At around 3:30 p.m. on May 21, a gray-haired man in a white T-shirt stopped his pickup truck on the northbound on ramp of I-15 at Gopher Canyon Road. The man said to witnesses he was going to commit suicide. He did.

As a CHP unit was rolling toward the scene, the man raised a 22-caliber handgun to his head. San Marcos sheriff’s units were on the way, too, but it was too late by the time law enforcement arrived, according to the sheriff’s communications center’s Lt. Nelson.

The CHP immediately shut down the northbound on-ramp upon arrival.

Lou Regello of Fallbrook was driving with his girlfriend and her adult son as they turned left onto the on-ramp and saw two stopped cars on the right and the pickup truck on the left. People were waving at him to not stop. He saw the body and immediately shouted to his two passengers to turn away. “Don’t look, don’t look,” Regello shouted. “I didn’t want them seeing him lying there. It was a gruesome scene,” he said. Regello said the man clearly had a gunshot wound to the head.

Regello believes it must have just happened as they were approaching the I-5/Gopher Canyon interchange, as no police officers were yet on the scene. He and his family’s conversation on the way home was about the preciousness of life and why it is important to be kind to one another.

Comments

Ken Harrison May 22, 2014 @ 6:47 a.m.

Sorry Shelley, I wasn't there. Glad you were. I only reported what was told to me by the witness that called me just after they drove onto the freeway, followed by a Sheriff's Dept. spokesperson reading me the CHP's data transmitted to his agency. Both sources mentioned the pick up truck. This was all in the first 1/2 hour of the incident. Perhaps details changed after the investigation began. Sheriff's clearly said to me twice - CHP reported it was an 1145 - a witnessed suicide. CHP knew when they rolled up it was not a murder, probably because of your call and those of others. Thanks for being willing to get involved, many would not have stopped.

NorthCountyDogTraining May 22, 2014 @ 9:44 a.m.

Sorry Ken Harrison, I was a bit rather upset yesterday, still a bit today. It was a very very sad thing to see. I felt so bad for the fellow. I went there today and put some flowers, made a little makeshift cross and wrote a little note. I can only imagine how alone this fellow felt and I wanted at least his spirit to know that someone cared what happened to him and wanted his spirit to be taken care of. I attached a picture for you to use if you wish. My only way of apologizing to you for snapping at you. If you want to know what the note said, I will give you that as well if you wish.

Ken Harrison May 28, 2014 @ 8:02 a.m.

Shelley, Please post the photo here and your note. I'm sure others would like to read as well. Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

Ken Harrison May 28, 2014 @ 8:02 a.m.

NorthCountyDogTraining May 22, 2014 @ 12:40 p.m.

They were wrong about the witnessed suicide. Nobody witnessed it, Just a bunch of us drove up one after the other and called in. We explained to the 911 operator what the situation was. When the officer came up, we explained to him that nobody witnessed it, that there was a gun by his foot and that we saw a suicide note in his vehicle through the passenger side window. The fire dept came up and they immediately checked him for signs of life. As soon as they confirmed that he was gone, the officer took our information and let us go.

leolionlady May 22, 2014 @ 9:16 a.m.

I just can't help but wonder...what kind of RIGHT WING RHETORIC PAPER you people have become and who do you allow to RUN it ? I am flabbergsted at seeing something that I cannot beleive is Ok. Even a 5 yr old would KNOW BETTER. Upon scrolling through the "More From The Web" section of this site... I stumble upon the most Ignorant and Useless article , that only explains the Lack of Professionalism of the now "Silly and Right Wing Leaning" paper we use to call The Reader. The article , once clicked...is titled "Pelosi just laughed in your face". You people are so LOW....and Unprofessional to Post such a Stupid and Useless piece of So Called Journalism. The bashing of a Party who actually CARES....is about as sick as your paper has become. Its' pretty sad..because as a society, until we can get USELESS MEDIA TYPES..to STAY the heck out of trying to LIE about what Liberals and Progressives do...and NEVER call out the Obstructionist Party we know as the RepubliCON Party....then Low Information voters will never GET IT. So when you decide to post things that show how the Republican Party and their Cult like behavior...are the ones "Laughing in many a Peoples's Faces"....then you can call that responsible "Journalism." But until you do...consider yourselves USELESS !!!!

NorthCountyDogTraining May 22, 2014 @ 9:48 a.m.

leolionlady, this is about a man that died. No idea what was going on in his life that brought him to this conclusion but please, have a little respect for the poor fellow and rant about this paper on another thread.