At the Escondido City Council meeting of January 12, Thomas Armstrong complained that conditions at the Salvation Army's new homeless shelter on Metcalf Street were "deplorable."

"The Salvation Army is not totally to blame," he said. "The City of Escondido, its citizens, and businesses are more at fault. The last-minute negotiations with the City and its businesses left the Salvation Army in the unpleasant position of trying to accommodate people without adequate resources or facilities. Combined with trying to convert commercial property into some kind of habitable and safe environment for dozens of human beings is no easy task."

Armstrong said that the new shelter — a former golf-cart shop — has only two restrooms for approximately 60 people. There are no showers, laundry facilities, and only one sink for everything, including washing mops used to clean restroom floors.

"Would the City of Escondido and its highly esteemed city council allow someone to get a permit to house dogs this way?" Armstrong asked. "Would business owners, employees, and customers allow their immediate family members to live in such a manner? I don't think so."

Mayor Sam Abed took issue with Armstrong's complaints and assured the public that the accommodations were adequate. He said that as a Rotary Club member he had served food to 44 people at the shelter and was happy to do it.

"We have been commended by the Salvation Army," he said. "I want to make it very clear that we [the City] are proud to provide services to the homeless."

Image: stock photo

Comments

Evelyn Jan. 14, 2011 @ 1:15 p.m.

lmao! wow, a whole 40 people were fed once by the mayor! someone give this man a medal! give me a break!

obviously, the mayor didn't like Armstrong making a complain about the facilities, as the article says. The article doesn't mention how ARmstrong is related to the shelter...? Is he a volunteer, employee or without a home?

viewer Jan. 14, 2011 @ 6:23 p.m.

What'd you say wrong? Education = that "SDReader be controlled by an "editor" whom be a "Christian.

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 9:33 a.m.

What be immoral for one to simply ask why a "part" be "cut out". As that was an ez context to understand, for the average person.

My "education" be my knowledge/experience, shared about another.

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 15, 2011 @ 7:51 a.m.

viewer's comments are nonsensical, I would like to understand what his comments are aimed at.

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 10:43 a.m.

I be no surprised that you to say the above. Esp. after I gave you a break --- in what a said about your comment of the article: "Noth Park Main Street's Plans 2011"

It be reasons like this, why society nowadays, only knocks each other off.

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 9:24 a.m.

My answering of 'puppy --- I already explained it in past chat. ?Haven't you been listening, as you go all over the website. Be it that I wish, I could say all your comments are "nonsensical" -- as I have said my comments about Mindy. (what happened to her Mork?)

Jay Allen Sanford Jan. 15, 2011 @ 9:50 a.m.

I've been trying to decipher Viewer's comments too -- there may be a second-language issue, or perhaps we're being pranked.

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 10:01 a.m.

No prank, actually --- if the "edit" button remain longer on there for longer time. I been waiting for some time -- that one with your comment or the similar comment be coming. I be the type that communicate (my thoughts) better Face-To-Face. Compared to pushing keys.

I'm sure that there be those on this website that have their "double-standards." Be it those whom construct the website, whom read the website, etc. Continously contradict. Versus what they claim.

I contest this. vs. the "prank/s" that be charged against me.

Russ Lewis Jan. 15, 2011 @ 10:10 a.m.

Or it could be a case of Casey Stengel syndrome, Jay.

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 10:21 a.m.

You're just one of those --- whom has a felony record. For smashing the face of those, in the certain lo-income neighborhoods, for beating up those whom not suit the description that meet your liked needs.

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 10:26 a.m.

Going by the p**sy games in elementary school times, both of you'd rather team up. Than leave it between me & jayallen.

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 11:14 a.m.

Noone spoke this chat on-topic yet, so I will: San Diego as a county has the wealthiest "homeless" in the USA. I see them continuously solicit passersby for cash. As these same "homeless" later be seen to have cigs & liquor bottles. That takes $ to purchase. Recently, I seen a new condition sleeping bag.

I won't accept the sleeping bag as a donation. The new condition clothes seen on another "homeless" male --- I'll accept.

Add them having the best weather. The areas to live in, with the best weather.

But "homeless" overall, I take as a somewhat scam.

Founder Jan. 15, 2011 @ 1:26 p.m.

Photo's would make it easy to see what is going on at this shelter!

Is the sink photo from the Shelter, or from some place else?

If someone has some good images (or a short video) and can post them, then provide a link, it would be helpful for others to see what is the "real" situation.

If nobody can provide some images, perhaps some folks can get a tour and give some first hand impressions...

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 3:49 p.m.

Who takes those images first?

Society must get away from (word of) "photos." That's days of 35mm negs. 2 1/4x2/14 roll film; 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 sheet film. (the age of) Electronic cameras are IMAGES. Then again, not everyone be an old-school pro photographer. When cameras were MANUALLY used. The days of b/w

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 3:51 p.m.

Of Founder's last sentence ---- I be fully for it.

But what about documentation, in the context of what I said earlier. In how the "homeless" get their alcohol & tobacco, after soliciting so successfully. As been their testimony of having no money. And I been seeing them all day, with noone giving them anything. As I know where the correct (homeless) subjects are seen, for this.

viewer Jan. 15, 2011 @ 10:19 p.m.

Thanks Mindy for what you said. I'm not perfect; as noone is.

But as I said before: I have gotten comments deleted, for saying words in the same & lesser powerful context -- of the SDReader. As other composers have not had the same penalty.

SurfPuppy619 Jan. 16, 2011 @ 8:36 a.m.

Gosh, I haven't heard a Mork and Mindy joke in decades...

===== LOL...there was SMALL comedy club in San Francisco-now defunt- called the Holy City Zoo (I think that was the name), held about 40-50 people max and Robin Williams used to do stand up there before he made it big in LA, and still showed up from time to time, and he showed up one time when I was there-guy was very very funny.........

Founder Jan. 16, 2011 @ 8:12 a.m.

So getting back to the shelter story, if someone wants to go there and take a look around and also take some "images" or "digital photo's" or "pictures" or lacking that post their own first hand impressions, then we all can better see and or understand what is going on. + I feel the stock photo (unless you have been to the shelter and it is representative of the conditions in the shelter) is unfair because it projects an image of the shelter...

Good Luck