Kelly Formaldehyde sporting one of her old-timey “hair fascinators.”
  • Kelly Formaldehyde sporting one of her old-timey “hair fascinators.”

Kelly Formaldehyde and her friend Chance Huerta have been scenesters for years. “We’ve been going to shows together for more than 20 years. We’d go to all the shows at the original Soma, at the Ché Café...”

Her longtime side gig is making hair accessories. “I make everything from the ’20s through the ’50s — old Hollywood style.” Her La Jolla day job is more serious. She works full-time as a cancer-research associate.

Cancer touched her personal life. Her son has brain cancer and her friend Huerta, 44, found out two months ago he has colon cancer.

“He had surgery and was in the hospital for three weeks. Like most tattoo artists, he has no medical insurance. The bills were stacking up.” So Formaldehyde helped organize a fundraiser for Huerta at the Ruby Room. She donated “hair fascinators” that were sold in a silent auction. “We had artwork from all over San Diego we were auctioning.”

Formaldehyde posted on her Facebook page that the fundraiser was happening and urged her friends to show up to support the cause. But she added a caveat: “I had been there four months before and the door guy was extremely rude. He was being a dick.”

That Facebook posting did not sit well with Ruby Room owner Sean Cute. Like many bar and restaurant owners, he closely follows what people say about his place on Yelp and Facebook.

“He starts going off on me that I hadn’t told him about it in person, that I had disrespected him, and that I shouldn’t write things like that on my Facebook page. I told him this was my private Facebook page and I can write what I want. I was blown away, but I told him I would leave if he wanted me to, even though I was supposed to be doing the silent auction. A half hour goes by and he comes back and says I’m no longer welcome there but that I was allowed to keep my stuff there. I told him that as a business owner he should have tried to rectify the [bouncer] situation. Instead, he blew it up.”

She left but says Cute then added insult to injury. “I had scientists who I work with who came to support my friend who was sick tell me the next day that [Cute] said I was involved in an altercation and was asked to leave. I told him my son had three brain tumors and was going through radiation and chemotherapy. He said it was not his fault that I was going through a rough time. He couldn’t suck it up for a cancer benefit. He could have said something like, ‘After tonight, it’s probably a good idea if you didn’t come back.”

She said she will be posting a review of the Ruby Room on Yelp.

“I don’t think you can stay in business by treating people like that. By the way, the door man still works there.”

Cute stands up for his actions. “We didn’t feel comfortable having her in our club. You try and do a lot for people, but some people just can’t be happy. We don’t charge artists rental fees [to display and sell their art for sale in the Ruby Room]. We get no cut. We have [artwork] here for good vibes. There was a bad vibe going on. Sometimes when people can’t have a good time, and it happens over and over, they become what I call a dark cloud. When that happens we want that dark cloud out of our sky.”

Regarding the doorman, Cute says, “Employees can always do better. Customers can always do better. She could have been nicer as well. We’re all human beings. It just seems like she singled something out that happened a long time ago. Like she was hell bent on turning against a local business...a business that makes sure artists and musicians get paid. My mom has cancer, but I don’t use it as an excuse to mistreat people.”

Cute admits social media matters. “She has a right to attack us [on Facebook], but why can’t we hear from all the other people who had a fantastic night that night?”

Comments

chace May 30, 2012 @ 7:29 p.m.

