How would you prefer to die?

Asked by Josh Board

September 2, 2009

Jamie Gould

From Normal Heights (Teacher)

It would have to be with no pain and suffering. Just a quick death. Maybe on an airplane, but one that isn’t falling for a few minutes and you’re thinking about it. If the plane crashed quickly and you didn’t know what was happening, that would probably be the best way to have it crash.

Kevin Shatwell

From Mission Valley (Interpreter)

Well, I guess I’d want to go doing an extreme sport. Something like heli-skiing or skydiving. Maybe doing one of those base jumps into the Grand Canyon. Something exciting like that, where I’d go out in a blaze of glory.

Paul Dierolf

From San Marcos (Heating and Air Conditioning)

Going really fast in my car out in the salt flats, until it blows up. I’ve spent $25,000 on my Datsun 240Z. It has an ’83 turbo engine, and if I died, I’d want it going at high speeds, with adrenaline involved; racing your car, going as fast as possible, and hitting a wall. It would be a fun way to go. And quick.

Cari Olson

From San Marcos (Executive Marketing Manager)

I would want to die cuddling with Marky Mark Wahlberg. He’s hot as hell. I’m still upset that he didn’t get the Oscar nomination for Boogie Nights. I like him as an actor, and I thought he was cute when he did those underwear ads and dabbled in a music career.

Kevin Thornton

From Pacific Beach (Bartender)

I guess I would want it to be nice and painless. I definitely don’t want to drown. I’m afraid of dying that way. I know how to swim and I used to surf. But I don’t go out in the ocean anymore because I’m afraid of being swallowed by a whale. I guess getting shot in the head would work, since it’s quick.

William Ciocco

From Pacific Beach (Blueprints)

I don’t want it to be burning or in some kind of big explosion. Suffocation wouldn’t be good. I guess peacefully and being in a happy state would be the best way to go. You don’t want it to hurt too much. Perhaps peacefully in your sleep, having a nice dream.

Comments

rickeysays Sept. 2, 2009 @ 5:30 p.m.

Did Kevin actually say he was afraid of being swallowed by a whale? Did he read Moby Dick then have a nightmare about it?Hilarious.

PistolPete Sept. 2, 2009 @ 11:31 p.m.

I'd like to go through a wood chipper ala Fargo style. It would be interesting knowing for a split second what it would feel like. Yeah. I'm a pretty morbid guy....

Duhbya Sept. 3, 2009 @ 8:01 a.m.

I would like to go with Pedro Pistola at my bedside reciting his ubiquitous "po(st)etry" to me as I lay gasping. The pain would be unbearable, but oh, so quick! How's that for morbid, Pete?

Josh Board Sept. 3, 2009 @ 8:21 a.m.

I did tell Kevin that very thing. I said I could understand the shark attack (and now another one in Carlsbad, which didn't kill a woman, just got her leg).

Pete, I'm guessing the woodchipper thing would feel about the way you'd imagine it. I mean, there's nothing that would be all that surprising about it, dontcha think?

PistolPete Sept. 3, 2009 @ 9:29 a.m.

I probably wouldn't feel a thing if the blades were sharp and someone threw me in. And I see there's still no love lost between Duhbya and I. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkGDrV_2ehI

Duhbya Sept. 3, 2009 @ 10:51 a.m.

Are you kidding, Pete? You mean I'm wasting my best stuff on you? Well, I never. Who figured you for a spoilsport? That's it, I quit.

thestoryteller Sept. 5, 2009 @ 8:38 p.m.

I've known two people who died in their sleep and I wonder if they really did slip away peacefully. How do we know they panic and no one can hear them trying to scream because they couldn't breathe.

I can think of many ways that I don't want to die, but I can't think of one way I want to go. I guess I just have to live forever...

magicsfive Sept. 5, 2009 @ 9:47 p.m.

To live forever you have to become a vampire lol j/k. i am sorry to hear about your friends dying in their sleep mindy but chances are, it was a peaceful death. my condolences. seriously, that would be how i want to go, unless it is from a heart attack from having killer sex, but believe me, i am not making light of your friends' situation. i am hoping they didn't suffer. really.

Josh Board Sept. 6, 2009 @ 12:32 a.m.

People always joke that they'd like to go while having sex. But really, that's just a heart attack. And, wouldn't you much rather die AFTER having sex. Think about it.

There's some famous actor...I forget who...Mel Gibson perhaps. He has said in interviews, that his father died that way. I should Google and find out who it was.

And, that's a good point storyteller. Someone could be asleep, and yes, if you DIED while you were sleeping, fine. But what if there was a huge amount of pain, and you woke up. It could be an hour of you thrashing around, but if there isn't a person next to you, nobody knows that you spent an hour in agonizing pain. They just see you on your bed and think "Oh...well...that's good. At least it was peaceful, in their sleep."

I remember a debate on a show years ago, because someone said drowning would be the worst way to go. And I agreed. But this scientist was claiming that when you drown, it's like your high on marijuana. I'm not sure how he got that, as he was still alive.

And the few times we've all gotten water into our lungs, I'm guessing it's not the same as when that water is in your bong. Although, both lead to coughing for the next couple of seconds.

PistolPete Sept. 6, 2009 @ 1:34 a.m.

I think burning would be the worst way to die. Drowning would be like going to sleep. Maybe not as peaceful,but kind of like that.

Josh Board Sept. 6, 2009 @ 7:40 a.m.

Actually Pete, I think you're right. Scientifically, these guys talked about it. I think it was in a Reader story about a guy who was an artist, listened to heavy metal, and had a few mental problems. He decided the best way to kill himself would be dousing his body in gasoline and lighting himself on fire. Well, he quickly jumped into a lake, and was completely black from the burns, aside from the whites of his eyes. And I believe a scientist commented on that being the most painful way to die, because of the pain involved and how long it takes.