San Diego attorney Albert G. Rava is charging discrimination again. He has filed a suit in Superior Court charging that in a ten-day promotion last year, AMC Entertainment offered free popcorn to federal employees, but not to state, county, and city employees, according to Courthouse News Service.

The lawsuit charges that super-affluent federal workers such as North County Congressman Darrell Issa, worth more than $220 million, could munch for free while others had to shell out hard-earned cash for their popcorn.

In 2004, according to SFGate.com, the Oakland A's baseball team had a breast cancer awareness day, featuring free mammograms and free hats for the first 7500 women through the gate. Rava sued, claiming the free hats discriminated against men. In 2003, he filed suit against Club Med, which advertised free or discounted trip to women. That same year, he sued San Diego nightspots over similar gender-related indignities; the bars settled for $125,000.

In 2006, Preston Turegano of the Union-Tribune wrote how Rava and paralegal Steven Surrey had sued or threatened to sue San Diego arts groups, including Lamb's Players Theatre, Spreckels Theatre, and the San Diego Repertory Theatre. Through the years, Rava has filed dozens of suits, often for discrimination against men.

Comments

eastlaker July 11, 2014 @ 7:04 a.m.

I have heard that persistent litigants can be named nuisances and their right to file law suits revoked due to misuse.

It might be time.

Don Bauder July 11, 2014 @ 8:56 a.m.

eastlaker: Yes, the legal term is vexatious litigant. Several San Diegans have been slapped with that designation by the courts, including some that I have tangled with. I can't find that Rava has been named a vexatious litigant. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell July 11, 2014 @ 11:49 a.m.

Terry Brown might be at risk of a discrimination lawsuit if Rava can prove Terry keeps male hookers from working in the hotel. I know things haven't been going well for Terry lately, aside from the Filner resignation. Terry's pushing 80 years old and U-T San Diego reported he had to get help from an LA outfit because he's $70 million in debt. Where did the money go?

Don Bauder July 11, 2014 @ 12:45 p.m.

Burwell: I did not see the U-T San Diego story indicating that Brown is $70 million in debt. Some days I don't see the U-T at all, and other days I just skim it.

As to male hookers: never heard that one either. What about other San Diego hoteliers? Do they boot out the male hookers but let the female hookers operate on the premises?

As to Brown nearing 80. Me, too. I'm 78. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell July 11, 2014 @ 1:37 p.m.

I am certain Terry Brown does his best to keep both male and female hookers out of the hotel. But if a renegade employee working at night was barring male hookers and allowing female hookers into the hotel without Brown's knowledge, he could be hit with a very nasty discrimination lawsuit. Terry needs to be vigilant to prevent this from happening and train his employees well.

Don Bauder July 11, 2014 @ 5:01 p.m.

Burwell: When I was at the U-T, a very good reporter covering tourism wanted to do a story on what hookers add to the hotel business and the San Diego economy. I thought it was a good idea but it was killed by editors above me.

San Diego's hookers once had a trade association with the acronym COYOTES (Cast Out Your Old, Tired Ethics). For awhile, their demands were publicized. One day the Union had a big story on a reputable group's anniversary. Some elderly ladies dressed in Victorian clothing for the celebration. The ladies were featured in a huge picture on the front page of the B section. Right next to that picture was a story about the COYOTES. The headline began, "COYOTES howl..." Best, Don Bauder

Bob_Hudson July 11, 2014 @ 12:18 p.m.

"Where did the money go?"

Maybe he paid for that free popcorn.

Don Bauder July 11, 2014 @ 12:48 p.m.

Bob Hudson: Since Brown does not work for the public sector, he would have had to pay for his own popcorn. But $70 million worth of popcorn is a lot, particularly since it had to be devoured in a ten-day period. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK July 12, 2014 @ 7:38 a.m.

following in the footsteps of Pinnock and Wakefield

Don Bauder July 12, 2014 @ 8:39 a.m.

