A man declared guilty of multiple counts of child abuse is reportedly on the run, according to court records.

Joseph Vincent McCarron, 58, was declared guilty last week of abusing two little girls, both under the age of 14.

A prosecutor alleged that McCarron was living in the community of Rainbow, in North San Diego County, and was dating the girls’ mother at the time of the criminal acts.

McCarron was charged with multiple sex acts with both children between the years 1998 and 2005. McCarron was first charged in 2009; he bailed out after four days in custody. He has been at liberty on $500,000 bond since October 2, 2009. Records show he paid a $50,000 “premium” to Vista Bail Bonds, which posted the bond.

When the jury announced last week that they had come to unanimous verdicts of guilty on 11 felony counts, McCarron did not return to the courtroom to hear the verdicts, it is revealed in court minutes.

San Diego Superior Court judge K. Michael Kirkman accepted the jury’s verdicts and then issued a no-bail warrant for McCarron and declared his $500,000 bond forfeited.

Joseph Vincent McCarron

Joseph Vincent McCarron

Information in the court file declares that a notice of bond forfeiture was sent to Angela McCarron in Pompton Plains, New Jersey, on November 15, 2013. A person with Vista Bail Bonds confirmed that the named person guaranteed the bond with her home.

McCarron first went on trial for the criminal acts in October of 2012, but that jury could not come to unanimous verdicts and a mistrial was declared.

Prosecutor Marnie Layon pursued the case, presenting evidence for a new trial. The new jury began hearing the case on October 28 and went into deliberations on November 12. Their verdicts were announced on November 14 without the defendant being present; however, privately retained defense attorney Herb Weston was present without his client.

Comments

Eva Knott Nov. 21, 2013 @ 5:29 p.m.

Late update: From prosecutor Marnie Layon: "The defendant was convicted of all counts and allegations, and thus faces 165 years to life if the court chooses to run all 11 counts consecutively. I will not speculate as to why Mr. McCarron willfully failed to be present for the reading of his verdict."

Also today, the San Diego County Sheriff released a fugitive bulletin today declaring Joseph McCarron to be "armed and dangerous;" he should not be approached, anyone who sees McCarron is advised to dial 911.

The fugitive is described as 5 feet 7 inches tall, 160 pounds, hair is reddish-brown and thinning, eyes are brown-hazel. He could be driving a 1993 green Honda Accord, California plates 3ELK383.

Visduh Nov. 22, 2013 @ 7:41 p.m.

Prosecutorial discretion demands that Ms. Layon not speculate. The rest of us need not be so reticent. Once he's in custody, he'll die in the slammer. So why not flee? Anything to lose? Nothing at all. The mystery here centers around the identity of Angela McCarron, and why she would have put up her home as a guarantee for his bail. We can assume that his flight, and her forfeiture of her home, are not good news for her (whoever she is.) Then there is Herb Weston, defense attorney; may we assume that he got paid for his futile attempt at keeping McCarron out of prison? Or did Herb get stiffed in the same manner as Angela? Questions, questions.

When the cops catch up with Joe (they will), he'll have two choices. Go "peacefully" with the cops to his eternal incarceration, or try to escape. Which will it be? Or maybe he'll try a shootout with them. (The cops always win.)

That is has taken years for this case to be concluded proves the adage that "Justice delayed is justice denied". Hey Herb, proud of yourself?

AngryMother Nov. 23, 2013 @ 12:02 a.m.

As mother of this mans victims, I would first like to express my OUTRAGE that the Sheriffs Dept. waited an entire week before releasing this story. A convicted bail jumping "armed and dangerous" pedophile is out there and they sat on it for a week. We all see much less serious stories reported on a daily basis, as soon as possible after they occur. Funny how this didn't get the immediate coverage that was obviously called for. But that is how things have been handled with this nightmare from the beginning. Money really talks. That's why this disgusting perverted predator has been out there a free man, undoubtedly abusing more women and children all the while. In Visdahs comment, the identity of Angela McCarron was raised. She is his mother. If only she had not had an inordinate amount of both cash and cockiness, this never would have gone on this long. I would also like to express my opinion of the inappropriateness of Prosecutor Layons' photo to be included with the update on this story. It is not about her. She really has nothing to be posing proudly for. Believe me - I know. I have suffered through watching her drag this case on and on for over 4 years. With the overwhelming amount of evidence on this man - including A CONFESSION, I really do believe that an astute graduate fresh out of law school could have won this case - THE FIRST TIME AROUND. Lets all pray that this long overdue news release was not in vain. This man should have been locked up years ago.

