Will superintendent Ed Brand be the last cheese standing on the Sweetwater dais?

Former trustee Arlie Ricasa resigned from the Sweetwater board in December 2013, shortly before pleading guilty to a misdemeanor in relation to corruption charges.

Trustee Pearl Quiñones pleaded guilty to a felony and it is anticipated that she will be removed from the board after her April 28 sentencing.

Trustees Jim Cartmill and Bertha Lopez pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor April 26. Judge Ana España authorized them to continue to serve on the Sweetwater board. But a recent U-T article quotes Sweetwater spokesperson Manny Rubio as saying the district is consulting with legal counsel about the status of Cartmill and Lopez. Another U-T article on April 26 included calls for Cartmill and Lopez to step down.

Trustee John McCann is hoping to vacate the Sweetwater board. He is running for Chula Vista City Council in the June primary.

The County Board of Education is poised to step in; however, they have not scheduled a meeting yet to fill any seats. Lisa Contreras, spokesperson for the county board, said on April 28, “There are no additional vacancies on the [Sweetwater] board at this time [other than Ricasa].”

Contreras said the board has the ability to fill as many positions as necessary when the situation arises. “It is part of commitment of the county trustees when they are elected to serve on other boards in the event of a vacancy.”

But some Sweetwater community members are concerned that superintendent Ed Brand’s contract may be renewed while confusion swirls about who sits on the dais.

Board policy requires that a superintendent be evaluated every year — but Brand has not been evaluated since he was given a two-year contract in September 2012. Brand’s contract ends October 2014.

Maty Adato, parent to a Sweetwater student and longtime critic of Brand’s stewardship of the district, is worried that the superintendent’s contract may roll over automatically.

Adato maintains, “If the board does not exercise its right to nonrenew his contract, it will automatically renew for another year.” She says the cut-off date to exercise that right is June 15.

Adato refers to section 18.2 of the contract, which states: “The superintendent shall notify the Board in writing…a minimum of ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of this Agreement and of the fact that this Agreement will automatically renew for a term of one year under the same terms and conditions, and with the same compensation, unless the Board gives written notice of nonrenewal to the Superintendent in the manner described in paragraph 18.3….”

Section 18.3 reads: “Should the Board determine not to renew this Agreement beyond the 24th day of September 2014, the District shall provide the Superintendent with notification of its interest not to renew the Agreement in writing and delivered not later than forty-five (45) days prior to the termination date of this Agreement….”

Essentially Adato argues, if Brand submits a letter to renew and the board does not act, his contract will automatically renew.

Brand’s conflict-of-interest form shows a man with a well-diversified portfolio.

He has significant investments in real estate property and his Ed Brand & Associates, LLC, an education/property management business, is worth over $1,000,000, according to the form.

Brand has also begun to dabble in another field. His conflict-of-interest form shows he is a 5 percent owner of Alternative Ballistics. The fair market value of this corporation is listed as $100,001–$1,000,000. It is located at 101 Market Street in San Diego.

If Brand continues as superintendent, it appears Burt Grossman is still onboard with him. Grossman, who ran against Bertha Lopez in the 2012 election, gave Brand Charger tickets in October 2013 valued at $196.

Comments

anniej April 28, 2014 @ 4:42 p.m.

Something is very interesting about 'education property management' reported by Ed Brand. I have often wondered why the company 'managing' the L street property is Plan Nine PartnerS - yet only one person can be found as the holder of the deed.

We need Ed Brand GONE! and NOW?

Controversy has followed Brand since he left SUHSD the first time under a Grand Jury investigation. Why John Mc Cann EVER brought him back is beyond comprehension. IF Mr. Mc Cann wants to demonstrate his alleged commitment to our students and the TAXPAYERS of the the South Bay, he will show true leadership by demanding that Brand's evaluation be brought forward and by voting NOT TO EXTEND IT.

Are Brand's corporations, businesses, and associations being investigated?

eastlaker April 29, 2014 @ 8:46 a.m.

anniej, if Brand's "corporations, businesses, and associations" are not being investigated, we need to find out why.

