Tempers flared in the Vista courthouse on May 17 when 59-year-old Michael Theodore Pines, acting as his own attorney, was brought before a superior-court judge.

Prosecutor James Romo said that Pines has filed suits against persons “as an intimidation factor,” and “his language of violence has increased” over the past months. The prosecutor said Pines threatened persons who moved into a home that Pines’s clients were trying to reclaim after they were evicted in a foreclosure.

Pines interrupted the prosecutor, saying, “This is complete nonsense.... No, I’ve never threatened people.... This is pure harassment.”

The prosecutor and the accused interrupted each other until judge Marshall Hockett restored order to the proceedings: “I find you are a danger to this community, sir,” said the judge, who ordered Pines’s bail set at $227,000.

The State Bar of California declared Pines “not eligible to practice law” two weeks ago; as of May 1, he is “involuntarily enrolled as inactive.” Pines had law offices in Carlsbad.

A 17-page explanation from the “Office of the Chief Trial Counsel” stated: “…instead of relying on an established set of legal remedies to assert a borrower’s rights when facing a foreclosure, respondent advises his clients that they have the right to engage in self-help and retake their former homes by forcibly breaking into them after new owners have taken title…. He even, on occasion, threatened ‘an armed conflict’ to carry out his goals….”

Pines was arraigned on five felonies, including “stalking” the people who moved into the home that had been foreclosed upon. He pleaded not guilty to all charges, declined to waive time, and is next expected in the Vista Courthouse on May 25.

The subject of this piece, Michael T. Pines, is not to be confused with Michael Pines, a San Diego attorney.

Pictured: Michael Pines at the Vista Courthouse, May 17

Photo credit: Bob Weatherston

Comments

SurfPuppy619 May 18, 2011 @ 10:25 p.m.

Well, since he did not waive time and wants a "speedy trial", if he is in jail and not out on bond he must be brought to trial within 30 days, 45 days if out on bond.

There is no way he will be convicted of any felonies, I guarantee you that. He has been over charged and I question the judge's claim of him being a danger to the community.

SurfPuppy619 May 18, 2011 @ 10:42 p.m.

The dork prosecutor needs to bone up on the 1st Amendment. Free speech baby, in America we have the right to spesak out minds.

As for “his language of violence.." BS, if he was making threats as the dork claims, he could have been arrested on that alone, but he wasn't, so much for the "threats" BS. I hate dork prosecutors who talk out their butt an don't know the law. I hate dork judges who rubber stamp their BS even more.

. “Mr. Pines is completely and utterly out of control,” said the deputy district attorney.

========================== Yes, so "out of control" he was not arrested for making threats-amazing!

Eva Knott May 19, 2011 @ 8:20 a.m.

Michael Pines was arraigned on four felonies, all of which involved accusations of "stalking" the different persons who moved into the disputed home. Pines also was charged with three misdemeanors, these involved harrassment of persons in the home by making a false 911 call claiming there was a burglary going on at the home. And there is one more felony charge of unlawful practice of law after the State Bar "involuntarily enrolled" Pines as "inactive." Per the Sheriff's website, it looks like Pines bailed out of jail immediately after his arraignment. Eva

SurfPuppy619 May 19, 2011 @ 12:38 p.m.

Like I said, there is no way this guy will go to trial on 4 felonies, much less get convicted.

SurfPuppy619 May 19, 2011 @ 10:36 p.m.

Rail, the DA HAS to turn over all the evicence, to you or your lawyer-it is a constitutional right. You do not "make them" turn it over, the HAVE TO turn it over, usually without even asking.

If you are ever charged with any crime, but especially a felony, you get a lawyer or if you're broke get a public defender (who are usually much better than the average criminal lawyer).

Going pro per on ANY case in a criminal or civil case is nuts. The rules of procedure and evidence and everything else are highly complex and technical and lawyers spend YEARS in law school learning these rules, and more years in real life refining them.

One last thing, you do not need to "go on record" for a jury trial (or any of your other rights), it is a constitutional right and must be WAIVED, waived on the record.

SurfPuppy619 May 20, 2011 @ 5:09 p.m.

By going "Pro Per", I was able to discover the glaring discrepancies and clearly falsified police reports in my case, which I never would have discovered had I let my Public Defender continue to represent me

Police reports are all public record, and they too are there for the asking, you or me or anyone elese every involved where a PD report is taken have a right to view it. You call upthe PD records department and tell them you want a copy of the report. And yes, polcie reports are a one sided bias report, everyone in criminal law knows this, including the judges.

. Also, you clearly don't know that anyone who goes "Pro Per" can later revert to representation by an attorney ============= I clearly don't know that?????? You clearly know nothing of about me or what I know.

. Going back to the charges: I was fully acquitted by a jury who saw through the lies, but I wasted over seven months of my life backhand-bitchslapping this scrub D.A. and the crooked badge-sportin' greaseballs in my case. ============ Then you should have SUED the cops in federal court under the civil rights act-42 USC section 1983. Mary Prevost here in San Diego has doen a few of these kinds of case. You have that right.

. Yes... TRY LIVING IT AND DEALING WITH DOCUMENTED LIARS WITH BADGES WHO PROTECT THIS GREASEBALL WHO HAS COST TAXPAYERS SO MUCH MONEY ============= Sorry pal, you have nothing on me, I have lived it, long before you ever did.

SurfPuppy619 May 20, 2011 @ 11:31 p.m.

Try it where crooked greaseball cops (entire departments, genius) illegally withhold or doctor those reports...In fact, try it where crooked greaseball cops deliberately erase or eliminate evidence that could possibly incriminate them... then and only then will you have a real understanding of CRIMINAL POLICE MISCONDUCT.

=================== I guess you can't read, or read at a third grade level....I have, and I can guarantee you my case was worse than yours pal.

SurfPuppy619 May 20, 2011 @ 11:32 p.m.

As for suing in court, that's all forthcoming, so go on back to collecting signatures vis-a-vis Prop 8.

================ it's too late to sue now dork, I guess in your great legal wisdom you never learned about the statute of limitations....and to be honest I can see why they went after you, you were asking for it, you can tell by your grease ball attitude.

. Check the facts in my case before ya squawk again, and do all here a favor... "10-4, Good Buddy???" =============== No thanks, you check em.

SurfPuppy619 May 21, 2011 @ 8:06 a.m.

Try figuring out what a statute of limitations is fool (how is that for a weightier noun), try Google, it is your friend. I was going to give you some pointers-because honestly you need as many as you can get, but no thanks, I'll pass on that one.

You have no civil case, but that may not compute in your closed off brain.