What do you wish you could afford?

Asked by Jane Belanger

November 17, 2010

Jimmy Hendricks

From Downtown (CEO of Deal Current)

I wish I could afford a Tesla, an electric car. I want everything electrical. Everyone should go electric!

Michael Ford

From City Heights (Unemployed)

I’d actually really like to have enough money to start up a lab to help find a cure for AIDS. It’s something that really touches me because my mom died from AIDS.

Andre Pate

From Hillcrest (Retail/Student)

To retire. I would just go to school and study interesting things. I wouldn’t have pressure on myself to do anything that I need to do. There’s so much we need to do. It’d be nice to do what I want. There’s so many cool classes to take.

Kenyatta Smith

From Lemon Grove (Esthetician)

A spa day. Just a full day at the spa, definitely.

Val Buss

From College Area (Campus Minister)

A marimba. It’s a xylophone that’s really long and big. I majored in it, but now I can’t ever play it because I don’t own one.

Amy Hunt

From Pacific Beach (Legal Solutions)

I wish I could afford to travel around the world.

Comments

Evelyn Nov. 17, 2010 @ 12:32 p.m.

"There’s so much we need to do."

Nothing is ever 'a need to do.' We always have choices. We choose to prioritize some things above other things

Andre Pate may also want to consider checking his finances and finding a way to retire earlier rather than sooner, or find a way to survive and not work so much. I can only assume that's what Pate meant when he said there's much needed to be done.

Besides that gripe, I wish I could afford a new laptop paid in cash. Savings and/or credit cards don't mean I can afford it, it means I can buy it.

MsGrant Nov. 17, 2010 @ 12:55 p.m.

Pining for "things" is unimportant.

"Luxuries unfit us for returning to hardships easily endured before." Mary Mapes Dodge

David Dodd Nov. 17, 2010 @ 1:09 p.m.

To write, without having to worry about getting paid for it. If I could scrape out 20 grand per year writing, then I could afford to write. I don't need much, just a roof, an electrical outlet, the awesome and inexpensive Tijuana food, and the occasional bottle of tequila.

MsGrant Nov. 17, 2010 @ 1:49 p.m.

Don't forget the 'cigs ;). Actually, this was a refreshingly unselfish group of interviewees. An electric car, a lab to cure aids, the ability to retire to learn and help, just ONE day at the spa to refresh, an instrument, and the ability to travel. My faith in mankind has been restored!! Nice job, San Diego!!

David Dodd Nov. 17, 2010 @ 9:37 p.m.

Forgot about the ciggies. They're pretty cheap here. Mine cost a buck sixty a pack. Cancer is extra ;)

nan shartel Nov. 20, 2010 @ 12:01 p.m.

a cure for GREED...but money would only fuel it

on my bucket list is the Transcontinental Train Trip across Canada for Bobby and i and anyone else that wanted to hitch that fine ride!!

~~Oh Canada~~

hahahahahahaha ;-D

nan shartel Nov. 20, 2010 @ 12:05 p.m.

i'd love to get that electrical to Refried...didn't know about the roof...good Tequila if he'll share...hahahahahaha ;-D

MsGrant Nov. 20, 2010 @ 1:35 p.m.

I'm in, Nan!! Can we bring Shatner? ;) Speaking of roofs, mine is leaking. Ugh. The joys of home-ownership.

Founder Nov. 20, 2010 @ 4:31 p.m.

• Very Library -*

This is easy for me I've planned it out you see

North Park's tiny Library Would no longer be scary

When my ship comes in It'd be a has-been

I'd fund a private Library that was tall That was never subject to Brown Outs at all

It would teach the City what can really be done If greed is replaced with Educational Fun

It would be state of the Art and all Free And cover everything from A to Z

You could access it all the time For those like me that like to Rhyme

Plus for everyone that loves Haiku I'd make sure it was some shade of Blue

Gosia Jan. 31, 2011 @ 5:49 p.m.

I wish I could afford house on the beach in La Jolla. I'm just dreaming.