A sidewalk makeover at the corner of College Boulevard and Alvarado Road near SDSU is making the congested area more user-friendly for the disabled and those in wheelchairs.

Work crews were busy on the morning of February 4, breaking up the old curbing and reinstalling a ramp for wheelchairs so that students parking in the campus overflow lots along Alvarado Road have safe access to cross busy College Boulevard and get to the campus.

Closest to the roadway, integrated into the concrete, are the yellow panels with inch-in-diameter raised domes; those are to assist the visually impaired as well as help slow the roll of wheelchairs.

Comments

Radical Uterus Feb. 8, 2013 @ 12:57 a.m.

This is a good thing. In our automobile centered society I often see those in automobiles as completely isolated from the reality of those like myself who use the sidewalks for all of my travel. Every day is a day I may be hit again by a driver not paying attention. Cars sold as luxurious are like a universe unto themselves. If I were hit again I doubt that the driver would even feel my body roll under the wheels.

viewer Feb. 8, 2013 @ 9:38 a.m.

As for me & others who ride a bike: the common trouble in the entire trouble of San Diego County be of wheelchailers, using the bikelane. The wheelchailers misuse the TAX-PAID sidewalk, in the same way as the wheelchailers misuse the sympathy they want from the public. As many wheelchailers are NOT completely "disabled." I have literally seen ones pull themselves out their "wheelchailer", without any assistance. And even pushing it, as the person has no assistant along. FAKES; WELFARE-COLLECTORS.

Radical Uterus Feb. 9, 2013 @ 1:38 a.m.

Let's hope you are never mowed down by a car and have to face a long recovery.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 9, 2013 @ 7:20 a.m.

Viewer, are you seriously trying to say the majority of people who use wheel chairs are doing it fraudulently?????? Please.

GrokSurf Feb. 16, 2013 @ 4:48 p.m.

College Avenue intersects with Alvarado Road. Where is this Boulevard of which you speak?

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 16, 2013 @ 6:40 p.m.

I used to live right there, at the SDSU Villa Alvarado apartment dorms, I was with the first set of students that moved in.