What's your take on the Tea Party?

Asked by Jane Belanger

December 15, 2010

Christina Sanchez

From North Park (Teacher/Researcher)

Ugh. It’s a group run by hate and ignorance that has actually influenced social and political policies and cultural policies. It’s scary. They’re scapegoating and victimizing weaker groups, like poverty. They’re victimizing ethnicities. They’re misinterpreting the constitution. Honestly, I’m appalled that they’ve been able to influence funding for politicians, especially like neoconservative Republicans. It’s just scary.

Gino Badolati

From Solana Beach (Manager)

The beauty of America is that everyone is free to do as they so much please. I can’t really comment on what they want to do. Everybody has their freedom. If somebody wants to do that, it’s totally cool. I will say, however, on the opposite side, that I am against people that oppose them. Even if you disagree with them, as hu­­man beings they have a right to their own thoughts, just like everyone else does. So, I disagree with them, but I also disagree with those that want to stop them. Because then you’re actually becoming just like them.

Kreg Harsha

From City Heights (Navy)

I think they’re a very confused bunch. I think they’re a confused group of people who don’t have their own ideals. They don’t consider the big picture. They just want to try to hit certain points to cause a reaction and incite people.

Cary Dolan

From South Park (Sales Representative)

I guess with every political party you have your good points and your bad. I see some of their good. They are trying to reduce the deficit, and that is a big problem. On the bad side, there are so many programs that they want to cut that I think are important. The thing about the Tea Party...it’s everybody for themselves; everybody’s an island. And I’m just more about community. That’s the reason I’d never be part of it. And you’ve got some wacky people in there like the Sharon Engles, the Sarah Palins, people like that. They’re an interesting bunch. Their hats are great, though!

Patrick Fitzmaurich

From North Park (Customer Service Manager)

I’m a liberal, so I find a lot of their beliefs to be sort of outside of what I subscribe to, but they’re free to meet up and do what they want. They can congregate and come up with ideas. But I don’t think any of them will help get us out of anything important.

Jay Vivian

From San Diego (Inventor)

It’s flattering. It’s funny. It’s sarcastic. It’s genius. And it’s finally given somebody a reason to ask the question, which is great.

Comments

acannell Dec. 20, 2010 @ 10:20 p.m.

jesus christ could this be more of a testament to the blank, happy-go-lucky, vapid people living in san diego?

is it so hard to see that the government is a bloated, wasteful, incompetent organization? why do you want MORE?

do you understand why its called the TEA party? do any of you know? its because we are sick of being TAXED. F*** THE GOVERNMENT.

a2zresource Dec. 21, 2010 @ 12:44 a.m.

I'm not ready to buy what the movement is selling precisely because it doesn't offer me anything better than the government it wants to f***. This is the same mentality that generally blacklisted scouting out of public education but gave us no effective replacement for integrating teenagers into society, leaving us with the Bird Rock Bandits.

Engineer something a whole lot better than an anarchist-handbook road to revolution, and the movement might actually gain some traction, but right now, all I see is the kind of anti-intellectual knee-jerk approach that produces no positive results on anything... unless f***ing things up worse than they already are like an early Mexican presidential succession by revolution is really the goal here.

acannell Dec. 22, 2010 @ 8:07 a.m.

My mistake for giving you something to focus on besides the actual topic. Take out the "F*** THE GOVERNMENT" part. Now what do you have to say? Do you want more taxes? More beauracracy?

Many people who agree with the tea party felt and thought the way they did before the tea party existed. Leave the sales pitches to the dems and repubs.

Lets hear you explain how we need more government and how you'd like to pay more taxes. LETS HEAR IT.

And if all you can do is mirror what I say and ignore the topic again YOU are the salesman and you LOSE.

nan shartel Dec. 26, 2010 @ 1:59 p.m.

thx for the Christmas laugh u 2...hahahahahahahaha..;-D

Evelyn Dec. 27, 2010 @ 8:09 a.m.

No sarcasm.

I think taxes are a good thing. Government should be there for the people, and protect/aid those that need it most. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Sad really, if it was a non profit--as I'm starting to think, government should be--it would have been shut down years ago.

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 29, 2010 @ 12:58 p.m.

I agree taxes are good- so that services can be had.

But you said you wanted too pay MORE taxes-and under the current use of taxes I cannot agree with that, and thought you were joking.

MillerJones Dec. 26, 2010 @ 10:55 a.m.

Hey Tea Party idiots. You want the same thing most Americans want. But like brainless Sara, "Do you love your freedom," Palin, you hijack mainstream ideals, pretend they're new, and belong to the Tea Party. My impression of the Tea Party is young dolts with no education, and old dolts just awakening from a 40 year political slumber.

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 26, 2010 @ 12:52 p.m.

LOL...not my view, and I think when you generalize liek that you lose friends and people.

Democrats are not all liberal and Repub's are not all conservative.

And Indpendants like me are not all in the middle.

Joe Poutous Dec. 29, 2010 @ 8:57 a.m.

Things that I'm unhappy about: - bloated government. - wasteful government.

Things that scare me: - big business steering government. - the amount of men and money we are spending overseas. - the amount of money we are borrowing from China. - the "big picture" unemployment problem (outsourcing, education, etc). - the campaign of fear that has been spewing from talk radio and the internet for the last few years.

We need changes in government. I don't know how to fix it... and the people that think they know how scare me. The Tea Party strikes me as just a bunch of pissed off people reacting poorly to the situation. They do seem to have a few good ideas, but the negatives really outweigh the positives.

I wonder how history will be written on this one...

• Joe