Eva Knott Nov. 23, 2013 @ 5:55 a.m.

Deputy District Attorney Marnie Layon is a hard working attorney and a wife and the mother of her own little girls. She has dedicated herself to prosecuting these awful child abuse cases, which are hard on everybody. Marnie Layon re-tried this case, even after the first mistrial, which is discouraging of course. Even though you believe there was a confession, when there is a sharp criminal defense attorney like Herb Weston working for the accused, anything can happen. Give the prosecutor her due.

AngryMother Nov. 23, 2013 @ 6:42 a.m.

Eva - you are quite obviously friends with Prosecutor Layon, which would explain why your story was the only one out there with a picture of her! No matter how great a mother she is or how great Mr. Weston is at manipulating the system, I still stand by my belief that she did NOT handle this case appropriately. You have no idea. I'm so sorry to see that your otherwise well written story has been tainted by your bias.

Eva Knott Nov. 23, 2013 @ 7:01 a.m.

For my work I need to maintain polite relationships with attorneys and judges and bailiffs and families of victims and law enforcement personnel, you can understand. I consider myself a friend of the truth, and anyone who wants the truth to be known should not take offense at my work.

AngryMother Nov. 23, 2013 @ 6:50 a.m.

One more little detail - I don't "believe" there was a confession. I can send you a copy of a transcript in which he admits to having sex with my teenage daughter.

Eva Knott Nov. 23, 2013 @ 6:57 a.m.

Thank you for your kind offer. Yes, please send copies of your transcripts to Eva Knott, care of The San Diego READER, PO BOX 85803, San Diego CA 92186-5803. Please find some peace and comfort in prayer, and your daughter too.

Visduh Nov. 23, 2013 @ 9:43 a.m.

Angry, you have every right to be angry at the system. But please cut Eva some slack. I don't know her (in fact, I don't know that the name isn't a pseudonym for a man), but I know that she covers some of the nastiest criminal trials and cases in the county. She really has to go into the sewers of society. It is depressing enough to read her reports; she has to write them, and what's worse, sitting through trials and reading court reports and law enforcement reports.

Be aware that this story of his skipping out is now on the radio and is widely reported. While it may have been late in coming out, it is getting attention. If he's still in the US, he will be found. There may be much more news soon.

AngryMother Nov. 23, 2013 @ 11:37 p.m.

I would like to clear the air regarding my comments. None were intended as a personal affront towards Eva. I was simply pointing out the quite obvious fact that this story was not an appropriate place for a photo op of the prosecutor. We only needed to see the fugitive pedophiles' face. I had in fact left a message on The Readers' letters to the editor voicemail yesterday afternoon expressing my confusion over the issue. After never receiving a return call from anyone, I felt the need to put my views in writing.

Eva Knott Dec. 3, 2013 @ 4:42 p.m.

Joseph McCarron's body was found last Sunday, November 30, according to a press release issued late today, December 3, 2013.

The Sheriff’s Fugitive Task Force began searching for the convicted abuser on November 14, a spokesperson for the San Diego County DA’s office stated.

“The defendant’s body was found in the wooded area behind a park in Carlsbad and was recovered by the Carlsbad Police Department. The San Diego county Medical Examiner positively identified the body as that of the defendant,” according to the press release. “The Medical Examiner has not released the official cause of death.”

Visduh Dec. 4, 2013 @ 8:11 a.m.

To assume he took his own life is probably a safe guess. Better, he thought, than spending the rest of his life in prison, especially since the prison inmates are VERY hard on child molesters. This resolution took a few days longer than I'd have predicted, but it isn't clear just how long the body was there.