Content for Wednesday, May 22, 2013
- Appeals court reinstates discrimination case against Ace Parking
- San Diego Legends: Living Well Reception
- Tax preparer gets 15 years for stealing 292 identities, $515,000
- Padres unhinged by Cardinals
- Produce from trade show donated to local food pantries
- Mobo Brain: technology at the dinner table
- Sloppy seconds? Ken Scott gets another shot at his high concept
- One week before election, Myrtle Cole and Dwayne Crenshaw were fined by Ethics Commission
- Hey, Sailor meme leaks text of fired Navy XO's "inappropriate" emails to female subordinates
- Gavin Hardkiss spins tales of local EDM culture in Cubic Lust
- Robbery suspect found hiding in bushes outside Sheriff station
- The day Pee Wee Herman landed me in the hospital
- $37 million school bond deal to finance Manchester's sale of North County Times building
- Pair accused in doggie-door-burglary are due in court today
- To Smurf, or not to Smurf: it's out of the question
- Filner has plan to spend projected budget surplus
- Pennsylvania woman makes plea bargain in “coochie” smuggle case
- Little Italy: Supping with a ghost named Wanda
News & Stories
Poway brewery introducing several first-time and one-off brews.
Details of the events that led up to the murder of Sherry Chu Chang
Narrow streets, hungry kids could be problematic
Food trucks have reportedly been causing unsafe traffic conditions while they sell snacks to children as they leave Joli Ann Leichtag Elementary School in the afternoon. According to Hector Romans, the father of two daughters, ...
Onstage plea is made at recent event
The Allied Gardens SpringFest board will meet later this month to discuss the future of the two-day celebration, SpringFest president Sherry Kelly said in a May 21 interview. The 14th annual SpringFest, held last weekend, ...
Ed Bedford finds a meal at Los Cristales, a restaurant at Las Olas Grand Hotel in Calafia.
Fool me once...
If you’ve already had your fill of illusory summer movie magic, why not set aside the comic books and spend some time watching the Iron Man of misrepresentation. In the hands of crackerjack conjurer Ricky ...
Decorative candles can be carved or of the gel variety.
“I’m doing a release show for my Great Big World solo CD at Café Ipé on Pacific Coast Highway in Leucadia on Sunday, May 26,” says former Roxy Dioxide singer/guitarist Scott Samuels, who’ll be performing ...
Recently stocked with catfish
Cars lined up for the first weekend of night-fishing at Lake Jennings on May 17. The lake — actually a water-supply reservoir — is open until midnight every Friday and Saturday night until Labor Day. ...
I hear sailors talking
America’s Cup is coming up — only the richest and 175th richest to take part in what will be a race of catamarans.
I came away from my first Brothers Gow experience with no clear idea what manner of band I was listening to. There is no defining sound here. The music seems to be the end result ...
This Los Peñasquitos tributary canyon has varied natural resources and a rich biodiversity of species.
She flits about like a sand flea, never in one place, or one state of mind, for long.
Heymatt: Every day I see cars here in San Diego with Baja California license plates. I was wondering if our cops can run the plates on cars that are registered in Mexico or if those ...
A May 3 “Hip-Hop vs. Punk” event at Tower Bar gets physical outside.
The San Diego County Fair starts next month at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, but in the meantime one of the fair board members has been making good use of the facilities himself. On May 25 ...
Thursday 23“I’ve been starting over for a long time,” sings Mikal Cronin on this summer’s briny beaut, MCII, a heady headphone set that demands a beachside romp and a re-evaluation of what passes for garage-pop ...
Jane’s Evite said the show began at 6. My father, like me, is loath to feel rushed and is absolutely opposed to any and all kinds of tardiness. When I suggested we ride together, he ...
Tuna clipper becomes troop transporter
YP-346 Goes to WarVincent Battaglia, machinist mate of Yard Patrol boat 346, never wore dog-tags in the engine room. No one did. Tropical heat made them so white hot they’d brand you. But on the ...
Hey Matt, I grew up in the University City area. I’m a grownup now, but I still go back up Regents and then up Pennant Way from time to time to visit Mom when she ...
A recounting of the arrest of As I Lay Dying frontman Tim Lambesis, suspected of attempting to hire a hit man to kill his wife.
Texas woos gunmakers — and everybody else
Today's civil war — states bribing companies to move — is a negative sum game for the nation.
Heymatt: I hate the phrase, “if you catch my drift.” I think it sounds stupid and it doesn’t even make much sense. What is my drift and why should anyone have to catch it? — ...
Daniel Bucheli, a staffer for Republican congressman Darrell Issa (who has of late been watchdogging the Obama administration’s Benghazi record), recently took a two-day free trip up the road from the nation’s capital to visit ...
With the battle over San Diego medical pot parlors raging between the city council and mayor Bob Filner and full-on legalization unfolding in Washington and Colorado, it’s probably not too surprising that more marijuana is ...
Why is the Ave Maria used so often to be said for a prayer seeing there is no petition in it? Whosoever hath any suit or request that he would gladly obtain of a prince, ...