In Playas del Rosarito last week, a Municipal police officer was suspended and is under investigation for extortion, according to various sources, including Tijuana’s daily Frontera and El Vigia.

Officer Julio Núñez Ulloa allegedly arranged to accept payment from a motorist in exchange for not citing the driver and owner of the automobile for having expired license plates.

The victim allegedly was asked for 2000 pesos (around $160) in order to not cite him for the past-due placas, but that amount was negotiated down to half of that, some 1000 pesos.The payment was to take place in a different location, and as both the officer and the victim had Nextel cellular service, they exchanged numbers.

The plan unraveled when the victim then notified the department of public safety, reported the bribe attempt, and gave officials the officer's cell-phone number, through which the alleged briber was identified.

There will be a hearing at a future date to decide the fate of the officer, who will remain suspended, pending the outcome.

Rosarito's police department has recently undergone changes, including the replacement of their chief of police, and they have instituted a “zero corruption" program as part of their policy. Julio César Reyes González was recently appointed chief of the municipal transit police.

Comments

Fulano de Tal Oct. 7, 2012 @ 8:34 p.m.

Why does your headline say it was a Tijuana policeman, when the article says it was a Rosarito policeman?

David Dodd Oct. 7, 2012 @ 8:37 p.m.

Editors write the headlines. Writers just write and submit.

Robert Mizrachi Oct. 8, 2012 @ 3:33 p.m.

Apologies, David. It's fixed – Robert Mizrachi

Visduh Oct. 7, 2012 @ 9:36 p.m.

"Zero corruption" in Mexico. Bwah, haw, haw, haw, That's about the most outrageous thing I've read in months or years. One baby step to reform? I really, really doubt that. If it were April 1, we would know what this story was. But actually I thought that this was a Mencken piece. His headlines and stories often are less bizarre than this one. Excuse me while I roll on the floor some more. Gasp.

David Dodd Oct. 8, 2012 @ 10:59 a.m.

Have fun with that. I see the changes, they are slow, but certain. This grabbed me because I felt very proud of the brave bastard that turned that copper in. They try here. Anti-Bukowski, I know, but bloody hell they try.

zunigan Oct. 8, 2012 @ 2:56 p.m.

Sounds like the same one who stopped my husband and I...we had to pay 43 dollars for going wrong way down sreet...if they can truly fix thus problem then great..but dont really think it will be..everyone has a story and they are always about how much u pay...

David Dodd Oct. 8, 2012 @ 4:09 p.m.

15 bucks would have been sufficient. Everyone would have walked away happy (keep a certain amount of cash on-hand for emergencies, but not too much). But it's nice to see people standing up to these traffic cops. It's changing, slowly, very slowly. But it is.