyed killing machines. But before I took her for that last ride to the shelter, she grabbed ahold of my senior dog's neck and wouldn't let go. When Bliss started fighting back, the two dogs crashed into a table knocking over a glass. Gus immediately came looking for me with an expression that said, "What the hell was that?"

I was using the restroom and he insisted on sitting on my foot. Occasionally, he cautiously peered out the door to see what was going on. In his world, he can't imagine ever fighting like that. Even if another dog steals a toy from him he says, "Oh boy! Now you've started a game where I have to steal it back!"

Gus is all about the fun. When a one-hundred-twenty-pound wolf dog pinned him to a park bench, he said "Mom! Help!" I had to jump in and rescue him.
So much for owning a guard dog!

At Saturday's event, Gus became nervouse the minute we walked in. He had come from the County shelter in Carlsbad and I wondered if the sights and sounds were so familiar they scared him. He truly hated being incarcerated. And as happened during captivity, his eyes turned red, he started to pant and he wouldn't sit still for more than a second. After a few minutes, his skin turned flakey like it had after being kenneled for a month. He was just too stressed.

When it was his turn to get his picture taken, the girls led him to a special spot. He wouldn't settle down no matter how many treats or toys they gave him. He kept hopping up and circling around the room. But at some point, it dawned on him that he was supposed to be enjoying the experience. Then he lay down beside the fuzzy hearts and smiled. As you can see, it was a great shot!

Who could live with a dynamo like Gus? Well, sometimes I think I won't survive, but when I see him resting his head on his daddy's lap while they watch T.V. my heart just turns to mush. There's nothing he could do to make me get rid of him. He's my very own pain-in-the butt valentine. See the final outcome. He's one handsome boy!

Comments

emstersmom1 Feb. 11, 2012 @ 8:36 p.m.

OH MY GOD......HE'S SOOO STINKING CUTE! He looks as though he's laughing to himself at a private joke.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 12, 2012 @ 9:22 a.m.

But before I took her for that last ride to the shelter, she grabbed ahold of my senior dog's neck and wouldn't let go == When this happens stick your finger into the dogs mouth who has locked on and PUSH the finger intot he roof of the mouth (they cannot and won't bite you) and their automatice reflex is to release. Works 100% of the time.

KatW Feb. 12, 2012 @ 8:53 a.m.

Gus is beautiful! I had been waiting my turn with my bulldog puppy and I think I talked to you or your husband about him. I work at EHS, and there are a lot of us who love bully breeds there. Walter wasn't much easier to photograph, haha. Love your boy!

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 12, 2012 @ 9:31 a.m.

BTW, I LOVE Gus' ears!!!!!!

I was at the San Pedro Shelter on Friday to meet and greet some wonderful Pitties. The main dog I went to meet-ANGEL- was adopted, the second dog-AMELIE- is being pulled today or Monday and the last dog-NOLA- still is looking for a home.

All three of these dogs are what is known as "low rider" pit bulls, very small. Angel as the smallest Pittie i have ever seen, he was 25# max, and scared to death, looked like he had been a bait dog for fighting rings, had scars all over his body-I even found a tick on him. I would have adopted Angel had the rescue not pulled him. Amelie is SUPER fun, she won't stop playing. Amelie is also very small. Maybe 35# max. Last was Nola, who was about as tall as Angel, but more muscular, but still a very small girl,. Her snout was only 2-3 inches long. Anyway Nola is the last dog that needs out. She has been adopted a few times prior but for some reason is being returned back to the shelter. Anyone looking for a SWEET and PLAYFUL low rider???? Angel is a Red Nose Pittie, Amelie and Nola Blue Nose Pitties

Angel-adopted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPJ2RV...

Amelie-getting adopted today or Monday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83eKNZ...

Nola, looking for her forever home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM5I6l...

If ANYONE is interested in Nola PM me and I may be able to raise some money for the firt few months of expenses. I may even adopt Nola myself. I lost my senior Cocker Spaniel last week.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 12, 2012 @ 2:38 p.m.

All of these dogs were special, suer personalities.

Nola is the last oen that needs a home, I will more than likely take her if no one else steps up. Mini Pit Bull!

richzombie Feb. 12, 2012 @ 10:04 a.m.

mindy - great story and then i clicked onto the image ...oh my what a personality - i see what you mean by who could live without - Gus...brightened my sunday morning !

nan shartel Feb. 12, 2012 @ 11:44 a.m.

he's cuter then the average bear Mindy...a non chocolate Valentine treat...safe 4 everyone including diabetics...hahahahahahaha ;-D*

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 12, 2012 @ 4:34 p.m.

What an awesome video, Gus is so sweet. So friendly too.

He looks like Nola, a low rider Pittie. He is smaller than my Nelly. His personality is amazing!

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 12, 2012 @ 6:10 p.m.

Mindy-My 75# blue nose Pittie does the same thing, at all hours of the day and night.

If I am sleep..... who cares, she jumps on me.... she throws her bowling ball sized head onto me..... she uses her 3 inch wide tongue to slobber all over me and wake me up.......you think she cares???? heck no!

I guess that is why I love her so much. These furballs are the best.