The Canyoneers 2:30 p.m., Feb. 10
The covered portico at Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala. Directly behind this walkway is an excavation site that dates back to 1769 when the original mission was built was on this site. The current church, which is actually the fifth incarnation of the mission (due to expansions and a rebuild after an 1812 earthquake) was built in 1813. This portico was built in 1931 during a period of restoration. It is a re-creation of the original portico which had long been destroyed.
Posted March 11, 2010