My name is Chance Hurteau (the last name that you printed was way off). I am the artist that was thrown for my benefit at the Ruby Room (who charged no fee for using their awesome esttablishment to help raise money for my medicle bills. Reading the review and commentary by Ken Lieghton portrays the events in such a bad and flalse night that I find it insulting. I am not going to comment on Kellys story of what went on. That is between the journalist and her, but I am going to set some information straight. I have stage 4 cancer that has spread to my liver and bones. Without me even being aware of the fact James Vincent (from Inkspot in Pacific Beach), Genghis (also from Inkspot) and Scott from Ruby Room took it upon themselves to organize this benefit on my behalf. They busted there ass's for months, gathering well over 60 pieces of origianal gorgous donated artwork from artists like Aaronn Della Vedova from Guru, Tanya from Avalon, Mike Sirot, genghis from Inkspot, Tim Lees from Propogands, the boys at SideshowTattoo, the list goes on and on. Andrea Going Framed all the artwork for the auction with money out of her own pocket. The turn out was incredible. To say the least, this even touched my heart. The amount of freinds and family (these friends actually belong in my family catagory) came outta the wood works. They were there showing love and doing whatever they could do to help me. Even the Ruby Room through in the elbow grease to make things happen. In my opinion, this story is so blown out of proportion. I cant comment on what happened because I wasnt there. But I can comment on what I saw for the brief time I was able to check it out (unfortunatly I just got done with a Chemo session and didnt have the strength to stay. The amount of money that the people I am proud to call friends had donated was in the thousands. Being out of work at the moment, the money they raised helped me with meds I couldnt afford; food; bills; perscriptions; and additional chemo meds they wanted to start me on. I am grateful for everything these people have done. More than they could ever know. I dont think a little squirmish is worth turning such a chairitable event into appearing ugly and under a dark cloud. I just want the facts straight....the people there at the Ruby Room hosted (without charge) an event that made a differance in someone life as well as all those that I call friend that had attended this event all had made a differance in my life for the better....litterally. So lets give credit where credit is due. I love them all for what they have done and when I slay this cancers ass...Im throwing and event for them in gratitude. Thank you all who helped me when help was running low on gas!!!!!

None

chace May 31, 2012 @ 10:53 a.m.

Sorry about the horrific grammer, punctuation..etc. I was really out of it from the morphine I need for pain control. Ps. The morphine that the event gave me the ability to pay for.

Genghis May 31, 2012 @ 12:16 a.m.

I am REALLY blown away by this!!!! This article is REALLY fcked up on so many levels! I don't even know what to say. I'M SO FCKING PISSED RIGHT NOW! You have NO idea how disrespectful this article is. I can give a shit about what happened to Kelly. This event WASN'T about her. And frankly, right about now, I'm glad she got kicked out!!! A HUGE community of artists band together to put this event on and THIS is what you decided you wanted to write about? ONE person's beef with the Ruby Room staff? It's no wonder I don't read your bullshit articles. Looks like you're a little desperate to find something to write about. Maybe you should try covering the POSITIVE side of Benefits instead of broadcasting stupid drama bullsht that means NOTHING to everyone else. We've had so many GREAT POSITIVE articles, write ups/blogs written about this wonderful event. Too bad you guys decided to make the mistake of painting it in a bad light. I will be boycotting the Reader. You should be ashamed of yourselves. And good luck to Kelly who seems to be GREAT at burning bridges. FCK THE READER!

Darkman May 31, 2012 @ 7:57 a.m.

You don't read their BS articles yet you comment on them, hahahaha

Genghis May 31, 2012 @ 8:47 a.m.

Uhhh... Yeah... After I received multiple emails about this article. I'm not even in the country right now and, oh my, how word travels fast

shelleymanning May 31, 2012 @ 7:15 a.m.

Bad form Reader. Sensationalizing a small tiff at a huge event, and turning what would be a positive and uplifting story into something for people to gawk at.

1- Get your facts straight.

2- Spell names correctly.

3- Don't dig for dirt. There is so much bad in this world, it is wonderful to get to read something NICE on occasion.

I'm sorry to the friends of this Gentleman who organized this wonderful event.

And to Mr. Hurteau, I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

stv127 May 31, 2012 @ 7:25 a.m.

OK you JERKS back off of Kelly. She never asked for the article to be written. Nor did she ask for the slimballs at the rude room to treat her like shit. Also it is real cool for people who Kelly called friends to be turning like this. Considering how upset she was by Chances illness and how she tried to do everything she could for him, and how she has been a friend of Chances most of her life, she has every right to be angry over what those IDIOTS did.

DangerPig May 31, 2012 @ 7:37 a.m.

Ruby Room rocks! They don't just go kicking people out randomly. People make it a point to get themselves kicked out.

Genghis May 31, 2012 @ 7:49 a.m.

First off, random articles about specific people don't spring out of no where. People running their mouths make articles happen. If she was REALLY a friend, she would do everything in her power to get this taken down. WE hav EVERY right to be pissed. Let's not make Kelly out to be the fcking victim here, when this whole article is a slap in the face to EVERYONE who put this Benefit on and this includes the Ruby Room, who I will continue to defend. They did EVERYTHING they could to help us out! YOURE the one being the Jerk, calling people names and shit, not minding ALL ELSE who cares about Chance. Slap yourself.