In my entire life, I have never encountered such a situation of entrenched corruption, accompanied by the apparent willing complicity of the surrounding authorities.

What does this tell us? That the authorities are equally as corrupt? That the authorities think we in these neighborhoods deserve to have our tax and bond monies diverted and spent in ways inconsistent with the legal intent and purpose? That the authorities are helpless? That the authorities are blind?

Pick your favorite answer.

This situation must change.

It is intolerable that we must put up with such failures in leadership, such crooks stealing from our children, such examples of pettifoggery (check meanings 2 and 3 in your dictionaries in case you are unclear on the concept), such miserable incompetence.

When Ed Brand's intimidation efforts include calling employers to report on citizens speaking out in a public arena, hiring private investigators to knock on doors of those who speak out, and who really knows what else...why would someone do this?

Because they are hiding something.

Why would someone "postpone" a board meeting when there is a quorum, reschedule when there won't be a quorum, only to cancel the meeting?

Because they are trying to get away with something.

Ed Brand is not handling his duties as superintendent of Sweetwater schools in an honest and upright manner. That is the least of the things I could say.

If the authorities do not step up, I guess we should all know that all the authorities are shams, shills, stumblebums and sorry excuses for what they are supposed to be.

May truth find its way into the open.

May honesty rule the day.

May the rule of the twisted and the cheats end, so that this community and these neighborhoods and these schools and these school children get the opportunities they deserve, instead of having those opportunities stolen from them again and again.

shirleyberan April 28, 2014 @ 4:47 p.m.

Who is a lawyer amongst to force the big reveal?

Ensenadamaria April 28, 2014 @ 5:38 p.m.

Annie McCann has shown no leadership in the past 4 years and doubt if you will see him give birth to any leadership at this late date. He will most likely loose the June primary and then will be run out of Sweetwater in November. If nothing else the corruption case has exposed McCann for the do nothing politician he is. Hard to believe any party would endorse such a failure.

Missionaccomplished April 29, 2014 @ 11:49 a.m.

How a Teebirther Republican like McCan't got elected in a majority working class, largely Latino community I will never know. He supported our disastrous war on Iraq, exploited and embellished his own military stint, and takes a restrictionist view toward immigration.Now we have his dismal performance on the SUHSD Board. Will he be elected mayor? Doubtful. But look at the other choice, the vapid Jerry Ringtone.

anniej April 29, 2014 @ 2:43 p.m.

Missionaccomplished - John McCann is running for City Council, not that he would do well at that endeavor, even as a 2nd time around member.

erupting April 29, 2014 @ 7:23 a.m.

Ensenadamaria, talk about a dilemma. If McCann wins the primary he can't run for Sweetwater,but his wife may. If he loses he can run for Sweetwater. He needs to win the primary and then lose the election. This is totally insane to spend time trying to figure out the best way to get rid of him, but if we don't we will be saddled with Brand. Brand's evaluation still has not be done because Cartmill allows Brand to take it off the agenda. June 15 is the date the board has to respond to Brand or his contract rolls over for another year. God help us if that happens.

oskidoll April 29, 2014 @ 12:14 p.m.

Erupting, it scares the bejeebers out of me to think that Mrs. McCann would even entertain the thought of running for ANYTHING...unless of course they all think they are entitled to anything they might want at the public trough. Instead, let's look closely at the qualifications of those who would run for Trustee positions...important to me is that they have some identifiable and visible means of support OTHER THAN THE STIPEND AND WHATEVER THEY CAN GET AT SAID PUBLIC TROUGH...after all, these positions are supposed to be way less than part-time and while we expect those who hold the positions to perform their duties responsibly, we do not expect that they rake in money substantial enough for familial support. Guess that lets Cartmill (purveyor of snake oil cum vitamins) out of the picture too. He's overstayed his time at the public trough as it is.

anniej April 29, 2014 @ 10:39 a.m.

Picture of a 'certain someone' pulling up FOUNDATION signs? - OH MY!!!!

