Garrett Harris 8 p.m., Sept. 16
The St. Adalbert Church Reredos (Saint Adalbert Hill in Poznan). After War World II, the new high altar made in 1953 by the sculptor Anthony Szulc refers to the medieval polyptych (altarpiece filled with a late gothic scene of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary originated in the former half of the 16th century, in the beginning without the Mary statue). It derives from the former Literary Chapel altar formed by Bishop Adam Konarski in 1571 for the Literary Brotherhood. By the mid-19th century the church housed 11 altars in a small interior. In the latter half of the 19th and early 20th century, the old altars were partially removed. At present three other altars standing in the aisles were assembled from the remains of altars damaged during the Citadel liberation in 1945.
Posted October 25, 2012