• Jim Call (left): “A good 50 percent or more of a Nicey Nice World show is made up on the spot.”

Since October 2010, Joyce Rooks has driven her cello from Oceanside to Marcelo Radulovich’s studio in Cardiff-by-the-Sea. Jim Call brings a theremin from Lemon Grove. Wherever the trio sets up, it’s a Nicey Nice World.

The group’s collective résumé is impressive. Call was in San Diego’s first punk band, the Penetrators. Rooks played with the Penetrators and Cockpits; more recently, she’s worked with David J of Bauhaus. Originally known for his role in Playground Slap, Radulovich has garnered a reputation for cutting-edge experimentation.

How did the group and name come about?

Call: “We’ve all known each other for a long time. Finally, at a party, the three of us were speaking. We observed how nice it would be to get together to play and see what came of it. When we did, a particularly felicitous chemistry was noted, making us want to do it again.”

Radulovich: “We were in the annoying period a group experiences at the onset, the ‘What are we gonna call it?’ period. We were talking about something — cultural misconceptions, perhaps. Jim said something along the lines of, ‘They want it to be a nicey-nice world.’”

From the band’s web page: “We make unlearned music — and, insofar as possible, unplanned.” So everything NNW does is spontaneous?

Call: “More or less. We do use electronic loops. We might play along with the loop in a way similar as previously...or not. We have a few songs that we generally do play similarly. It’s still ‘unlearned,’ and, at least to a degree, ‘unplanned.’ I’m guessing a good 50 percent or more of any Nicey Nice World show is made up on the spot.”

How did you settle on Ducky Waddles bookstore/art gallery for your monthly residency?

Rooks: “My husband Jerry and I own Ducky Waddles — it was originally opened in 1992, in Silverlake. The store was damaged in the Northridge quake — that’s when we returned to San Diego. We set up in the main room, and there’s audience seating.”

Nicey Nice World will make it up as they go along, sort of, Friday, April 22, at Ducky Waddles in Encinitas.

Comments

dirkmedia April 20, 2011 @ 2:38 p.m.

In the late '70s, Joyce was best known to San Diego punk fans as a member of The Dinettes, an all-girl San Diego counterpart to L.A.'s Go-Gos and Bangles.

Jay Allen Sanford April 20, 2011 @ 4:44 p.m.

The Dinettes are indeed one of Brooks' most notable local combos, tho the band was only "all-girl" for a portion of their storied career - the Reader has the scoop at http://www.sandiegoreader.com/bands/dinettes/

For a lengthy profile of Marcelo Radulovich and his new solo album Legendary Robots, see the Reader's newest Rock Around the Town blog -- http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/bands/2011/apr/20/marcelo-radulovichs-legendary-robots-sight-sound-h/

Mary Leary April 20, 2011 @ 7 p.m.

I get 400 words here; so thanks for the additions. I mentioned the Dinettes in my recent Harpo piece. For a live review of Marcelo: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/20... - if the link doesn't work, you can read it in Concert Reviews, January 5, 2010

MsGrant April 20, 2011 @ 9:15 p.m.

Just a throw out, there was a band in the late seventies that was playing in San Francisco with The Dead Kennedys' called "Chrome Dinette". We walked by the marquee and had to pop in. It changed my life as far a music is concerned. I was all of sixteen.

torchsong April 20, 2011 @ 10:47 p.m.

Yes, Chrome Dinette. I remember them, saw them play when we were in S.F. to play at the first Western Front punk festival organized by Jello Biafra. They were nice folks and a good band as I remember.

Thanks for the nice write up Mary!

Joyce

gheffern April 20, 2011 @ 11:10 p.m.

great to see this article, and kudos to all, however...i think jim call would stand behind me in the statement that the penetrators were NOT the first punk band in san diego...that would go to either the zeros, dils, or the hitmakers! just keeping the record straight on this! love to all...heff

Jay Allen Sanford April 25, 2011 @ 5:35 a.m.

The Dils were nearly the first FAMOUS punk band out of San Diego, by virtue of their appearance in Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke movie, where they’re seen playing at the end of the Battle of the Bands sequence. Unfortunately, they played so badly (unaware that they wouldn't get another "take") that few who saw them in the movie sought them out --

Mary Leary May 24, 2011 @ 9:05 p.m.

Tx, Jay Allen, for clarifying. I was on another coast during the original punk scene - re: this coast, I know a fair amount about what happened in L.A., but no, not an expert on what happened on the local scene. So the couple of accounts I've heard about the Penetrators -well, I'm gonna find those people 'n' beat 'em up! Anyway, I'm here now for Nicey Nice World, & it's a happee happee thing.