- 25453 Lake Wohlford Road, Escondido, CA 92025 | Directions
Serene Lake Wohlford lies near the headwaters of Escondido Creek, its mirroring surface reflecting the shaggy-with-chaparral, boulder-studded hillsides that confine it. As early as 1895, water impounded for the benefit of Escondido’s farms and households began to collect behind a small dam here. The present, larger Wohlford Dam, completed in 1924, holds back a maximum 7100 acre-feet of water — not a lot, even by San Diego County standards. Much of the water entering Lake Wohlford today comes by way of the Escondido Canal, which originates at a point on the upper San Luis Rey River.
- "First trout at Lake Wohlford" · Dec. 13, 2014
- "6,000 pounds of Nebraska Tailwalker" · Dec. 7, 2014
- "Abundant evidence of the Kumeyaay" · Oct. 15, 2014
- Roam-O-Rama · June 11, 2008