• Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

In 1938, a monument in front of Lakeside Grammar School on Woodside Avenue was dedicated to the memory of Hugo “Otto” Marcks. Marcks was a longtime resident of Lakeside and operated one of the only grocery stores in town for many years. He gained a reputation as a philanthropist when the Depression struck, and he carried many a family so they could eat without worrying about repayment. He also served on the school board as member and clerk for 25 years.

Growth at what’s now known as Lakeside Middle School dictated a need for redesign of the vehicular access paths in front of the building, and the monument was in the way. Lakeside Unified School District came up with a plan to move the monument to accommodate the redesign. When the contractor began digging beneath it, they discovered that it had no supporting foundation and would probably disassemble if disturbed.

Subsequently, Betty McMillen of the Lakeside Historical Society's preservation committee contacted the chief project manager, and they worked to come up with an alternative plan.

In a May 13 letter to the school district, Barbara Hogue, president of the Lakeside Historical Society, requested that the monument be undisturbed. On May 15, a spokesperson for the district contacted the historical society and said plans are being drawn up to avoid potential damage to the monument.

  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

More from SDReader

More from the web

Comments

Sign in to comment

Join our
newsletter list

Enter to win $25 at Broken Yolk Cafe

Each newsletter subscription
means another chance to win!

Close