Bob McPhail 6:31 a.m., May 19
The Order of the Philippines (St. Philip Neri Congregation). Philippine Oratory by the St. Margaret Church in Srodka was founded in 1671. Originally the monks lived in a presbytery building converted for their needs. In 1746 the construction of the monastery started and lasted until 1777. The early 19th century convent consisted only of two priests, hence Bishop Ignatius Raczynski had to dissolve it in 1805. Two years later the building was allocated to a hospital for poor priests. In the years 1848 to 1877 and from 1893 it housed the orphanage run by nuns. In 1900 both the chapel and the east wing were built. A few years ago the Philippines (novitiate) returned to the premises.
October 3, 2012