Dave Good 7 p.m., May 27
The St. Francis the Seraphic, Observants, or St. Bernard Church and Franciscan Monastery in Poznan (Garbary Street). One of the most beautiful baroque churches in the city is situated in the Bernardine Square. The important historic dates on the church wall: the foundation origins (1455-7), the church construction (1473), Swedish invasion (1655), reconstruction of the ruin in its present form (1658-1668), the monastery dissolution (1835), war damages (1945), monks’ return home (1947), reconstruction end (1988). During the Swedish Deluge, the church was burnt down by the Brandenburg army. The reconstruction was completed in 1668 by both Christopher Bonadura the Older and George Catenazzi. Up to the present day, the most valuable things stolen from the sacristy and monastery library are still in the Royal Libraries in Stockholm and Uppsala.
Posted October 25, 2012