Now that would be a front pager -

eastlaker April 29, 2014 @ 11:04 a.m.

anniej, you aren't referring to the 'world's oldest entitled teenager', are you?

Missionaccomplished April 29, 2014 @ 11:53 a.m.

It figures Gross man would be a buddy of Brand's. His wife, Liliana "this is a ghetto school" Grossman was a Brand-appointee, a pompous b*_h and golddigger, who blanks on classified employees.

Visduh April 29, 2014 @ 12:36 p.m.

If anyone thought that the resolution of the criminal cases involving Sweetwater settled anything, they now can see that was not true. While it seems certain that Quinones is off the board, these other two knaves with their misdemeanor pleas are still in control. Add in McCann, and you have just about the same mis-governance you had when Pearlie and Arlie were on the board. Some days back, commenter Jmbrickley declared his satisfaction with the outcome of the corruption cases. I wonder if he looks at this scenario and still is satisfied. I'm not. In fact, things could get far worse and spin even farther out of control with McCann and Cartmill voting for everything Eddie proposes, after his contract self-renews.

Some sort of mass appearance at the CBOE meeting and plenty of public comment could perhaps get some attention to this travesty in the making. The point that So County residents need to make is that the corruption of the district is still alive and well, despite these latest two pleas. There is nothing to stop either of those criminals who are still on the board from engaging in more criminal conduct. The fact that they remain trustees of the district when they violated the public trust is just outrageous.

anniej April 29, 2014 @ 2:50 p.m.

Visduh - you speak of Lopez as if she has gone along to get along. NOTHING could be further from the truth. Your comments would be more viable if you would have at least acknowledged her efforts the past 4+ years. You refer to Lopez and. Cartmill voting in line with Ed Brand. Anyone who has attended the last 4 years of Board meetings recognizes that nothing could be further from the truth - Lopez has been the lone vote on soooooo many issues. I consider differing opinions, it gives all pause to stop and think, however, in this case I will respectfully agree to disagree.

Her charges I can not speak to - her efforts on behalf of the students and taxpayers that I have personally witnessed for the last 4+ years I can and do.

• I have attended each and every Board meeting for the past 4+ years and have personally witnessed the votes I speak of.

Visduh April 29, 2014 @ 7:09 p.m.

anniej, you are far more informed than I, but the fact is that she has pled guilty to the same charge as did Cartmill. And you have said that all the bad ones should be off the board, with no excuses for her. She and Cartmill, after those pleas, should be off the board now. If you look closely at my comment, I said that McCann and Cartmill would vote the party line with Eddie. I didn't mention her. But since she and Cartmill have admitted to criminal conduct while school board trustees, both should be off the board. Next question?

oskidoll April 29, 2014 @ 7:27 p.m.

Visduh is correct. We need to have a clean sweep of the existing board, regardless of what we think one might have done to try to right the situation. Perception is all and in this instance, it will mean the difference. Too bad for Lopez, who might have seen the light, but too late to do any good. We need the confidence of the electorate to move forward.

anniej April 29, 2014 @ 7:40 p.m.

Visduh - speaking as the flawed person I am I would like to think that in my 64 years I have learned from my many mistakes. I have taken life lessons and turned them around in an attempt to become a better person. And so, from my perspective, it is the Bertha Lopez that I have personally observed that my comments are based on. The court will decide her ultimate fate, this is fact.

I would hope that when one attempts to remind me of what I have said they would do so correctly. "And you have said that all the bad ones should be off the board, with no excuses for her." I have never called for Lopez to leave, nor have I put her in the same category as the others. I have since day one made reference to the votes, to the questionable decisions, to the manipulation by 'the gandara' and Ed Brand of Ricasa, McCann, Cartmill and Quinones - Lopez the lone exception. Lopez would not be bullied into following 'the Gandara' or Ed Brand line.

However, these are anniej's opinions not 'the questions you tartly referenced'. Based on my personal observations month after month, year after year, one flawed fiduciary decision after another. My fanny sat in that seat and watched them all.

