Robert Bush noon, Oct. 23
Old Garrison Cemetery ‘Founded 1920’, Commonwealth Section in Poznan (to the north of Saint Adalbert Hill). The south-western slope of the Winiary hill is now occupied by cemeteries for soldiers who died in the two World Wars. There are Russian, Polish, and British sections. The Russian war cemetery contains the graves of 5,830 soviet soldiers and 1 Polish pilot. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery Details: 174 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated and the 283 Second World War burials (airmen died in bombing operations on Stettin / Szczecin, execution victims / mass escape from Stalag Luft 3 in Sagan / Zagan, other prisoners of war during the German occupation from camps in Sagan, Poznan, and Schubin / Szubin, and 19 other nationalities’ war graves). The Winiary hill was transformed into a fortress in the 19th century. In 1945 it was destroyed during a week-long siege.
December 6, 2012