I am working today. I normally would not be writing. But here I sit in a room full of kids. Try not to guess what it is I do. The kids that I am with are students that have been sent to my care because for whatever reason they could not sit where they were at! They are an interesting bunch. Some want attention, some want help, some want to be left alone. I try to get every kids attention! I talk to them, I ask what's wrong, I ask what are you mad at. I always have the students write an incident report. It allows them to vent, to tell their side of what happened. We all just want to be heard, to be listened to. Kids have the hardest time. Sometimes their little voices scream and we still don't hear them. I try to listen! Sometime they try to tell us adults and we just don't get it. I listen , I hear, I care, Who knows what is going on in a kids head. They don't know what they say.. Kids call kids names and they think that it is funny. Kids steal..No wait Take things that are not theirs. They are learning ever so slowly the difference between right and wrong. Those kind of lessons used to come from our parents. Now the parents expect the schools to teach the kids how to act in public. I am a parent and I am proud of the way my kid acts around his peers and elders. I have high expectations of my son and I have high expectations of all the students that I come across. I guess that I expect everybody to try like it matters! It does matter, and the sooner we take responsibility for ourselves and our community; we can move on. I tire of watching students struggle because they feel that their is no reason to do their best. why should they? They see friends and family working and they might not have succeeded in school. Why should they? They listen to their parents who live in the fact that they might be going back any day. Why should they invest time and energy in something that might not even be there for them next year. I tell kids that the sooner you take responsibility for your actions, the sooner you can start to act mature. They think its funny, they act all bad, they puff out their chests and say I am responsible!. The next thing that comes out of their mouths is "he did it". I laugh! Kids are great! If I wasn't getting paid I would be doing this for free, somewhere.............

4-13-10: I write for myself. I appreciate the comment... I will try to use language that is more colorful in the future. I wrote what i felt. I have reread it a few times and I still wonder what is wrong. Or maybe what you think is wrong! It seemed like it was a good picture of the class that I was teaching that day. I wanted adults, parents, whoever reads it to understand that there are many sides to education and I was in a side that not many people get to experience. I just wanted to share!

Comments

SDaniels March 30, 2010 @ 1:49 a.m.

If you teach math, cool. If you teach English, lord help us.

quillpena April 12, 2010 @ 2:31 p.m.

SD was just pointing out that your grasp of punctuation, syntax, and structure are rather, uh, limited.

SDaniels April 12, 2010 @ 4:32 p.m.

I don't usually comment on that stuff, quilly, but good loooord...

SDaniels April 12, 2010 @ 4:33 p.m.

re: #3 Another devastating, sizzzling zinger from Grant! And sounds about right. ;)

MsGrant April 12, 2010 @ 4:51 p.m.

The writer's heart is the right place, if not his punctuation!!

David Dodd April 12, 2010 @ 5:10 p.m.

Heart on the left side of the ribcage, punctuation on the right. They taught that in skool ;)

quillpena April 12, 2010 @ 5:10 p.m.

Amen, SD, and ditto about MG's zingers.

quillpena April 12, 2010 @ 5:19 p.m.

You know, maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear that I already read this when I read all of John's "The Sun Cafe Goes On" blogs back-to-back a week or so ago. I went back today but couldn't find it.

I'm not trying to suggest anything, but it seems a little suspicious ... I'm just saying ....

SDaniels April 13, 2010 @ 12:48 p.m.

Quilly: You are saying this is John? Nahhh. I've seen a little better from this writer, "Laguna," I believe.

As for the heart in the right place, c'mon. The pretense of caring for "the kids" functions as a support for the real (and only, I think) issue; a narcissistic plea for kudos for doing such a great job--at whatever s/he actually does with/for "the kids."

MsGrant April 13, 2010 @ 1:04 p.m.

I was trying to be nice. You have exposed my insincerity and now I must sue.

David Dodd April 13, 2010 @ 1:24 p.m.

What, sue me and make me give up my partially complete collection of Kentucky Derby julep glasses? Never! I'm packing my stuff and goin' South immediately, to find me some sanctuary in Mexico.

MsGrant April 13, 2010 @ 1:30 p.m.

I'm taking the glasses AND the Mini Baseball Ice Cream Sundae Helmet Set from Dairy Queen. So don't go trying to hide them.

David Dodd April 13, 2010 @ 1:38 p.m.

Wow, you're tough! I think I would rather try and settle out of court. I offer the American League Mini Baseball Ice Cream Sundae Helmet Set from Dairy Queen, my Ken Griffey, Jr. rookie baseball card, and a Jose Canseco autographed copy of the book, "Pharmaceuticals And You: A Guide To Greatness"...

MsGrant April 13, 2010 @ 1:46 p.m.

I'm not a baseball fan but that book's gotta be worth something - deal.

quillpena April 13, 2010 @ 1:58 p.m.

Yes. I think "Laguna" is John's alter ego. I don't think he's necessarily "lying" (I really wish we could use italics) about a life in Escondido with a wife, a kid, dogs, and an implied teaching job (notice how he doesn't actually "say" he's a teacher: "Try not to guess what it is I do."). I think he's just expanding on a fantasy with Judy. Again, I could be wrong. But I "know" I read this already on the "As The Sun Cafe Goes On" blog. I just can't prove it. But you have to agree that the appalling punctuation, lack of margins, and general disregard for grammar are similar, not to mention the preoccupation with "changing the clocks," as John was in his ATSCGO blogs.

I agree with the "heart in the right place" paradox. Mother Teresa was accused of the same thing. Many believed that her unfailing desire to help the downtrodden in Calcutta came second to her need to be appreciated by her peers, the world, and possibly God (I'm still not completely clear on whether she lost her faith completely or only partially toward the end of her life and career).

David Dodd April 13, 2010 @ 2:13 p.m.

Not that this is a democracy, but if I had a vote, I'd have to agree with SD, I don't think it's an alter ego. Just sounds like someone who observed something and typed it out. My opinion, anyway.

George Laguna July 8, 2010 @ 8:54 a.m.

Holy crap. I was just writing. Sorry about the errors. I want to just write real. No I am not someones alter ego. Except maybe my own... Cool I got some responses!!