Garrett Harris 8 p.m., Aug. 19
The St. Joseph Church and Discalced Carmelite Monastery in Poznan (opposite site to the St. Adalbert Church). This is a Baroque shrine with a nave, two aisles, and an impressive front facade. Among its interior designs are barrel vaulting with lunettes in the nave and the presbytery, sail vaulting in the bays, and barrel vaulting in the transept. The brick church was built in the years 1644-78 by Christopher Bonadura the Older and George Catenazzi, rebuilt inside and converted into the garrison evangelical church after the monastery suppression (Greater Paland was under Prussian occupation in 1795-1918), then as the garrison Roman Catholic Church in a prewar period, and renovated in 1945 by the Discalced Carmelites. The Carmelite order arrived at a wooden church in 1618 (construction started in 1617).
Posted October 25, 2012