Miz Mandy once got on Prince’s tour bus. “Nothing crazy happened. Sorry.”
  • Miz Mandy once got on Prince’s tour bus. “Nothing crazy happened. Sorry.”

Mandy Gasparich — aka Miz Mandy — is one of several female singers from the local pop band Liquid Blue to go from BlueGirl to solo recording artist.

“Historically, my music has been pop and dance, with an international flair,” says Mandy, who has landed two of her songs on Billboard’s Dance/Club charts: “In the Mix” peaked at #37 in 2007 and “Sweet Fury of Love” hit #48 in 2008.

“However, there are very few venues that specifically book pop/dance musical acts with a full band anymore. It’s hard to get gigs, other than sitting in on a dance/club DJ set without my band, [because] most venues seem to focus on a very genre-specific product other than pop dance. My next album has shifted gears a bit, with some acoustic, R&B, jazz, blues, and country songs I’ve written. Like, bringing a contemporary sensibility to a retro, 1960s pop sound. It’s very orchestrated and moody, yet sultry and chic, with heavy beats, lots of brass, and lots of strings.”

The as-yet-untitled album is planned for a summer release. “My new producer Ryan Franks and I have been in the studio since last year, and we have ten songs produced and are finalizing melodies and lyrics now.”

WHAT’S IN YOUR MUSIC PLAYER?

1) Janelle Monáe, The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III). “I just love her image and style. She’s very real.”

2) Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine. “She writes in minor keys and uses unique chord changes for an eerie torment that sounds a little off but is right on.”

CD YOU’RE EMBARRASSED TO LOVE?

“I love the old Queer Eye for the Straight Guy soundtrack. There are some great songs on there from Wildlife, Basement Jaxx, and Kylie Minogue.”

WHAT LOCALS DO YOU LISTEN TO?

“Roxy Monoxide, Danyavaad, Charles Lenud, Christopher Dale, Nodden, and Jayton tha Mac.”

IF YOU HAD A TIME MACHINE, WHEN/WHERE WOULD YOU VACATION?

1) “The 1920s, for the music.”

2) “Biblical times, for the experience.”

3) “Ancient Egypt, for the eye makeup. I mean, to see Egyptian history.”

HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A FEMALE PERFORMER?

“Dancing in heels.”

FAVORITE MAGAZINES?

Scientific American and Scientific American Mind.”

DO YOU READ ELECTRONIC BOOKS?

“On long drives to L.A., sometimes I’ll do an audio book. The Myth of Male Power, by Dr. Warren Farrell, is a great one that really looks at the male perspective of many issues. He’s been hailed as an expert on gender issues.”

WHERE DO YOU HANG OUT?

“My house. I love having dinner parties. I bake artisan bread and have movie nights, game nights. And I play a lot of Rummikub online.”

BRUSH WITH FAME?

“I once got on Prince’s tour bus with him in St. Louis, back in the late ’90s. The concert after-party was at a local club. I was cooling off outside and didn’t realize I was right there between the tour buses, looking up at Prince, who was sitting in the driver’s seat and smiling down at me. I walked around and got on.... The band was loading up to leave, so my stay was brief. Nothing crazy happened. Sorry. But they did mention that they would take me with them. I declined and went home. That was before I was writing my own stuff, but now I kick myself for not having the foresight to more aggressively pursue a mentorship with him.”

WHAT REMAINS ON YOUR BUCKET LIST?

1) “I’d like to cruise the Amazon, the Nile, and the Yangtze rivers.”

2) “I draw and sketch out my many art ideas, so I have a few art installations that I’d like to see come to fruition.”

3) “I’ve been working on a few screenplay ideas.”

4) “Write a musical.”

THREE THINGS WE DON’T KNOW ABOUT YOU?

1) “While on a flight from Africa to New York, I got to sit in the cockpit of a 747 plane to land at JFK. That was pre-9/11)”

2) “I lay a mean tile.”

3) “I used to own a restaurant called Le Passage that I designed, built, and ran with my ex-fiancé on State Street in Carlsbad. We later sold it to the chef who ran it for awhile, and then he sold to someone else. It’s still operating.” ■

Comments

Jay Allen Sanford April 6, 2011 @ 12:26 p.m.

Outakes:

FEARS OR PHOBIAS? 1. “Certain heights can freak me out, when it’s straight down.” 2. “June bugs. They’re the worst in the Midwest where I grew up; big, brown, and cream filled bugs. I will scream and run and hide. Kinda ridiculous.” 3. “I am deathly afraid of death.”