SanDiego_OutLoud May 31, 2012 @ 8:33 a.m.

Well, she just mentioned in another thread that she DID talk to Ken. "Jerks", "Idiots" ...get your facts straight before popping off your mouth.

DangerPig May 31, 2012 @ 7:28 a.m.

It is sad that you focus on a problem causing person being removed for being a problem and not for the awesome show they put on. The staff at the Ruby Room let people get away with a lot of stuff most other bars would toss you on your ass for. They let people be the people they want, and unless you are violent, harassing, under aged and trying to sneak in, or sneaking drinks in and out, they invite you to have a great time. Sean always gives people multiple chances to screw up before he would even think of 86ing you. I have watched them kick people out for the night, and told them they are welcome back another day after they get over whatever their problem is that night. They give people the benefit of the doubt, maybe they drank too much, had a rough night, or were just frustrated by something unrelated, but the next time you should know you have to behave. They have an obligation to other patrons to remove any problems from the bar and make it a safe and enjoyable venue, and they use 86ing someone as a very last resort. It is sad that you would write an article focused only on the fact that someone who f-ed up several times at the bar for being a bitch and having a personal beef with the establishment. You want to write an article about how I had bad customer service at my local Vons? Or how about the time an employee at another establishment was a bit of a douche one night. You want to write about other peoples personal beefs? I thought that was what Facebook was for, not a magazine. Sean is awesome, and to give up space he could utilize to make money for any cause is more then anyone else does locally. Sean and the crew at the Ruby have on several occasions allowed and organized fundraisers with out asking for or taking a dime. I say even if he was a little short and rude with an irritating customer that was causing trouble for others it is far outweighed by all the things they do for the community. They don't charge artists a single penny, they don't take a cut period. I also understand they don't take a cut from the bands either. What the bands make at the door is for the bands, the Ruby survives on drink sales alone. It is sad you can't focus on the good they do for the community, but have to air someones personal grievances because they were told to leave. I have a grievance with your shitty magazine, maybe City Beat will publish an article about how I personally think your rag sucks. No, wait, there is only one shitty San Diego magazine that has nothing else to cover.

jlycali May 31, 2012 @ 9:37 a.m.

ager Omg...I had to wait and calm down before i could even respond to this. I think that the event that GENGHIS and her Fellow artists put together was amazing! THe fact that they are focusing on the one person that probably deserved to get kicked out got kicked out is ridiculous. Why don't they focus on the fact that a community of AMAZING artists and friends came together to help someone who didn't ask for it but needed it.THe event brought people together from all over San Diego, everyone is affected by this terrible disease every day and they are worried about the Troublemaker who got kicked out. Hello, it doesn't matter who you are there are rules ad ways to act in public, if you don't know how by the time you are an adult well then stay Home! Or don't be surprised when you have consequences to face. If you were fortunate enough to attend the benefit, you were fortunate enough to experience and amazing outpouring of love and support for a friend! THank you Genghis for inviting me and being so Awesome! No thanks to the Reader for possibly doing something positive for your San Diego community, instead support the Trouble. Good Job!

SanDiego_OutLoud May 31, 2012 @ 10:13 a.m.

Not to mention... The Reader did NOT support promoting the event!! I reached out to them weeks before and never heard back from anyone there. CityBeat on the other hand, DID respond! The Reader wonders why people prefer to read CityBeat (somewhere around 4:1). SUPPORT YOUR COMMUNITY!

spoonage May 31, 2012 @ 10:20 a.m.

The Reader didn't respond to your notice about an art show/fund raiser because you weren't buying ad space for weed, surgery, tanning, etc.

spoonage May 31, 2012 @ 10:34 a.m.

At least he confronted her directly when she was talking shit about the Ruby Room while being allowed to do something there for free. He didn't go shit-talking on Facebook, he went straight to the horse. I think she missed the point of being confronted, she was talking shit about the place while utilizing it's facilities free of charge. Not only did she hurt the Ruby Room with her obviously confrontational attitude, but she hurt the friend she says she was trying to help out by making the event sound undesirable to her Facebook friends. Way to fail in every aspect. Then how does the Reader even pick up on some Facebook drama? Does the staff just troll any page of people who liked them looking for drama? How about you write about things that matter, like the show itself, not one persons drama. I wouldn't even clean my ass with your Rag.

