• Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

The City of San Diego has removed two single-family homes from Academy of Our Lady of Peace–owned property, per a previous consent decree. The removal had been ordered to occur by May 1, 2014. The two houses were transported temporarily to an empty parking lot at the former AT&T building, at the northeast corner of Texas Street and Howard Avenue.

A posted notice from a representative for District 3 councilmember Todd Gloria says the homes will be moved later to the city's Chollas Operations Yard, located at 2700 Caminito Chollas.

From a statement issued by the San Diego Public Works Department, “The long term plan is for the homes to continue their lives as residences after final locations are determined and environmental review is completed.” Public Works also explained they “should be moved by the middle of June to Chollas. The storage area has been leased for the period of three months to accommodate the storage period of the houses: $3,000 for the first month and $1,000 for each of the following months.”

The lot is now surrounded by a chain-link privacy fence. That's for security reasons, due to transients previously camping outside the fence but on the grounds of the empty building.

The block-long property is now owned by Community HousingWorks (CHW), with future development on the calendar. The organization's vice president, Dave Gatzke, said, “CHW was pleased to be able to help the City of San Diego preserve this asset.”

Matt Potter previously reported in his February 2013 Reader story that Academy of Our Lady of Peace was allowed to proceed with its planned expansion, and it received $500,000 in a case settlement with the city. Councilmembers Todd Gloria and Sherri Lightner voted against that consent decree.

  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

More from the web

Comments

Visduh May 13, 2014 @ 11:28 a.m.

OK, we know what is happening, but not why. As in why is the city moving those houses that were on property owned by OLP, and in the way of expansion plans? As in why those old and generally decrepit houses are planned for preservation and relocation to other spots. Seems to me that OLP holds all the cards here, and if they wanted to tear down those houses, they should have been allowed to do so. Care to elaborate?

0

dwbat May 13, 2014 @ 12:22 p.m.

Visduh, Matt Potter reported more than two years ago on "why" the houses were slated for removal. The link is in the last paragraph, but here it is again: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs...

1

Visduh May 13, 2014 @ 2:35 p.m.

I knew the story about the expansion of OLP, and commented several times to Matt's story in 2013. The fine-line matter here was why those two houses became the responsibility of the city. Looking closely in the article, I see what is likely the explanation: they are historic. The city probably could not refuse to preserve them after using them as a reason to deny OLP the expansion plan. So, to save face, when the city was forced to cave on the issue, they had to save the houses, somehow.

0

dwbat May 24, 2014 @ 5:03 p.m.

What I've heard is that they will be used for low-income housing.

0

dwbat June 12, 2014 @ 2:20 p.m.

More activity at the site today when I went by.

0

dwbat Aug. 15, 2014 @ 7:59 p.m.

Today when I went by, there are fewer pieces of houses there.

None

0

Sign in to comment

Join our
newsletter list

Enter to win $25 at Broken Yolk Cafe

Each newsletter subscription
means another chance to win!

Close