A man was put in handcuffs after jumping out of a second-story window in Encinitas Ranch on February 1. Many neighbors came out of their homes to watch as several police and sheriff’s deputies pulled into their community on a sunny Friday afternoon.

The shirtless man, who looked to be in his 20s, seemed to be distressed and crying. The window he jumped from was in a halfway house, according to the man’s substance-abuse counselor, who showed up across the street to talk to the officers. She told authorities that the man had called her and said he was drunk. She yelled the man’s name and told him everything would be okay.

A couple of neighbors told me that they knew there was a halfway house on Cypress Hills Drive, where the incident took place. Other neighbors said they had no idea this kind of establishment was right next to their homes and expressed concern about it in relation to recent crimes in the area.

A resident told me there have been five or six robberies in the past two weeks. Another resident told me their home was broken into a few days before Christmas, and they had $50,000 worth of property stolen.

When I called N.N. Jaeschke, Inc., the property-management company for the neighborhood, a representative said there would be a homeowners’ association meeting regarding this issue on February 11.

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 5, 2013 @ 4:14 p.m.

I would blow that house to kingdom come.

Javajoe25 Feb. 7, 2013 @ 4:30 p.m.

Blowing the house to kingdom comes sounds a little extreme. I'm thinking the only thing worse than having a halfway house in the neighborhood is having a mad bomber. Care to elaborate, Surfpup?

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 7, 2013 @ 7:24 p.m.

I was the victim of a burglary where the only things of value I owned or cared about were stolen- which is what happened to the person I quoted in bold-I could totally relate to that specific comment. They were irreplaceable heirlooms. I do not object to a halfway house, only to any possible criminals using it as a base of operations. Of course my comment was over the top and not meant to be serious, just to express my intense frustration with BURGLARS.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 7, 2013 @ 7:14 p.m.

I have a halfway house for women a few miles from me too, never, ever had any problems, I always donate goods to them, like new shoes and anything else to help the transition. I gave them a brand new $125 pair of Nike Air Max 95 a few months back, hope they got good use.

Radical Uterus Feb. 8, 2013 @ 1:08 a.m.

This is the why people with substance abuse issues and mental health issues are the repeated victims of stigma. A young man in severe distress jumps out of a window and automatically he's a criminal. I have lived in these types of homes, while I was concerned about acquiring an HIV infection or hepatitis infection from sharing utensils (I took precautions) my fellow housemates were all suffering and consistently medicated. We were not criminals. We were human beings with dreams, aspirations, education and illness.

Javajoe25 Feb. 8, 2013 @ 8:19 p.m.

I could be wrong but I don't think people at halfway houses are out pulling burglaries. Usually, people at halfway houses can get whatever they want whenever they want it; the challenge for them is not to. Hopefully, the counseling they are getting in there helps them make the right decision.

I think the burglaries are just part of what is happening everywhere. The economy is tanking and people are getting desperate. I've had my apartment robbed. It totally sucks. You want to just smack somebody...but you don't know who? All you can do is double-check your locks and look for vulnerable spots and brace them up.

Radical Uterus Feb. 8, 2013 @ 9:05 p.m.

"Usually, people in halfway houses can get whatever they want whenever they want;the challenge for them is to not to." There goes that stigma again. JavaJoe these homes are woefully underfunded. Food is locked up.This is not a resort. There are many types of halfway houses. Usually it is a house where people are stabilized on medications before going onto permanent housing, some go back to their jobs, some go back to the street. A halfway house is not a house full of convicted felons. Convicted felons are left to their own devices and do not usually qualify for assistance.There are exceptions, however rehabilitation has not been on the prison system radar for a long, long time. Funding to help convicted felons has dwindled to record low numbers.

Javajoe25 Feb. 10, 2013 @ 10:50 a.m.

When I said they can get what they want, I meant street drugs, etc. Seems when people are trying to get clean, everyone they know has free drugs.

Radical Uterus Feb. 10, 2013 @ 10:54 p.m.

Street drugs, alcohol, or just an overwhelming desire to commit suicide, what you don't know about these homes will fit on the head of a pin. I grow weary trying to correct yours and others assumptions about what goes on in the places you only read about. Stigma is like a deep dry well that people like me will never climb out of.