None

Ken Leighton May 31, 2012 @ 1:16 p.m.

Kelly contacted the Reader. That's why this article happened. Don't really understand all the drama. No one said anything negative about all the goodwill put out by the artists and the Ruby Room. The main point of this, in my view, is that a venue would kick someone out over what that person wrote on their own Facebook page. It also should be noted that no one seems to be defending the behavior of the bouncer. It seems like Kelly had a valid complaint. It could be argued that Kelly should have contacted the Ruby Room directly about the bouncer. It could also be argued that it was in really bad form that Kelly was asked to leave a fundraiser that she contributed to and worked for. What is this about being a "troublemaker." She got tossed out because of what she wrote about a defective bouncer on her Facebook page. Yet she still brought paying co-workers who paid to get in to support the cause. She donated her time and talent to the cause. Kelly didn't mind being asked to Ruby Room. She only thought it could have waited until after the fundraiser for her longtime friend.

spoonage May 31, 2012 @ 3:12 p.m.

And what did this "Bad Bouncer" do exactly? He was in her opinion a "Dick" several months prior. Yes she does have every right to wright whatever she wants on her Facebook page, but an establishment has the right to throw someone out for shit talking the venue while she is utilizing it's space for free. They didn't cancel the fundraiser, they 86'ed the person causing drama. She didn't tell the owner 4 months ago of any problem, then uses their space for free and shit talks them. That's being a trouble maker. She says the bouncer was a "dick", but for all we know she was a bitch and didn't follow the rules, so he had to be rude to her. How can you say you don't understand all the drama when it is the fault of the publisher, Kelly, and the reader for even bothering to write on such a petty event. Just because she contributed to a fundraiser doesn't give her the right to be a bitch and shit talk a venue that is allowing her to be there. She should be grateful and shut her mouth, let the past be the past. Maybe the bouncer is still there because he is not a dick and Kelly is...over dramatic.... Why else would she contact the magazine so that an idiot can write about a personal beef between a bar and her attitude. Just shows you have nothing better to write about, that is why the reader sucks. The Ruby Room is awesome, the owners and staff are as well. The bouncer in question is very nice. If he was a dick to her he probably had very good justification. You call the bouncer "defective", but you don't know shit about him. The reader and it's staff can't research facts, just form a one sided opinion. Your magazine started the uproar by shit talking a local business that gives to the community. They have every right to throw out anyone who is causing problems. Shit talking on her own Facebook page shows she didn't want to be there, so her and her attitude should be gone. Maybe next time she won't take advantage of someones kindness while at the same time shit talking them in public forums. The reason people are pissed is because the Ruby and it's staff are real cool people and you slandered them based on...personal complaint....

Genghis June 1, 2012 @ 4:28 a.m.

Kenl...Please enlighten me on what you think the scenario was. Because what you are saying and the story she's telling me are different. Explain...so I can call her out on her bullshit some more...Or do your REALLY know what you're talking about? Were you even there? Kelly's sob story seems to change from person to person, while claiming to me that her words were "distorted" in this article. Sounds like she's the one doing all the distorting. Kenl...tell me some more, please...And for the record, there was no "paying to get in". People who attended got a FREE show, with no cover. Talk about what you know, not your assumptions. And please also school me on how much time and effort you think she put into this....??? Because out of everyone, besides the Ruby Room staff, that slaved away for over a month putting this thing together, most of us met her only 30mins before she got kicked out(the only 30mins she spent at the event), for the VERY FIRST TIME. Enlighten me...

vintagemamma June 15, 2012 @ 1:39 p.m.

I think it is very important to note that negative comments on Facebook are used as grounds for dismissal from professional institutions.... so, if you can lose your job for making negative comments in a public forum (make no mistake, Facebook IS public) about your place of employment why wouldn't the Ruby Room do the same. It is very unprofessional to make a negative comment about a venue you are working (especially when that venue is donating their space) on a social forum. When you are active in the community and your Facebook comments can be viewed and shared by hundreds of San Diegans you can no longer claim that they are "private". The Ruby Room had the right to ask her to leave and it seems that Kelly is the one who turned it all into a big deal if she was the one who contacted the Reader with her "story". A story that was cleary not researched or fairly reported. I believe the real human interest story here was about the amazing community efforts to benefit a local artist in need, not one persons bad behavior and the spanking they got because of it.

