A new publication, the Seaside Courier and its companion website SeasideCourier.com, will attempt to cover Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad, and Oceanside, a market once covered by the North County Times.

The U-T has put less emphasis on this market after buying the North County Times.

SeasideCourier.com launched on Wednesday (Nov. 6) and the first edition of the newspaper will come out December 6. The publisher is Mission Publishing Group, which puts out the Mission Times Courier, Mission Valley News, and La Mesa Courier.

The Seaside Courier will have a circulation of 33,000 and be mailed to 27,000 homes and businesses in Encinitas and Carlsbad. Another 6000 copies willl be distributed from Del Mar to Oceanside at high-traffic locations, according to a news release.

Comments

Visduh Nov. 8, 2013 @ 8:49 a.m.

It is not as though the No County lacks free-distribution papers now. A fairly fat product called The Coast News is distributed through news racks and other spots around the area. It attempts to report news, but most of the stories are days old by the time it is distributed. Then we have one called simply The Paper. An odd publication, its front page story is always a feature of local history. Very little news, and the reasons for its being sent out appear political. For many years there was a weekly that attempted to step in and fill the void left when the Vista Press folded. I saw it so infrequently that I cannot recall its name for sure, but I think it was the Vista Journal. It took a few popular columnists from the Vista Press and continued to provide a forum for them. It was thrown, not mailed, to many Vista neighborhoods, but not mine. I haven't noticed it in quite a while, and suspect that it is gone. There are other such publications scattered all around the region, and most be more-or-less viable, but I doubt they are big money makers for anyone.

Don Bauder Nov. 8, 2013 @ 9:10 a.m.

Visduh: The publisher of the publications is Jim Madaffer, former San Diego city councilmember. The first thing to pop into my mind is that he is trying to get these papers established with the idea of selling them to Papa Doug Manchester. But I think that is a longshot.

We'll have to see if the Courier publication and companion website have any quality. Madaffer claims the publication will feature talented writers. The paper begins as a monthly with the hope of expanding frequency.

Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Nov. 8, 2013 @ 10:10 a.m.

Monthly??? That's all? Sheesh. It is hard to imagine how any sort of following can be developed with a monthly newspaper.

Don Bauder Nov. 8, 2013 @ 11:46 a.m.

Visduh: I agree that it will be difficult getting any traction if the print edition comes out monthly. It shows a lack of confidence in selling advertising. Best, Don Bauder

Bob_Hudson Nov. 8, 2013 @ 9:36 a.m.

It looks like they will compete with the Coast News and not try to serve the Highway 78 corridor from Oceanside to Escondido, which is THE North County, quite different than the "mid county" Del Mar and Encinitas area. Maybe they will at least not be condescending to Oceanside, as is often the case with the Coast News, whose Oceanside correspondent is apparently bummed that he has to live and/or do business there.

The Paper is published by Lyle Davis, who managed Escondido's radio station back in the 1970's (before suburban community radio stations went the way of suburban community newspapers). The Paper's coverage has always been heavy on history and it has always been a mystery as to how they stay in business.

Don Bauder Nov. 8, 2013 @ 11:56 a.m.

Visduh and Bob_Hudson: If it gets sufficient advertising, it can survive. The mystery seems to be why advertisers still buy space -- if they do. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 8, 2013 @ 11:52 a.m.

Bob_Hudson: It appears that Seaside will concentrate on the affluent areas such as Encinitas, Del Mar, and Carlsbad. Rancho Santa Fe and La Jolla, which are already well covered, appear to be outside of Seaside's planned coverage area. Best, Don Bauder

Brian_T_Peterson_DVM Nov. 8, 2013 @ 11:11 a.m.

Wow. How can one expect a publication owned by Jim Madaffer to be better than one owned by Doug Manchester? When he was City Councilman, besides voting to underfund the pension and pushing special pension deals for union chiefs and using state park funds to fund road studies and inappropriately spending CDBG funds and creating redevelopment areas that should not be and transferring those TI funds to downtown and etc…he was using the Mission Times Courier as his personal tool for promoting himself and his agenda. One reelection he had his mom or mother-in-law, I don’t remember which, write a Mission Times Courier editorial promoting Jim. He also uses these papers to promote other political endeavors, like Prop 99 over 98. This was 2008, when Prop 98 would have eliminated eminent domain for private benefit, and the League of Cities and Madaffer brought forth Prop 99, a sham initiative that prevented eminent domain for private benefit only in very limited situations, like situations where eminent domain wouldn’t happen anyway.

I will admit that the mother-in-law story was relayed to me, because I typically do not look at the Mission Times Courier. When I do, however, like if someone e-mails a link, I am usually bombarded with a flashing array of banner ads. My suggestion: if you should look at the Seaside Courier internet edition, shield your eyes from the blinding/dazzling effects of the banner ads, especially if you have a low seizure threshold.

Don Bauder Nov. 8, 2013 @ 12:02 p.m.

Brian: I agree 100% that Prop. 99 was a sham and Prop. 98 would have been beneficial to the public. Of course, how interested was Jim Madaffer in the public? He was a servant to a special market, just like Faulconer and Fletcher will be if either -- God help San Diego -- gets elected. Best, Don Bauder

Fred Williams Nov. 8, 2013 @ 9 p.m.

Madaffer is bad news.

I remember sitting with him back in 1993 and listening to him brag about getting money from the city for his newspaper. He put it in his wife's name, then used her status as a "minority" to get a grant from the taxpayers. He said it was $50,000.

This isn't hearsay. I was there...flabbergasted. So was Pat Arter (later ran for College Board) and Bob Trettin (later ran for Assembly).

From that day onward I knew his character was deeply flawed, and when I was later offered an internship at the city working under him, I refused it.

Don Bauder Nov. 9, 2013 @ 2:05 p.m.

Fred Williams: If that is true -- and I don't doubt your word -- it is utterly disgusting, but not surprising. Best, Don Bauder

Fred Williams Nov. 8, 2013 @ 9:02 p.m.

Don Bauder Nov. 9, 2013 @ 2:07 p.m.

Fred Williams: Ouch. That is a cruel one. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark Nov. 9, 2013 @ 2:23 p.m.

I would rather just not vote for the guy.

Don Bauder Nov. 9, 2013 @ 7:14 p.m.

aardvark: Good idea. A vote for him is a vote for the downtown corporate welfare crowd. Best, Don Bauder

NewsObserver Nov. 10, 2013 @ 3:13 p.m.

I question the wisdom of this move. Why would a La Mesa/Mission Valley newspaper want to skip 30 miles and publish in Encinitas of all places? And it's already saturated with the Coast News and North Coast Current, which are the two remaining independent publications based in that city, run by people who live in that area.

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2013 @ 7:55 a.m.

NewsObserver: The move is certainly open to question. Any establishment of new newspapers in this environment has to be challenged. I keep wondering if Madaffer wants to run the papers for a year or two and then sell to Papa Doug -- if the latter is still in the media business then. Best, Don Bauder