Bob McPhail 12:30 p.m., April 26
- William Butler Yeats, Kevin Faulconer, separated only by time and eyesight?
Leaked: Kevin Faulconer's Inauguration Poem
The Informed Voter
- Getting and spending in the widening gap
- The Council cannot hear the Faulconer;
- Infrastructure falls apart; the asphalt cannot hold;
- Mere stadiums are foisted on the world,
- The powder blue tide is loosed, and everywhere
- The great experiment is mocked;
- The best lack all fundraising, while the worst
- Are full of unspecial interests.
- Surely some demographic will rise up;
- Surely the informed voter will rise up.
- The informed voter! Hardly are those words out
- When a vast image out of slumbering cities
- Infests my dreams: a waste of tweets and posts;
- A shape with antenna horns and cable for a tail,
- A face smooth and glassy as the ice,
- Is crawling slowly through the news, while all around it
- Loll shadowed souls who do not dare indignance.
- The Ambien kicks in but now I know
- That seven hours of chemist's sleep
- Are not enough for a march on the polls,
- And what Old Boy, his hour come round at last,
- Saunters toward Balboa Park to be sworn in?