Jeff Smith noon, March 8
- What’s left in sporting news? There’s All-American linebacker Manti T’eo and his fake girlfriend...
In other news...
- Don’t talk about your women.
- Don’t ever complain about a hangover. You were the one who got drunk. Go to work, grind it out, keep your mouth shut.
- Work friends are work friends, not friend friends.
- Show up on time. This, by the way, is more important than doing a good job.
- Don’t use three syllable words.
- Don’t put college and I in the same sentence.
- Every job has an end.
- Don’t be afraid of your job. If you get laid-off you get laid-off.
- Sooner or later everybody gets laid-off.
- Always be aware of what’s around you. People are going to get hurt on construction jobs, some badly. If it’s a freak event, you’re screwed, bad joss. But, if it’s not, if it’s something you could have seen coming, getting hurt is stupid.
- Know when a job is too dangerous and step back. Health and safety enforcement differ from job to job. I worked a job where men had to jump from a seagoing barge onto the deck of a pilot boat in order to go to work. Repeat in reverse at end of shift. This was in high seas on the Arctic Ocean. The sea temperature is 29 degrees, which means if you fall into the water you’ll lose dexterity in less than 2 minutes and be unconscious in less than 15. At the top of every swell the pilot boat SLAMS into the barge. A leg or arm or body caught in between is crushed. Sixty-year-old, pot-bellied, alcoholic crane operators and sleep-deprived diesel mechanics slip-slide on an icy deck and bounce from barge to boat. A construction company might ask you to do any damn thing; it’s up to you to say no.
- You’re on your own. The fairness and justice line forms in the rear of the unemployment office.
- Re: payday. Always make sure your check is right. First thing.
- Relationships change constantly. Because most jobs run 8 to 16 weeks, normal political dynamics are compressed. A situation that can take months to bloom in a sunny San Diego office takes days on a job site. Back-stabbing, temporary alliances, betrayals, promotions, demotions, side deals, old boss out, new boss in, occur as they do in the rest of the world, but on an amphetamine time schedule. Don’t try to keep up.