The Canyoneers 8 a.m., July 30
Crock-Potted Tuna, Bean, & Veggie Stew
Submitted by LaPlacaRifa48619
One of the nice things about going to a "Food Bank" is the various amount of veggies, pasta, and dried beans that is included in the package. Since I made such a trip, I thought that I would put together a easy-to-make stew with some of the ingredients I got (plus a few I had left in my "canned, dried, and powdered" box). This recipe involves the use of beer as a broth base. Know that when you cook with beer or wine, the alcohol evaporates as you cook. That, and by adding seasoned salt to your broth, makes trying to catch a buzz from drinking the broth very risk business indeed!
- 1 lb Great Northern Beans
- 15 ozs can of mixed veggies
- 12 ozs can of water-packed tuna
- 15 ozs can of sauerkraut
- 24 ozs beer (for broth)
- 2 tsps seasoned salt
Let's get cooking!
1) Wash out Crock-Pot.
2) Pour beans into Crock Pot, add water to cover.
3) Plug in Crock-Pot, set for high.
4) Leave on High Heat for two hours.
After two hours:
1) Shut down Crock Pot.
2) Pull ceramic pot out of heater.
3) Drain and rinse beans, return to ceramic pot.
4) Put pot back in heating element.
5) Open all canned items.
6) Pour canned items into cooker, mix well.
7) Add beer and seasoned salt, give one last stir.
8) Re-cover pot, re-set for high heat.
9) Let cook for 4-6 hours.
When cooking's done, serve and enjoy.
Goes great with saltines, oyster crackers, and French bread.
Added Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2010