At the end of the day, hopefully, South Bay politics are better for all of this - I say hopefully but time will tell if any life lessons have been learned. It is indeed a shame that with all of the topics worth discussing so much time has been spent having to fight for a quality education for our deserving youth.

Visduh April 29, 2014 @ 8:06 p.m.

anniej, I am not going to go back through your comments in recent weeks in regard to Lopez. Maybe you are correct, and that I attributed sentiments to you that originated with eastlaker or oskidoll or someone else. But if the So County is going to make a clean break with this corruption, nobody who has been tainted should ever hold office again. Lopez and "Carty" need to be off the board yesterday, and her teaching career should be examined. He is a fraud as a clergyman and businessman. He sells snake oil, and preaches who-knows-what. If anyone needs to be held to a high standard it is he. But as a teacher does she get off any easier?

Visduh April 29, 2014 @ 8:41 p.m.

Oh, anniej, I'm older than you are. Does that make me wiser, or just older? Can't say.

anniej April 29, 2014 @ 7:47 p.m.

oskidoll - "but too late to do any good". It was in 2009 when 'the antagonists' contacted Ms. Lopez with their concerns. Since that time, Lopez's votes have, in my opinion, made a real difference. I offer Board Docs tapings of each and every vote as supporting documentation.

eastlaker April 29, 2014 @ 9:10 p.m.

Just to add my two cents, at all the board meetings I have attended (and I have attended far fewer than anniej), Bertha Lopez spoke out and questioned Brand and the grand triumvirate (Cartmill, Ricasa and McCann) who voted Brand's party line every time.

By way of "reward" Brand and the rest of them would treat Ms. Lopez with actual, palpable disrespect. It was revolting to see how they would try to wear her down and humiliate her publicly. Pure Brand bullying, all the way.

McCann in particular seemed to really enjoy trying to smear her character and put a negative slant on whatever Ms. Lopez would try to do.

I would say that was a classic example of a weaker person trying to bolster his position by trying to push around the person who was thought to be the weakest in the group. I would also say that McCann was wrong on all counts.

If the law says Ms. Lopez needs to leave the board, then she should leave the board--but I believe she should be credited for calling out the corruption when no one else would. That should earn her something. It has earned her my thanks, because without that, who knows what would be happening with this district now.

Life isn't fair, but I think it is time that Bertha Lopez gets some respect.

Does everyone realize that Brand went out of his way to deprive her of the materials he supplied everyone else with? He did his best to keep her out of the loop and make life very difficult for her. Just another array of ugly moments brought to all of us by Ed Brand, the man who seems never to have met a situation he didn't want to exploit in one way or another.

bbq April 30, 2014 @ 6:10 a.m.

So much stuff.... First Thanks to anniej and Bertha for their diligence to date, however in this case where one shoe fits all, Justice. Bertha got caught up in the net with the preps, as my mother always said "Be careful who you hang out with...", Guilt by association.

Thinking about the current situation what would the best thing for the district be for the rest of 2014? Assuming that the last two indictees, Jim and Bertha are not required to resign, is it better to have the three running the place and continue to stumble allong with the Brandanian-Two- Step, or have Bertha resign, the county BoE come in and Bertha run for her position in the fall? Base the resignation on it is the best thing for the district at this time, spin it, "what isbest of the community."

Allong with guilt by association, we need to look into the future with open eyes, not perception of the current situation, I was asked to be on a committee by the Gandara, am I suspect?

As for the timing of the contract renewal for Ed, it is my understanding that Ed needs to inform the board of his desire to stay 90 days (?) ahead of the termination date(Sept 24) and the Board has to confirm or deny their intentions within 45 days (Aug 8) of the end of the contract Sept 24, only with Ed saying he wants to stay and the Board doing nothing does the contract automatically renew. Might need a lawyer look into it, but it was a two step process with both parties needing to act.

Again the fall is coming, note double intrada (SP), the demise of the current Junta and the elections...

