Ian Anderson 8 a.m., July 4
Our Lady of Loreto ‘Virgo Lauretana’ Altar in the St. Francis the Seraphic Church in Poznan (Garbary Street). The first monk from Italy, Brother Gabriel of Verona (St. John of Capistrano’s companion) came to Poznan in 1445. The City Council assigned a house with a square to the Franciscans (1456). A wooden church was built by them in 1458 (St. Bernardine of Siena was their first Patron). The church building made of brick in Gothic style was consecrated in 1473 with support of Bishop Andrew of Bnin and the Maciej Czarny’s sons. After the Swedish invasion a new chapel of the Virgin Mary as Our Lady of Loreto in Baroque style was built in 1668, simultaneously with church rebuilding. The church and monastery renewal with the new facade was completed in 1712.
October 25, 2012