What word do you want eliminated from the English language?

Asked by Jane Belanger

January 12, 2011

Cindy Rodriguez

From Mt. Helix (Accountress)

"Politically correct.” I think we’re too politically correct. Sometimes we need to just tell it like it is — not be rude, but I think people tiptoe around things more than they should.

Simone Monroe

From Santee (Barrista/Dancer)

The N word. I hear it a lot — I live in Santee.

Ashley Swackhamer

From North Park (Barrista)

My least favorite word is “Starbucks.” I really hate when people come in here [Filter Coffeehouse] and they’re, like, “I’ll take a venti.” Or a “tall.” I’m, like, “I really don’t know what size that makes.”

Kaiden Montana

From North Park (Student)

The word “idiot.” It’s misused all the time. “Idiot savant” is actually someone who’s very smart. They used to refer to artistic people as idiot savants. People throw it out there too often without knowing what it really means.

Elisabeth Meferia

From City Heights (Teller and Hostess)

The N word — “nigger.” Now it’s, like, white, black, Mexicans...everyone’s using it. It divides us. Anything that divides us needs to be eliminated. God made us as one. We all need to get along.

Jennifer Miller

From Normal Heights (Retired)

Facebook.

Comments

fran12 Jan. 18, 2011 @ 5:46 a.m.

Not a word ... but a phrase "gone Missing" Really how can someone be gone missing? Nancy Grace please use either gone or missing, not together!

David Dodd Jan. 19, 2011 @ 12:28 a.m.

The word, "Robust" is not only overused, it has been hijacked by the business world. Nothing is born robust and you don't breed robust, it happens of its own accord.

"Our assets will become robust."

No, they won't, moron; simply because you spent 37 minutes coming up with that note just for this conference and all of us silently think that you're an idiot, nothing is going to become robust!

Rocket_J_Squirrel Jan. 23, 2011 @ 9:43 p.m.

"Compelling" - I get compelled to throw my shoe at the TV every time some knucklehead reporter says it.

Duhbya Jan. 24, 2011 @ 2:47 p.m.

"Moving forward".....guaranteed to jumpstart my cringe factor.

JustWondering Jan. 25, 2011 @ 7:46 a.m.

Isn't that interesting...."Moving Forward" is Fox News' new Logo while MSNBC is "Lean Forward".

ParahSalin Jan. 24, 2011 @ 2:50 p.m.

"Refudiate". Heck, I'm told that's not even a word!

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 24, 2011 @ 8:17 p.m.

Hahahah...Parah is back! Tell Bristol I am going to visit her this weekend at her brand new, all paid for in cash, AZ home!!!!!!!

I love Britol, that is my kind of woman!

ParahSalin Jan. 25, 2011 @ 10:28 a.m.

Ya know what, Mr. Puppy, at first I thought you were just another slick back-alley mongrel, but now, after reading that ponzi-scheme guy's comments, I think maybe you've got a pretty good pedigree. Tell ya what, Arfie, after Bris is done slicin' (wink) her latest loser, I think maybe you should indeed make a dash to her kennel. Just one thing, though.....you're not one a them evil Demoncrats, are ya? If so, the deal's off - quicker than an Alaskan gubernatorial term! Smooches, pooches....

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 25, 2011 @ 11:47 a.m.

Ohhhh...there IS a chance for me!!!!

And for the record, I am an Independant Parah!!!!!I am NOT one of them evil Demoncrats!

I do find Bristol very attractive-she has all the curves a pup like me needs to snuggle up to and be happy.........

ParahSalin Jan. 25, 2011 @ 1:24 p.m.

Woohoo.......then you're in like Rin Tin Tin.

Gosia Jan. 31, 2011 @ 5:37 p.m.

From English leanguage I would love to eliminate one word : I hate.