Best to all, BBQ, CAVE

eastlaker April 30, 2014 @ 9:22 p.m.

Came across an interview with Mike Rowe (of "Dirty Jobs" fame) on CNN. He has a few things to say about education. I hope the link will work. He says there is a "skills gap".

The problem is...how can schools be all things to all people? I don't know, but they need to try--not that people haven't been trying.

anniej April 30, 2014 @ 7:19 a.m.

Visduh: after reading your many posts these past years, not just on SUHSD - I am of the opinion you are wiser - just not when it comes to Lopez, (smile)

eastlaker : your words ring true. While I pay tribute to Ms. Lopez's efforts these past years, you are correct the judicial system has the final say and, after all, we are all governed by the law of the land.

Visduh April 30, 2014 @ 9:27 a.m.

anniej, you and many others such as eastlaker, BBQ, erupting, and a many more, have been attending those SUHSD board meetings and seeing exactly what transpired. I've never attended a single meeting there. So, you and others in the So County trenches have been carrying on what was, for long, a lonely battle. That counts for everything. Had it not been for Susan and the Reader, little or nothing would have happened to even start to bring it to an end. Where was the UT Watchdog when all this was afoot? Nowhere to be seen. The CV Star News? AWOL The DA? Out of touch and out of the area for many years. The FBI? Who knows? But there still may be some action from that quarter.

So, if those of you far closer to the action than I want to give Bertha a break, so be it. I'm a late arriving observer, opinionated as hell, and what do I really know? I know far less than you do. I defer to your more complete understanding. (And I'm not being sarcastic. That's sincere.)

anniej April 30, 2014 @ 2:39 p.m.

Visduh - no Visduh, you know far more than I do on so many issues. Your comments have offered much fuel for thought - many points, counterpoints. I value others opinions for they offer me the opportunity to step outside what I believe to know is true and see others perspectives. I refer to it as growing.

Regarding giving Lopez a break, I see it more as giving recognition for her efforts these past several years. You know in truth, IF the other Board members, way back when, would have seen the error of their ways and then begun acting on behalf of the students and taxpayers I would be speaking up for them as well - 'when you know better you do better'. At this point it is up to the Courts.

Your tribute to The READER and Ms. Luzzaro - truer words have never been spoken. These two entities epitomize the true meaning of 'news'.

On a lighter note, this forum has offered me the opportunity to 'meet' individuals such as Visduh, individuals who I view as part of the neighborhood, even though many miles may separate our zip codes.

oskidoll April 30, 2014 @ 3:12 p.m.

It is an unfortunate reality that in spite of Bertha Lopez's considerable efforts to distance herself from the other rotters on the dais, and in spite of the rotten treatment she has received at the hands of Ed Brand and his toadies, that she is also amongst those indicted and sentenced. It is her political reality that she will forever bear that stigma, and as perception is everything in politics, I doubt she (or anyone in such circumstances) will be able to overcome it.

This is my opinion and I may very well be incorrect, but I believe that any potential opponent of hers in future elections (should she be allowed to stand for reelection when her term is up) will have a gold mine of ammunition to use against her due to the indictments and pleadings. How to differentiate her from the others? That is not easy in dealing with perceptions of public corruption on such a grand scale. I wish her well, but truly believe her public service will be ended with this fiasco.

Visduh April 30, 2014 @ 5:28 p.m.

Nobody has yet mentioned that Pearlie was sentenced on Monday. According to Greg Moran, writing in the Mill, she is getting "confinement", probation, and a fine of almost $8000. According the the judge, she was guilty of more serious things than most of the others. No duh! But the "confinement" is at home for 90 days. Yeah, demeaning and a a pain, but not like going to the slammer. I'd be far more satisfied if the judge gave her a week in Las Colinas. I don't remember any of these crooks being arrested and booked into jail. They just got letters informing them of the indictments, and they reported to court with attorneys in tow and were arraigned. Oh, and Pearlie sayeth outside the courtroom that she was "disappointed" in the sentence. She probably figured on a sentence to 30 days of community service, probation and a fine. A smaller fine.

