Ian Anderson 6 p.m., March 7
This is the Junipero Serra Museum in Presidio Park. The museum, designed by architect William Templeton Johnson, was built in 1929 to house and display the collection of the San Diego Historical Society, which was founded in 1928 by George Marston. The museum is often mistaken for the Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala. The first mission, established in 1769, was indeed erected on the presidio site, but was abandoned after five years due to lack of a dependable water source and other problems. At that time, the mission was moved to its current site at 10818 San Diego Mission Road.
Posted June 4, 2010