Longtime San Diego auto dealer Richard "Tony" McCune retired in April of last year after selling his National City auto dealership. It had been in his family for 65 years.

Now, a yacht, November Tango, formerly owned by McCune, is on sale for a reduced price. Crow's Nest Yachts advertises "REDUCED AGAIN. Now $1,950,000. Seller wants offers!"

An interview with McCune in the Union-Tribune at the time of his retirement didn't mention his headline-making adventures in the late 1980s. Call-girl-ring madam Karen Wilkening, known as the "Rolodex Madam," had McCune as a customer, according to court testimony. A call-girl told in court of an assignation with McCune that had been arranged through Wilkening, her employer. Wilkening eventually spent time in prison.

At one point, Wilkening fled to the Philippines. She has stated that she took my book, Captain Money and the Golden Girl, with her. Every year, I used to give a speech to the Downtown Lions. One year, she gave a speech to the Lions several weeks before mine. There was a long line of members waiting outside to get in. There never was a line when I spoke, except perhaps to get out the door in a hurry afterward. I tried discussing reverse splits and still couldn't draw a Wilkening-sized audience.

Comments

Visduh Feb. 22, 2014 @ 4:16 p.m.

Hmmm. "November Tango" is, in the military phonetic alphabet, NT. What significance did that have for old Tony? Or was it renamed after he sold it?

Don Bauder Feb. 22, 2014 @ 5:55 p.m.

Visduh: Tony's old yacht is for sale. He was photographed on it in April of last year. I don't know if it is still his. But it is for sale at a reduced price. Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi Feb. 24, 2014 @ 10:13 a.m.

November Tango is named for "Nancy Tony"

Nancy is Mrs. McCune

Don Bauder Feb. 24, 2014 @ 11:26 a.m.

Ponzi: Believe it or not, while the McCune/Wilkening story was hot, I was giving a speech, and McCune's wife was on the podium next to me. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Feb. 22, 2014 @ 4:34 p.m.

I don't think Tony sold the yacht yet. In the U-T article from last year Tony is standing on his yacht, November Tango. See link below.

Don Bauder Feb. 22, 2014 @ 6:02 p.m.

Burwell: Yes, that is the U-T article that I mentioned in the blog item above. The article avoided the subject of Karen Wilkening. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Feb. 22, 2014 @ 6:14 p.m.

Omitting the scandal from the article was disgraceful. The scandal no doubt boosted Tony's effectiveness as a TV pitchman and boosted his sales. You can't buy publicity like that.

Don Bauder Feb. 22, 2014 @ 6:18 p.m.

Burwell: You may be right about sales. Only Tony's bean counters would know if business picked up as a result of all that publicity. Best, Don Bauder

danfogel Feb. 25, 2014 @ 10:41 a.m.

Don't know who owned it at the, but 3 or 4 yrs ago it was being offered by a broker in San Diego for around $3 million.

Don Bauder Feb. 25, 2014 @ 12:33 p.m.

danfogel: So three or four years ago, someone was asking a lacht for the yacht. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Feb. 25, 2014 @ 12:39 p.m.

But alas, no one bacht. Güte nacht.

Don Bauder Feb. 25, 2014 @ 1:55 p.m.

Duhbya: I suspected I would be one-uppsed by you, Duhbya. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Feb. 25, 2014 @ 8:16 p.m.

Moreover, you cast your line, and see what you cacht. Now please excuse me while I remove this hook from my cheek.

Don Bauder Feb. 26, 2014 @ 7:33 a.m.

Duhbya: This rachten contest has gachten hacht, but witty punsters we are nacht. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard Feb. 22, 2014 @ 6:32 p.m.

Never use your real name when committing crime. Funny how big shots don't know this. The girls know.

Don Bauder Feb. 23, 2014 @ 7:48 a.m.

Psycholizard: True, but some criminals WANT to go down in history. John Wilkes Booth was one. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Feb. 22, 2014 @ 6:46 p.m.

Don - I've tried a lot of things but what's a reverse split? And you said you don't know about kinky. Guess I gotta find your book.

Don Bauder Feb. 23, 2014 @ 7:53 a.m.

shirleyberan: In a reverse split, you turn in, say, five shares of your stock and get one share back. It's usually a method to raise the price of the stock by reducing the number of shares outstanding. But a reverse split does sound like some technique mastered by Marquis de Sade in his bedroom. In the conventional stock split, you get, say, two shares for every one you own. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Feb. 22, 2014 @ 8:19 p.m.

Darn it. Now that I think about it, I haven't tried that many things. How do you get invited on to the yacht?

Don Bauder Feb. 23, 2014 @ 7:56 a.m.

shirleyberan: Go to Crow's Nest Yachts and say you are interested in buying November Tango. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK Feb. 24, 2014 @ 7:55 a.m.

does it come with the same phony guarantee as the used cars they sold ?

Don Bauder Feb. 24, 2014 @ 11:31 a.m.

Murphyjunk: Tony stressed the word "honest" in his ads. He was featured with the dealership's dog, named "Honest." Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK Feb. 24, 2014 @ 2:23 p.m.

we made the unfortunate decision to buy a new car from his lot, never again.

Don Bauder Feb. 25, 2014 @ 6:33 a.m.

Murphyjunk: Sorry to hear that. Were you swayed by the dog named "Honest?" Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Feb. 25, 2014 @ 6:16 a.m.

TV spot I must have missed: "Hi, friends, Tony McCune here. (Strokes pet, ummm, dog, errrrr, canine) You know, over the years, you great folks have given me millions of your hard-earned cash for our cheap autos. And, in turn, I used thousands upon thousands of those dollars to purchase high-class ladies of the evening." (Dog turns head upward and gives McCune a quizzical look) "Honest."

Don Bauder Feb. 25, 2014 @ 6:35 a.m.

Duhbya: That ad wouldn't have flown on TV. But it might have been "Honest." Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi Feb. 24, 2014 @ 10:16 a.m.

None

Over 30% off the $2.999 million asking price in 2011.

Don Bauder Feb. 24, 2014 @ 11:32 a.m.

Ponzi: The ad made it sound like the seller was anxious. This suggests that's true. Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi Feb. 24, 2014 @ 6:31 p.m.

They say the two best days in the life of a boat owner are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat. As a sea lover, the best days for me were spent sailing. Perhaps Tony discovered his inner landlubber.

Don Bauder Feb. 25, 2014 @ 6:37 a.m.

Ponzi: Perhaps. Or he might be moving on to a fancier yacht. Best, Don Bauder