Syltoya Sterling 5:30 p.m., Sept. 3
- As this country rocked like a boat in Galilee’s storms,
- I spent the whole year not losing my belief in God alone,
- just doing as I could what had to be done.
- Laid up, sick, I suffered for more than a month,
- there were many hard things in the family and the world,
- but having endured it all meekly, it proved more valuable
- than any good fortune could have been.
- These days, as I dream bright dreams of the world beyond,
- entrusting all things to His divine Will,
- even if storms are forecast for the coming New Year
- there is nothing I fear.
- — “This Year,” by Ku Sang, (trans. Brother Anthony of Taizé).
More from SDReader
- "California Hills in August" and "Progress Report" — Aug. 12, 2015
- Tributes to Steve Kowit — April 7, 2015
- To Some I Have Talked with by the Fire — June 19, 2013
- My Daughter’s Wedding — April 10, 2013
- "His Parents' Baggage," by Marylin Chin — Sept. 7, 2011