Jay Allen Sanford June 1, 2012 @ 3:05 a.m.

The article poses perfectly fair, topical, and even timely questions. Is such online venting akin to standing in front of the school your kids go to, with a giant sign reading “Don’t send YOUR kids here”? In a local music scene so clique-y and insular (some would say inbred), both in area venues and within online virtual counterparts like Facebook (mostly comprising the same people from the shows), one person’s online POV can have direct and far reaching impact. Most everybody who likely cares about the topic is probably reading all the same posts and blogs.

What rights of response do those have who find themselves being talked about in a negative light?

However you feel about the answers to those questions, this comment discussion is precisely why articles like this are (IMO) fine fare for this particular newspaper, the majority of whose content now mostly appears in the online electronic publication rather than the print edition. SanDiegoReader.com/news/blurt is a perfect forum to talk about such things.

In the article itself (since the worth of its very existence was challenged), both Sean and Kelly get to clearly state their differing POVS; the story in no way seems to favor one over the other.

The comments section is where the balance goes all kablooey. In this case, most everyone seems to side with the Ruby Room, and their right to boot someone they found troublesome, both in-person and online.

Doesn’t mean the other side wasn’t worth bringing up too, starting with the article and continuing here.

MsGrant June 1, 2012 @ 1:12 p.m.

Thank god I am old. I will never have to deal with another doorman again at places like the Douchie Room. Reminds me of the a**hat that worked South Beach in O.B. Shame on her friends for caring more about future entry to this bastion of doucheosity rather than have her back. Desperate.

spoonage June 2, 2012 @ 8:50 a.m.

... I remember one time looking at her stuff for my lady, she was just ranting and bitching about the other artists at the event. Made me walk away. Hope she enjoys the publicity she so obviously sought out. Too bad it bit her in the ass.

Ken Leighton June 1, 2012 @ 1:10 p.m.

You are right. I was assuming. Every fundraiser I ever heard about or have been connected with collected money at the door which all went to the cause. Usually there is a representative of the benefactor doing the collecting. What is the point of doing a fundraiser when there is no request for money at the door? That was an assumption that should not have been made by me. The guy needed money, so lets do a fundraiser for him but were not collecting any funds. WTF? Sounds like Ruby Room got a good deal that night. They got a packed house and a nice bar. But no money from the door for the poor guy. I wonder if any money from the bar went to their "fundraiser." That is a question that should have been asked. If I had of known there was no cover, I would have asked Mr. Cute that question. I mean, what kind of fundraiser is this? I don't know that Kelly put any more or less time into the effort than the other fine artists who donated their talent and time.

Genghis June 1, 2012 @ 1:48 p.m.

Hmmm...yeah...have you ever been to an ART fundraiser? The money that was raised was in the THOUSANDS, by the 40+ artists who donated 60+ pieces of art. And yes, a lot of places DO charge a cover at the door to pay for the DJ, sound guy, doormen, security, bands and have a minimum at the bar. Ruby Room charged us NONE of that. The sound guy was a donation, a couple well known bands who were ALSO friends of the artists and the Ruby Room DONATED their time to play and we DID NOT have to pay for the DJ or doormen. RUBY ROOM DID ALL OF THAT FOR US! And for that we are THANKFUL! Other bars wanted to charge us hundreds of dollars, with a bar sale minimum. Plus we got nice donations from Sailor Jerry, through the Ruby Room. So...yeah...there goes your assumptions again...lol

Genghis June 1, 2012 @ 1:52 p.m.

Oh yeah...the doormen were, in fact collecting money at the door, that people chose to pay out of the kindness of their heart. Ruby Room didn't collect a portion of that money. In fact the owners bought some merchandise and helped the cause. The fundraiser was quite successful.

SanDiego_OutLoud June 1, 2012 @ 6:49 p.m.