Could it be that the learned judge has been reading these comments, and those in other media, and now realizes that a few folks are actually paying to attention to her handling of the cases, and the weak-kneed pleas and non-sentences she's been handing down? Oh, no that would never happen ;) Gandara is up next. He doesn't live in this state, so how would she insure that he served his home confinement? Ans: she can't. So what's she gonna do? We shall see. If she comes down hard on him, and she should, then we can feel sure that community comments have had an effect.

Finally, I keep wondering how McCann escaped indictment, when Lopez was charged. His records and home computers were seized under warrant and examined. I'll just bet that Bahnee decided that indicting a war veteran, and one who made much of his service during the war on terror, was bad politics. A veteran myself, I generally don't criticize a fellow vet, but you can only use your service to justify about so much. After that you wear it out. McCann cannot keep trading on it; I know from personal experience how little many people care.

oskidoll April 30, 2014 @ 5:38 p.m.

McCann is a Republican....Bonnie D is a Republican. That's my take on it. Also, I don't think he was part and parcel of the 'diner's club' activities, which led to so many 'opps -- forgot to declare it' on the form 700'..... Wish I knew how he slithered away too, because he is just as rotten as the others, and perhaps more hypocritical, if that is possible.

anniej April 30, 2014 @ 7:12 p.m.

Visduh - oskidoll - Mc Cann truly disappointed so many voters who supported him back in 2010. He was going to clean up the District, return its once good name. A question that remains unanswered by him. 'Why did you Mr. Mc Cann fail to advise the Board of the second opinion that 'the Gandara' could be fired for cause?' Instead gandara was let go that evening at Southwest, however his termination was not effective immediately - WHY???? Because of the termination date reported to the State gandara has been able to collect retirement (as reported by TRANSPARENT CALIFORNIA). Supposedly that will stop.

One thing for sure, based on the total dysfunction under both gandara and Ed Brand and the major distraction of felony indictments of the majority of the Board, the only place for SUHSD to go is up - but, again I say, Ed Brand has got to go!

Visduh May 1, 2014 @ 7:48 a.m.

Things are getting VERRRY interesting. According to a story on the front page of the Mill today, Yolanda Hernandez, one of the convicted ones, abruptly resigned her seat on the San Ysidro board. Some attorneys were claiming that state law prohibits anyone convicted of a crime (misdemeanors included) from continuing to hold a seat. Her mouthpiece lawyer says she resigned to so what was "best for the district and best for herself." Yeah, right. By the way, this was an effort of the UT Watchdog staff.

Then the piece talks to some attorneys who claim some knowledge of such things, including Dan "Shineon", and they all agree that this section 1770 is very clear. The indications are that this judge, Espana, knew nothing about the section, and that the DA didn't bring it to her attention. (Great work, Bahnee.) If so, that means that the judge's ruling that Carty and Bertha could stay on the board was not legal, and that she lacked the discretion to make such a ruling. If that's true, the DA should immediately file a motion with the court for reconsideration. If the judge persists, well, that's what appeals courts are for.

This judge can really pat herself on the back when this all over. Botched justice delayed months and months.

eastlaker May 1, 2014 @ 10:42 a.m.

My question then becomes, does the judge's lack of knowledge then negate all the rulings? Could all these people file appeals now? Could Sweetwater be paying court costs forever on this?

Followed by, how could a judge be so ignorant, when all the legal questions can be answered via state of the art computerized access? As I understand it, it is really only a rather simple computer search.

Next question: was sending all these cases down to the South County Court done by someone with the express purpose of pointing out how incompetent Judge Espana is?

Visduh May 1, 2014 @ 10:56 a.m.

There might be grounds for appeal, but if any of them appealed, it could result in them being sent back for re-sentencing of a more severe type. That would be most foolish.

