Ian Anderson 1 p.m., May 25
Peter Opalinski of Sierakow (1586-1624), Property Magnate and Greater Poland Governor-General (portrait in the City Museum, Renaissance City Hall in Poznan). Voivod Peter Opalinski (boat in his coat of arms) had two sons: Christopher and Luke, and three daughters: Anna, Frances, and Sophie. He became famous as a fearless warrior of King Ladislaus IV in the campaign against Moscow with a detachment of 150 hussars. In the Battle of Chocim as a Commissioner of the Commonwealth he had the two companies of hussars and harquebusiers (arquebus - large-caliber firearm). In an Italian war he fought valiantly at the head of the Cossack company and Sierakow Hussars formed at his own expense. In reward for his services King Sigismund III appointed him in 1618 as Castellan and in 1622 Governor of Poznan. In 1642 he was rewarded by his sons with a tombstone in the Sierakow church transept. This is the greatest monument of black marble and white alabaster erected and survived in Poland (made in Cracow by an Italian sculptor Sebastian Sala).
Posted November 26, 2012