My desktop
  • My desktop

It’s been a full two weeks since I transitioned from sitting to standing while I work. I have to admit, despite my commitment to this occupation lifestyle change, I had my apprehensions.

My reasons for switching were health and space. Regarding the latter, I was leaving a big home office and would have to squeeze my workstation into a much smaller area. Chairs take up a lot of room. But I could have worked that out. Health was my major motivator. With an increase in workload, I might be at my computer up to ten hours a day. That’s a helluvalot of sitting.

The decision had been made. I sold my desk.

The chair I sold

A few weeks later, I sold my ergonomic chair. In our new home, David IKEA-hacked a standing desk for me, and my days of endless sitting were over.

After two weeks, I can say with confidence that it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. While I’m working with music on, I can’t help but shimmy and dance a bit, and when I’m waiting for videos to render or pages to load, I busy myself with calisthenics. Because I’m already standing, what used to seem like major interruptions -- refilling my glass of water or fetching a phone charger or doing a few sets with the dumbbells by my desk – are now nothing more than small undertakings.

My new standing desk!

Now, instead of taking a break to stand and stretch, I take a break to sit for a few minutes, maybe sip an espresso and contemplate a hummingbird outside the window, before getting back up and going to work. Now, rather than being fatigued after a day of heavy sighs, slouching, and clicking, I feel pleasantly tired. I think it has to do with all the little movements I make throughout the day, the sum total of which offers the same sort of stress release I get from a 30-minute jog.

Comments

Joe Poutous Aug. 12, 2011 @ 9:57 p.m.

that is an amazing idea.

I have been sitting so much now that I work in Irvine. 3 hours of driving every day... IT job so I'm tied to a desk.

I even bought a clown car to make the trip.

Once I setup a home office, I'm stealing this idea!

Founder Aug. 13, 2011 @ 4:18 p.m.

Glad you are a Mac user, ... + Your laptop will allow you to get outside, ... And into Real Life, ... Then you can whistle while you work, ... You do know how to whistle?

richzombie Aug. 13, 2011 @ 5:32 p.m.

i have thought about this for some time but have never gotten to the desk thingie ...but motivated now . love the idea of a little exercise while working at your desk !

Ruth Newell Aug. 13, 2011 @ 6:33 p.m.

Love the idea of a clown car--you can keep the commute, however! Did my time monster commuting; never again. But, the clown car...hmm. Make it all electric and I'm sold!

Ruth Newell Aug. 13, 2011 @ 6:36 p.m.

OH and standing while working is brilliant! I often work down by the pool and waterfall where I regularly housesit at a tall bistro table...I often don't use the stools and it really does make a difference!So much more forgiving on the ol' hips.

Twister Aug. 13, 2011 @ 6:38 p.m.

It's a great idea, especially for those with good legs and feet. The rest of us would like to stand, but must sit.

Barbarella Fokos Aug. 14, 2011 @ 9:55 a.m.

I forgot to mention, I used to get leg cramping while sitting in my chair, and my knee would ache on and off, just in general. Now that I've been standing, all knee aches are gone, and I haven't had any leg cramping. I highly recommend it. Twister, I'm sorry if you're stuck sitting -- know there are many options for sitting that also offer strength building and frequent movement, like exercise balls, etc.

Joe Poutous Aug. 15, 2011 @ 10:54 a.m.

For me its lower back pain. I carry stress there, I sit too damned much...

I'm glad you found a solution to your pains!

• Joe

Twister Aug. 14, 2011 @ 1:46 p.m.

For anyone who does sit, some kind of movement is essential, rather than just being an immovable slug. Blood clots, for example, can be deadly. The more exercise, the better, and that includes eyes. Do not stare at a monitor or anything else for extended periods. At least every few minutes, look around and focus on more distant objects, and move your eyes rather than just your head.