As to competence, she took many months to study the cases and the voluminous evidence, and came away with the attitude that these people had done nothing more than make technical reporting violations. And she let them, for the most part, plead that way. The exceptions were Pearlie and Jesus. So, she doesn't think they did anything that was really criminal and intentional, and they all don't think it was anything wrong or to be ashamed of. Ain't it grand?

oskidoll May 1, 2014 @ 10:55 a.m.

To answer your last question first, Eastlaker, I truly believe the presiding judge of the San Diego Superior Court, one Judge Danileson, just wanted to get rid of the work involved in managing all the trials with multiple counts during a time when the courts budget had been severely cut by state budget difficulties -- compounded by an arrogance about 'those people' in south county should have to deal with their own perps. (Remember that the DA's office did protest the move to South County Court, likely for their own convenience.) Judge Espana has shown herself not up to the job, many times over. She was taken in by the sob stories of the perps, and never once articulated that the victims in all the matters are the school children of South County. She is at best naïve, and at worst not very bright. Whatever her affliction, it meant that we, the people, lost big time in her court. By the way, a relative of mine was once in a jury pool in her court, and tells me that she was disorganized and habitually late to the dais, showing no respect for those in the prospective jury pool who had arrived timely for their civic duty. Sigh!

Visduh May 1, 2014 @ 11:26 a.m.

"She is at best naïve, and at worst not very bright." I'm not sure I agree. She herself may be corrupt.

shirleyberan May 1, 2014 @ 12:01 p.m.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, especially since they all seem to have the same syndrome. Where's a friggin honest lawyer or investigator besides Susan? Is she supposed to do this alone?

jibaro May 2, 2014 @ 9:38 a.m.

Visduh

The humble opinion of some is that Judge Danielson knew exactly what he was doing by moving this case to South Bay and assigning it to Judge Espana.

Visduh May 3, 2014 @ 6:01 p.m.

Scary, but not surprising, given the way some local judges do their "judging."

eastlaker May 2, 2014 @ 9:49 a.m.

Any news on Mr. Cartmill and Ms. Lopez? Shouldn't the same section 1770 apply to them?

oskidoll May 2, 2014 @ 10:22 a.m.

Visduh....we should also be on the lookout when Judge David Danielsen himself stands for reelection and 'reward' him appropriately at the ballot box for his role in this distressing judicial fiasco.

angrybirds May 2, 2014 @ 10:59 a.m.

I was at this forum the other night with all the council candidates and old Johnny McCann was there showing his true colors. He lied through the entire thing about his time with SUHSD. Since I have sat in the back at many of those long boring board meetings I know for a fact that he lied when he said he ran against and "won his board seat from now convicted felon Sandoval". Well Johnny boy my compadre sandoval is not convicted yet and second your a lair you did not run against him, your seat was an open seat. Tisk Tisk liar liar pants on fire. You also said how you got rid of my other compadre Gandara and man o man did you get rid of him. You gave him $500 k and his pension on a silver platter because YOU could not get rid of him for his misdeeds. Now my compadre Gandara is facing over 30 felony counts you think maybe you could have fired him and saved major buckos. So Mr. Johnny boy you are a joke and a laughing stock go away already and take Brand with you.

eastlaker May 2, 2014 @ 8:23 p.m.

Wow! McCann must stay awake nights trying to figure out ways to spin his poor record as a Sweetwater trustee--and this is what he comes up with?

People are better informed than he seems to think.

Is it laughable or sad that his sense of reality is so far off? Instead of trying to find a new dais to sit at, McCann should try and do SOMETHING right as a Sweetwater trustee--and call for that performance appraisal for Brand. Or is it already too late?

McCann--really.

SpecialEd May 2, 2014 @ 8:45 p.m.

It's ALL about the Benjamins. You should be thankful you have such an experienced educational leader who is willing to leave his comfy affluent area to slum around down here in this rat trap endless hallway of an "office" and try and get this school district some swag. It's a long drive down here, and you don't show any gratitude. Add to that the daily complaints we get about some of these principals who were hired by Jesus and if anyone tries to demote them we got a lawsuit on our hands. This is not a fun place to be, folks.