It's eleven p.m., and I just can't sleep. While I'm waiting for the Ambien to kick in, I might as well blog an update for my Reader friends. I really do miss Nan, Surfpuppy, and Emstermom1. I even wonder how Refriedgringo is doing down in Baja from time to time.

I have to admit things have not been good. I called my daughter on the night before Thanksgiving and found out her Mr. Wonderful whom she married about two and a half whirlwind years ago, has been beating her up. He's in the Navy and under a lot of stress. He works fourteen-hour days and has tried to re-enlist three times, but the bastards in charge won't give him a response. He's afraid he'll get laid off and there isn't much of a civilian market for a guy who shoots the big guns (He's an FC3).

And then of course, two weeks ago, we had to kill Nancy. I'm writing a tribute piece about her to be posted in a few days. She was my light. The only little girl I had left after my daughter moved to Honolulu. I had to do what I had to do but that one dog is sorely missed by all of us. More later...

Tonight, I happened to call my daughter when she was still at home. Her husband is on duty so they celebrated Christmas yesterday. A friend invited Amy to dinner at her house. I'm envious. I wanted more than anything to have her here with us.

She says that everything on the island of Oahu is crazy because Obama is there. Twenty police cars drive down the street at a time, many roads and highways are closed, and guards with automatic guns stand in the streets. She says the situation looks more like a dictator has arrived that the President of the United States. I told her to try to sneak a peek at him, but she won't because she's a Republican.

Amy is a hell of a writer and I hope that someday she'll be able to parlay her Hawaiian experencies into a novel. I've been fascinated by her stories. She's only twenty three so I don't think she realizes what she has yet.

My lovely daughter sent us two tickets to the movies so we went to see "War Horse." I fell asleep during the first half, but it got better once the French girl got the horse. I was actually engaged from the middle to the end. I think it's a movie worth seeing, I just wish Spielberg had given it a jump start right at the beginning.

Yesterday, I had a very nice time at the Harmony Grove Spiritualist Church. Sister Antoinette Delucci is my favorite reader and speaker. She told my husband he is a helper and a hard worker and that something good will come his way in the form of an invention. This was an amazing prediction, because Gus has invented his own hip dysplasia bed and we've talked about marketing it.

The man with Antoinette gave me a reading next. He kept talking about following down a pathway toward a light. My husband whispered "Your book." I've been working on my first novel for about five months. I never cease to be amazed by what I can do. I'm still rewriting the middle, but the whole thing is taking shape. I pranced around the house one day shouting "I wrote a book!" This is something I was afraid I'd never say. It's hot and the cover brings tears to my eyes. Even my graphic designer said it looks interesting. I think it's the masterpiece I've been waiting to write all of my life. It will be for sale on Amazon as soon as it's ready.

Words are starting to dance on the page. I'm fairly sure now that the Ambien is working. Have a happy rest of the holiday week, and I'll be checking in with you again.

Love,

Mindy

Comments

nan shartel Dec. 28, 2011 @ 12:06 a.m.

hey hunnypants..nice to cya...Merry Christmas kiddo!!!

Jay Allen Sanford Dec. 28, 2011 @ 1:14 a.m.

Here's hoping 2012 brings better things for all!

nan shartel Dec. 30, 2011 @ 2:55 p.m.

do stay...we can afford to lose anymore good writer here at the READER Mindy!!!

Ponzi Dec. 30, 2011 @ 4:05 p.m.

Mindy, please be careful with the Ambien! I have a few stories about taking that stuff... scary.

Thank you for sharing some of your life with us.

emstersmom1 Jan. 1, 2012 @ 4:35 p.m.

Man, I am soooo sorry to hear about your dog. It's hard. My dog passed away after 16 years and I had her from the time she was only six weeks old. It was tough. Terrific news about the book. Glad you've progressed to the point you're at. Can't wait to see it!!!!! I've got one I'm doing a 5th edit on, just to make sure it;s perfect and I have two poetry chapbooks to send out. Oh the pain of the writers angst we all suffer. GOOD TO SEE A WORD FROM NAN!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU BOTH. HERE'S TO A SUCCESSFUL YEAR FOR ALL THE WRITERS WITH WORK TO PUBLISH OUT THERE

nan shartel Jan. 2, 2012 @ 8:21 p.m.

thx estermom..happy happy to u 2

and big wet tears 4 the doggie Mindy :(

FatCatSegat Jan. 3, 2012 @ 11:57 a.m.

Well darlin', wish I could tell you that 2012 is gonna be better, but if the past five year trend stays the same, not only is it going to get worse, its gonna be unbelievable. More hate, more violence, more greed and less love. Sorry but thats the way it is. Love those around you, huddle up and brace yourselves. We dont have the luxury of time any more. Keep your loved ones close, or get closer to them asap! Sorry but a dose of reality is sorely needed. By the way, Obama is not a muslim, and definetely not a republican!

Ponzi Jan. 3, 2012 @ 6:47 p.m.

Mindy, thank you for mentioning the Vanity Fair story. I read it and found it interesting.

Here's the link

. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/01/stiglitz-depression-201201 .

Ponzi Jan. 4, 2012 @ 6:38 p.m.

Mindy, you might enjoy thee books: One Nation Under Contract: The Outsourcing of American Power and the Future of Foreign Policy, The Lights in the Tunnel: Automation, Accelerating Technology and the Economy of the Future and Race Against The Machine. The fiction book, Twenty Thirty is also entertaining.

Machines and automation in the near future are going to do more to destroy jobs in America than outsourcing, illegal immigration and mergers combined.