Happy Dog
  • Happy Dog

I’ve always assumed that dogs only mounted stuffed animals, people, or other dogs when they were “in the mood.” But, thanks to my friend Andy and his pal Ricky (who ceaselessly humps our friend Claire), I’ve learned that isn’t the case.

At first I thought it was because Claire has a female dog and Ricky, being male, wanted to somehow acquaint himself with the lady he smelled on her. But after a little research, along with Andy’s claim that Ricky often demonstrates this behavior, most often with males, many of whom don’t own lovely lady dogs, I learned that mating is the last thing on the mutt’s mind when he’s mounting.

According to all of the experts on veterinary web sites, “humping” is an instinctive dog behavior when it comes to asserting dominance. It can also be an expression of anxiety (that’s probably why you always see those stressed-out little yappy dogs humping slippers). In the adorable, and usually lax but energetic pup Ricky, I think it falls under the third category vets gave – obsessive compulsive behavior brought on by either of the previous two, and impossible to stop.

It’s strange that he seems most obsessed with Claire, though. I can only imagine that she’s the one person in the room Ricky thinks he has a chance of dominating. Either that, or he just loves the sound of her laugh so much that he’ll do anything to get it, over and over… and over.

Comments

Gretchen Aug. 29, 2011 @ 5:24 p.m.

Another entertaining topic, Barb! My sister had a Yorkie that would hump a hoe every time she brought it out to garden. She had a serious issue trying to get anything accomplished in her garden with her dog around for fear she'd accidentally chop it in half. Even making the hoe "dead" by laying it down didn't distract this dog from doing her business. She must have been one anxious pup!

Barbarella Fokos Aug. 30, 2011 @ 11:52 a.m.

Thanks, Gretchen! Oh, those poor little freaked-out dogs. Always shivering and yapping. Someone should grind Valium into their Alpo. ;)

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 31, 2011 @ 12:30 a.m.

Oh, and btw...my alpha female humps plenty of dogs too. She does it when my other dogs play. Some guys say, "Why don't you get him neutered?" I say, "She's a girl and she's been spayed." Has nothing to do with hormones, it has to do with showing who's boss. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

================ I had an alpha female that did exactly the same thing, would jump on the weaker/low key dogs and dominate them by the hump.

Twister Aug. 29, 2011 @ 8:52 p.m.

All kinds of animals "hump" things other than their heart's desire if the're "horny" enough. Cows, bulls, ducks, drakes . . . well, that's far enough. Especially bonobos. Humans also cross species boundaries as well as use inanimate objects "intimately." Humans are almost perpetually "in heat."

Yes, it could be, maybe even is, a dominance demonstration--or even a kind of "grooming" behavior--even ethologists don't really know. But as far as I know, apparently only humans form actual homosexual pair bonds. Anybody know of exceptions?

Barbarella Fokos Aug. 30, 2011 @ 11:51 a.m.

There's plenty of documented evidence of homosexual and same-sex parenting behavior in the animal kingdom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexu...

Barbarella Fokos Aug. 30, 2011 @ 2:46 p.m.

Does it make you sick because they're both male? Or because the act is a little too obscene-seeming? I like that "bowing to the king" analogy, seems so much more regal and appropriate. ;)

Facebook Aug. 30, 2011 @ 11:31 a.m.

Joe Rhodes: I laughed HARD. But that would get pretty annoying after 30 or so pumps...