Please Explain
  • Please Explain

It's my belief that it's only polite to affix an explanatory license plate holder around an ambiguous license plate. If I can't decipher your jumbled, vowel-free catchphrase at a glance, your money has been wasted. In high school, my license plates said GO BARB. No explanation needed, although there was a story behind it.

But just because you can make out the words, doesn't mean you can make out the meaning behind them. Take this plate I saw yesterday. I was in the parking lot of IKEA when I happened across a Honda minivan with the following plates: BOY MOM, but the "O" in MOM had been replaced with one of those blue heart symbols.

Please Explain

This one definitely requires an explanation. I can understand a "boy" loving his mother, but once you're old enough to be driving a minivan, chances are you have kids of your own (why else would you drive a minivan), which makes it a little weird for you to still be a mama's boy. Say you're the mom, in which case this should read MOM BOY, like "mom loves her boy." Or, maybe this is a Modern Family. Okay, let's go with that for a second. The Mom IS a Boy. Mr. Mom, perhaps. Still doesn't make sense, because of that damn heart in the middle of MOM. I'm at a loss. If you know the person who owns these plates, please seek an explanation for me. Because all of my interpretations are weird and creepy.

Comments

Javajoe25 July 30, 2011 @ 3:33 p.m.

Boy oh boy, this is interesting. I think it is a male gay couple and one of the "boys" is a mom. And the M heart M means Male loves Male as well as Mom. Otherwise, it is a Vietnamese mom because Boy in Vietnamese, like in Chok-Boy, which is vegetarian, so the mom is a "Boy" (a vegetarian!). No?

Evelyn July 30, 2011 @ 7:21 p.m.

i think it means the mom is a mother to a boy. and the heart is probably just to differentiate from the license plate 'boy mom' since duplicates aren't allowed.

and in the future, when i'm rich and can justify spending the money, my car's license plate will be 'Arctic thunder' (his name); or rather, some abbreviation of his name.

Frederick Simson July 30, 2011 @ 9:02 p.m.

My car dealer must have desperate for a sale because he waived the having lots of kids requirement when I bought my Odyssey. According to AARP, seniors are becoming the "most likely to own a minivan" demographic. While I am a Gay Male Geezer (only officially a "Senior" at Denny's who has low standards) I agree more with blueevey than Javajoe25. According to http://kidsplates.org/ the heart symbol is a funding mechanism for children's programs, and as I understand it's "M4M" not M-heart-M in the gay lingo.

Javajoe25 July 30, 2011 @ 11:03 p.m.

Holy Moley. Whod've thunk it. Boymom is a mom of a boy...and that's all it is. I guess we all too jaded to have thought of anything so normal. Ha!

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 1, 2011 @ 5:22 p.m.

COOL PLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a neighbor who have a daughter named Jill, and they have two cars with customized plates;

1- Jils Mom 2- Jils Dad

Barbarella Fokos Aug. 1, 2011 @ 6:12 p.m.

Note the "s." A crucial bit of clarification in one letter. ;)