Murphyjunk: Theodore A. Pinnock was a San Diego lawyer who filed reams of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) lawsuits against companies, particularly small businesses. The courts determined he used straw plaintiffs and he was both disbarred and declared a vexatious litigant.

His partner in the firm Pinnock & Wakefield, David Cogley Wakefield, who was involved in many of the suits, is still a member of the California Bar. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya July 12, 2014 @ 8:31 a.m.

Is there no longer a way to view all recent comments? If so, that's a major oversight, in my opinion.

Don Bauder July 12, 2014 @ 8:42 a.m.

Bob Pearl: There are judges who are very easy on lawyers who file lawsuit after lawsuit. That's despite the pileup of suits in the court system. Professional courtesy, I presume. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 12, 2014 @ 8:43 a.m.

Duhbya: I believe you can view all recent comments as usual, unless there is a change I don't know about. Please clarify. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya July 12, 2014 @ 9:46 a.m.

Don, it appears that the website has been changed again. Before this morning, one could click on "all comments" and view every comment posted within the previous two days or so. Does not appear to be possible now. I'll futz around with it when I'm not using my cell phone and access the site from my pc..

Don Bauder July 12, 2014 @ 12:28 p.m.

Duhbya: You got me. I know nothing about that. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya July 12, 2014 @ 9:59 a.m.

Don, I tried a different browser, and everything now appears as before. Think my phone is possessed.

Don Bauder July 12, 2014 @ 12:32 p.m.

Duhbya: I have never seen that before. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 12, 2014 @ 12:29 p.m.

Duhbya: Generally, punsters are possessed. Best, Don Bauder

ImJustABill July 12, 2014 @ 11:49 p.m.

Personally, I don't think class action lawsuits for which each plaintiff's damage is a small amount (say less than $1000) should be allowed. I think the only net effect of most of those lawsuits is to make money for lawyers.

If a business is doing something illegal I think it should be a criminal matter, not a civil matter.

Just my 2 cents.

Don Bauder July 13, 2014 @ 7:07 a.m.

ImJustABill: Yes, there are a lot of frivolous lawsuits on which only attorneys make money. And, yes, if something is illegal, it should be a criminal matter, or at least handled by a regulatory body.

HOWEVER: Our regulators have failed, as have criminal prosecutors. The Securities and Exchange Commission was set up to protect the public from Wall Street. It turned into an agency to protect Wall Street from the public. Some improvement is being made, but it will be a long time before that ship is turned around. Similarly, the California Public Utilities Commission is supposed to provide protection to consumers. It does exactly the reverse. Under its head, Mike Peevey (a former president of Southern California Edison), it tries to boost utilities' profits and screws consumers in the process.

So in circumstances such as these, class action lawsuits are necessary, even though there are many abuses. Best, Don Bauder

ImJustABill July 14, 2014 @ 9:05 p.m.

I don't know. I guess there are some circumstances where the class action lawsuits result in a net positive outcome to society. I guess sometimes there might be no other option. In the long run, however, I think there needs to be serious prison time for serious crimes or lawsuits just become an irritating cost of doing business as usual. But as you say, many of the agencies in charge of prosecuting serious white-collar crime have failed.

Don Bauder July 14, 2014 @ 9:13 p.m.

ImJustABill: One way to curb white collar crime is to step up criminal prosecutions sharply. So many white collar crimes simply wind up with a civil settlement, with the company paying a fine that is a tiny fraction of its assets -- and much of what is paid is written off on taxes. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 13, 2014 @ 7:09 a.m.

John Raines: Anyone who sings the song, "Every Day is Ladies' Day with Me," should go to jail. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan July 13, 2014 @ 10:54 a.m.

But it's OK for religions to discriminate against women? Lawsuit ripe.

Don Bauder July 13, 2014 @ 11:04 a.m.

shirleyberan: That's what the Supreme Court says. But the court's majority is dubious indeed. Best, Don Bauder