(stock photo)
  • (stock photo)

Early morning TV news viewers may have noticed that KFMB/CBS 8's morning crew was not on the air on Friday, March 16.

Normally starting at 4:30 a.m., news anchors Dan Cohen and Nichelle Medina were replaced by the CBS headline-news program Up to the Minute, which repeated every half hour.

According to an associate producer at the station, the main editing computer for the newsroom experienced a major malfunction at around 3:30 a.m. The news stories were ready to roll, the anchors and field reporters were standing by, but the station could not get anything on the air.

The station likely lost thousands of dollars in ad revenue, as they could not air any local spots.

“We thought we would be up several times by now,” said an associate producer. “This has never happened before.”

At 7:00 a.m., when the station switched to the CBS This Morning Show, the newsroom problem was still not fixed.

(stock photo)

Comments

dwbat March 18, 2012 @ 5:14 p.m.

How many people are watching the show at 4:30 a.m.? About 25?

bigairdavid21 March 20, 2012 @ 12:05 p.m.

Hey, some people enjoy watching the news before bed

SurfPuppy619 March 20, 2012 @ 3:07 p.m.

I remember when KNSD/39 first went all night with their news- they had two reporters, Monica Gayle and a guy who is now natinal, I think his name was Hammer??

Here is Gayle;

Ken Harrison March 21, 2012 @ 1:37 a.m.

hey dwbat, obviously enough people watch to bring in acrew with high priced anchors at 4:30. BTW - I used to work for ASCAP!

Ken Harrison March 21, 2012 @ 1:34 a.m.

Surf Pup, are you sure it wasn't KNSD's 11PM news re-played throughout the night? They still re-play their 11PM at 4AM.

SurfPuppy619 March 21, 2012 @ 10:52 a.m.

I was positive they ran an ALL NIGHT newscast, but I emailed Monica Gayle in Detroit after I found her profile and where she was at and she says they didn't, so I appear to be wrong. I swear that was my recollection though.