Content for Wednesday, January 16, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: Army and Police are Monitoring Tijuana
- Baja & Border News Translations: City Council Announces Pet Sterilization Day; Interpol Captures Ensenada Alderman Alleged Murderer
- Baja & Border News Translations: Researchers Monitor New Influenza Viruses in Pigs; Cancer of the Blood, Among the Most Investigated
- Baja & Border News Translations: Guatemalans Indicate Delays with Immigration in Chiapas
- Baja & Border News Translations: Paving Work Benefits Mexicalenses; Criminal Bands Migrate
- Fabrison's: crêpe lessons in the sky
- "The Gift Shoppe" to benefit Helen Woodward Society
- Dave Grohl's Sound City one night only at Landmark's Hillcrest Cinemas
- Baja & Border News Translations: 12-Inch Water Pipeline Ruptures; Vehicles Owners can Sue City for Pothole Damages
- Dig a hole: Conrad Bain
- Baja & Border News Translations: CIOAC Denounces Abuses of Indigenous People; Ecological Workshop Offered
- A 500 Dollar Date
- Two San Diego pols reported among top richest in Congress
- Afterimage: Zero Dark Thirty
- Vista liquor license suspended for designer drug sales
- Another local anniversary ale
- Family ties that blind
- San Diego Event Picks, January 17-23
- Date night
- Bento and sandwich shop in Old Town is a just plain excellent idea
- Arizona sheriff must return Encinitas woman's medical marijuana
- Mummy Sabbatical 101 I'm leaving the Kids!
- Opera conductor takes on Dos Equis guy in Daughter of the Regiment (1 of 3)
News & Stories
Bunny, bunny, bunny...
San Diego realtors have made do during years of a depressed market. They are optimistic in 2013.
Sauce for your bones
We use a lot of barbecue sauce in the Kelly house. Our favorite has always been Gates Original. It hails from Kansas City, and my mom sends me a bottle every year at both Christmas ...
Recipe by executive chef/owner, Khan’s Cave
Mark Sun opened Khan’s Cave after he realized he couldn’t stay out of the kitchen on a Friday night.
Ed says “What the heck” and orders the snail pizza
Snail pizza at Tijuana’s El Taller Baja-Mex Restaurant.
“The band is now essentially myself and singer Jesse Malley...we do the songwriting and band management,” says guitarist Jeff Irwin of outlaw-country-blues-rockers Tilt, whose debut full-length, Howlin’, will drop January 23 at the Belly Up. ...
4th&B nightclub may reopen, this time as a dance club featuring electronic music.
I stood alone in the middle of a long aisle at Party City. I looked left. The only person in sight was the young clerk behind the register. Her face was turned away from me. ...
Fade In 2
Coaching twins have another chance — read the script.
A shaggy dog story about a nearly hairless cat in 1920s Algiers. He serves his master the rabbi, but he loves his mistress, the rabbi’s fleshy daughter. When he eats the family parrot and so ...
Big Sky Country in San Diego County
Montana is not the only state that can boast being “Big Sky Country.” We have the same bragging rights in our own backyard: the Laguna Mountains (locals call it “the Lagunas”). Tucked in the Cleveland ...
“A rock star posing as a club act.” This is how a talent buyer at a local nightclub once characterized Joey Harris. A guitarist and a singer and a songwriter, Harris was solid gold even ...
The Reader's picks for best pop, rock 'n' soul, punk 'n' blues 'n' all that jazz
Name: Daniel Sigmon Vehicle: 2004 Pontiac Vibe How do you feel about your car? I actually like it quite a bit. This is hard because I don’t care about cars. My dream is not to ...
Surprising allegations, questionable tactics
It’s no secret that the allegations of long-term corruption in the Sweetwater Union High School District have roiled the South Bay waters. A recent U-T article even calls on South Bay politicians to discuss the ...
Hey Matt: My English friend was riding in my car recently when I was pulled over by the police. I had not noticed them, but Nigel did and exclaimed, “Cripes, the rozzers are after us!” ...
The Calypso Cafe, which opened in Leucadia in 1995 and featured music seven nights a week for most of its existence, held its final show this New Year’s Eve. Located in a converted house, the ...
Firefighter injured, dogs rescued
A Santee family of four was burned out of their Poinciana Drive home Tuesday, January 15, by a two-alarm fire that destroyed much of the house's interior. A firefighter and a civilian suffered minor injuries ...
Now that the new downtown library is almost finished and preparing to open in July, moving day is just around the corner. This being the city, of course, a contractor is required. Based on a ...
The tuna spotters sought jumpers, foamers, and boilers on the water’s surface, an indication of schools below and potential future profits.
Hey Matt: Why is it that a dog stays firm and muscular when you pick him up while a cat goes all loose and floppy and sags to the bottom like the stuff in a ...
Duffy fears San Diego will turn into Amsterdam West
United States Attorney Laura Duffy, who has been waging a lengthy war against medical marijuana in San Diego — along with the city’s current mayor — is calling for reinforcements. During last year’s campaign, the ...
Hot dogs for the homeless
I was riding my bike along Abbott Street and Saratoga Avenue on January 13 and smelled the smoke of a barbecue coming from Saratoga Park, right next to the sand. I saw a long line ...
The kidnapper wanted money, tools, and a señorita.
A scheme to extort money from an Oceanside car-repair shop goes sideways.
Heymatt: How did we arrive at our crazy “standards” for paper sizes? I mean, where did sizes like eight-and-a-half by eleven inches come from? Who is responsible for this mess? And what would have happened ...
Newly installed Democratic congressman Scott Peters is already entangled in some nagging post-election financial disclosure questions, courtesy of the Federal Election Commission. In a letter to Peters campaign treasurer Nancy Haley, dated January 4, the ...
Cosplay Replay I just read the article by Siobhan Braun (“Adorable When I Dress Up,” January 10), and I would like to extend an invitation to her to go to another cosplay gathering. A handful ...
Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise; and in this sense and to this extent ...
If my feet are chained, I’ll use my ten fingers to climb to you If my hands are tied, I’ll use my knees and chin to climb to you If my legs are smashed, I’ll ...