Ken, next time you write an article, do your research. Ruby Room's roll just like any other venue, is to be just that... a place to hold an event. Since you did NOT show up to the event, nor do your research, I will lay it all out for you nice a easy. Here are your cliff notes Jimmy Olsen:

• A portion of the money made at the bar went to promoting the event. The left over money from that percentage was then donated directly to Chance.

-Door money: We did not have a set cover. We had a sign that asked for a "Suggested Donation". 100% of that money collected was donated directly to Chance. The reason we did not set a fixed door cover was to encourage patrons to buy more silent auction tickets. We also did not want to make patrons feel like they were nickle and dimed at ever turn of the corner.

-Entertainment/Talent: Wizard Sleeves, Deep Sea Thunderbeast, Alioth, and Secret Fun Club performed for free.

• We received somewhere around 70 items donated (mostly artwork). Donations came from all over the United States. ALL donated items were either sold, or entered into our silent auction. Most of the items were won. What ever was left over was split up between Ruby Room and Shakedown. Ruby Room: pieces were hung up for sale in RR's main art wall. 100% of the sales of the remaining artwork will go straight to Chance. Shakedown: May 18th, the Shakedown hosted a second Chance event. Their portion of the RR artwork, along with additional artwork donated, was all auctioned off.

Here is a good story for you to go after... Find out why The Breast Cancer Foundation takes a huge part of their donated money and gives it directly to the Republican Party. Another story.... Kony 2012...

The list goes on... Go after actual corrupt fundraisers, non-profits, and charities.

Let me know if you need anymore information. You know how to get in touch with me.

joezbloz June 2, 2012 @ 8:30 a.m.

I know Sean personally and he has many times taken a wad of money from his own pocket and threw towards a fundraiser. Shame on you for even asking if he personally gave money when he gave more then that in space, promotion, etc. He gave up a lot of costs to make the even happen, and knowing Sean he pulled some cash from his own pocket and pooled it towards the cause. He just isn't an egoist who needs to show off that he does.... Just admit you are a fool for starting this entire mess with your idiocy....

MsGrant June 1, 2012 @ 1:20 p.m.

And what does "being a bitch and not following the rules" mean? Not kissing the ass of some meathead working the door?!? Ladies, you are better than this.

spoonage June 3, 2012 @ 10:30 a.m.

It means exactly what is says. She...thinks she is entitled.

SanDiego_OutLoud June 1, 2012 @ 2:33 p.m.

HERE IS THE LETTER I WROTE THE EDITOR OF THE READER... and not to my surprise, they did not respond.

I'd like to start off by saying that I enjoy reading your magazine, and I believe that it is a staple of the community. There is an article I read today called "Black Cloud", and in so many words I am infuriated with this article.

Kelly Formaldehyde used "her friend" Chance as a tool to create a smear campaign for her own interest. Her issues with Ruby Room stem from her being an unstable individual, and trying to pass the blame on others for her actions. Kelly absolutely did not have any part of the organization of the May 3rd "Evening For Chance" event at Ruby Room. The event planning and execution was entirely handled by Honor Industries (Marketing Agency) with the direct help of Genghis (local tattooer - apprenticed under Chance), and Andrea Going (long time friend of Chance). Not only did she not have any involvement, but she didn't even attend, and from my understanding she did not attend the second event that was thrown at the Shakedown.

Kelly showed up to the Ruby Room about an hour before load in and dropped off some hair clips to be auctioned off that night. While inside, she was calmly approached by Sean Cute and was asked to leave. After her the last time she became unglued at RR (4 months ago), she was finally 86ed for good. She has had many erratic episodes inside Ruby Room and that was the final straw. It was her own actions that lead her not to be able to attend the event.

The real issue here is that Chance's Fundraiser events are being over shadowed by a very selfish, and over embellishing individual. The "Evening For Chance" event was a huge success due to the overwhelming donations from artists from all over the country. Nearly all the artwork was sold! All the remaining artwork is currently displayed and for sale in the bar area of Ruby Room. 100% of the sales will go straight to Chance.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

-Jim

www.honorindustries.com

Barbarella Fokos June 1, 2012 @ 3:06 p.m.

FYI, Editor or Writer usually responds in print to letters when they are printed in the "Letters to the Editor" section in the next issue. So it would make sense that a response has not yet been formed (if a response is planned). As a Reader Rep, I just want you to know we do pay attention to letters, and thank you for sending them (and for commenting).

All the best, to each and every one of you, Barbarella

SanDiego_OutLoud June 1, 2012 @ 5:15 p.m.

Barbarella, Sorry for jumping the gun on this. I just assumed that I'd get some type of response.

spoonage June 3, 2012 @ 10:32 a.m.

Also note the irony of the Reader being able to remove your comments because they don't like them.

nan shartel June 4, 2012 @ 5:48 p.m.

ah no...the Reader only removes flamer type of comments.. rude, inflammatory.sexually explicit language...swearing.degrading.bullying isn't tolerated

the Reader doesn't care if ur opinionated ...we like opinions here...but with a modicum of good taste where the language of the comment and it's intent is concerned

chace June 3, 2012 @ 7:26 p.m.

Im gonna cut to the jist of it all. Im the guy that these wonderful friends (includeing the Ruby Room) came together for to help out on their own accord. I didnt request it...they did it out of careing, and for that I am forever grateful, proud and overwhelmed by the friends I have. I wasnt able to attend due to my health, yet at the end of that very night, I had thousands of dollars in my hand to assist me through chemo therapy. Tell me where the bad is in what they have done, because from my perspective, this was nothing but an act of kindness...and thats all I have to say about this.

Ken Leighton June 4, 2012 @ 9:59 p.m.

Speaking only for myself, there are 2 big take-aways from this. 1/ Bar owners now 86 someone for what that person writes on their own private Facebook page. 2/ When you experience defective doorman behavior you should contact the bar owner directly first and get satisfaction before you take the issue public. Bullies should never be tolerated. But there are better ways to deal with a problem like this. And maybe this last one. If the bar owner feels the need to eject someone over what they wrote on their private Facebook page, they should maybe wait until the end of the night (i.e. not during a fundraiser where the person in question was contributing to the cause). It is interesting to note from all the above comments that Kelly did not exhibit any "unglued" behavior the night she was ejected. Her expulsion was Facebook driven. You heard "Use a gun, go to jail," it's now "Post a bitch, get 86'ed."

Genghis June 6, 2012 @ 6:23 a.m.

I would still like to know what the doorman did. What he did exactly, STILL hasn't been expressed. And if I were Sean, I would have tossed her ass out too. She told me she has done numerous art shows at the Ruby Room. If a person is allowing you to use their facilities, AGAIN, for free, why do you feel it's appropriate to bash the people who are helping you? Hmmm.....yeah.... There is nothing you can say that will ever make me understand that. Her feeling of self entitlement and her bad attitude is what got her kicked out. And with this article she decided to have done(even tho she emailed me claiming she contacted you guys to "promote" Chance's benefit. And you guys wrote a bunch of lies and twisted her words. I find that humorous), she's been 86'ed out of people's lives. I think this should be a lesson for her, that maybe she should keep her mouth shut. It was a very selfish thing to do, on her part, to have this article written about her drama, and not about the amazing man that this benefit was thrown for. She has such a bleeding heart for her long time friend, Chance, but didn't attend nor contribute to his other events. Not that she has too, BUT for someone trying to make a Martyr of themselves, I call bullshit. She didn't contribute as much as this article suggests. And she may have not exhibit any "unglued" behavior when she was there, but she was sure talking a lot of shit about the owners when she arrived WHILE INSIDE THE BAR. *And accused me of some drama(mind you, I had just met her for the first time and was busy trying to set up and host an event for hundreds of people who RSVP'd) that happened at my shop almost 3yrs ago, that I had nothing to do with me. My friend had to step in and assure her it wasn't me, since my friend was there when the drama happened and somehow my words, "That wasn't me", 50 times, wasn't registering in Kelly's brain. WHO DOES THAT!?!!!? The WHOLE 30mins she was there was filled with nothing but a bunch of gossip and shit talking that made everyone else around her really uncomfortable, the people who were busy setting up and not just standing around gossiping, . So needless to say, when she got kicked out, nobody was crying about it. Nobody cared. Nobody even tried to stick up for her. NOBODY wants to listen to her drama, ESPECIALLY drama about the good people who contributed MORE than she ever has. Notice how everyone who was ACTUALLY THERE, isn't defending her. I think EVERYONE is pretty much tired of her shit. I'm tired and I don't even know her.