SONG THAT BEST DESCRIBES YOUR LIFE? “The Entertainer, by Billy Joel.” “I am the entertainer, I’ve come to do my show You’ve heard my latest record, it’s been on the radio It took me years to write it, they were the best years of my life It was a beautiful song but it ran too long If you’re gonna have a hit you gotta make it fit So they cut it down to 3:05”

MOST VISITED WEBSITES? 1. “Wikipedia and Google for songwriting ideas.” 2. “Last.fm and Pitchfork to be introduced to new music.” 3. “I’m absolutely addicted to the Groupon.com coupon site.”

KatesFate April 6, 2011 @ 9:35 p.m.

OMG! I love her! so glad that you did an article... she was great at Anthology for Susan G Komen last summer! knew her from liquid blue too!

itsjustdank April 7, 2011 @ 4:06 p.m.

Cannot wait for new Miz Mandy! Sweet! BTW I wanna write a musical with Miz Mandy. So fun!

MizMandy April 7, 2011 @ 4:11 p.m.

Hey Reader! Thanks so much for the great article on me! It reads very nicely!

I do think that I must have confused you guys a bit though!

I have two projects going on right now: 1. My next original pop album as an artist with Ryan Franks which has a retro moody feel and is out in the summer. Check out the press release for more info: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/03/prweb5178734.htm

1. A side songwriting project of all musical genres with John Rosenberg, which is for my songwriting catalogue.

Thanks again! : ) Mandy

SurfPuppy619 April 8, 2011 @ 1:11 p.m.

I have two projects going on right now: 1. My next original pop album as an artist with Ryan Franks which has a retro moody feel and is out in the summer. Check out the press release for more info: . http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/03/prweb5178734.htm .

================== Fixed your link. Can you take me to dinner? (I don't bite)

shoeaddict77 April 7, 2011 @ 7:54 p.m.

Mandy, Miz Mandy that is, I'm so proud of you! It's amazing to see all your accomplishments!! Keep it up, I'll be following you!! Best wishes always! XOXO Andrea

SarahNDaRanch April 7, 2011 @ 8:46 p.m.

I cant wait to hear the new stuff. you go girl!

afrantz April 7, 2011 @ 10:11 p.m.

I love Miz Mandy! Thanks for the write up! I'm Only Dreaming is my FAVORITE song! And yes she plays a mean Rummikub and bakes some wicked good bread. All around talent if you ask me...

stevenhart April 8, 2011 @ 8:20 a.m.

I enjoyed this piece on Mandy. Her tidbit on Prince is priceless. I've seen Mandy in action and she is fun to listen to and watch. If dancing in heels is a problem for her you'd never know it to watch her in action. Thanks Mandy for the memories. Hot pic BTW. Way hot!

sarasch April 8, 2011 @ 12:01 p.m.

I never knew Mandy was also a restaurateur! She is multi-talented indeed. I can't imagine having a chance to ride with Prince! What a responsible young woman to not run off so easily, I guess. I don't know what I would have done. Thanks, Reader, for interviewing our local talent!

Bernardo April 8, 2011 @ 12:34 p.m.

Been following Miz Mandy since the '06 Belly Up shows, way hot! Her shows are great with lots of dancing girls,,, lol! Cool info on her, I love a woman that can bake!

akgmaclvr April 9, 2011 @ 1:52 p.m.

Hey Miz Mandy! Can't wait for the next album! I get ready for work with Today's the Day! : ) Do you have any upcoming shows?

ceisert April 13, 2011 @ 7:02 a.m.

Look forward to hearing the new CD. Artisan bread, YUM! I hear one of the local artists you listen to, Christopher Dale, is in love with a gay waitress. Keep up the good work.

-CD

cosmogirl April 14, 2011 @ 5:53 a.m.

Great article on Miz Mandy. She is not only a fabulous singer and entertainer but a true Renaissance woman. Good luck on the new CD.

EllieB April 14, 2011 @ 6:59 a.m.

Love her....If you haven't heard Mandy sing, you are missing out. She belongs on stage. I can't wait to hear her new stuff. You go Girl.

DetailsDefined April 14, 2011 @ 7:58 a.m.

Miz Mandy is fresh, real, talent. I too will be on the crew for that musical, all musicals need a set designer :)

leilainia April 14, 2011 @ 10:03 a.m.

Thank you for the shout out Mandy! Great article!!!! This art filled life is inspiring!

hammondp April 14, 2011 @ 5:03 p.m.

Great read! Looking forward to the new album. :-)

plaszlo April 15, 2011 @ 12:58 p.m.

Mis Mandy is great in all ways...a singer, a dancer, a wonderful cook, and most importantly a kind, generous person. Mandy will be sucessful in all she attempts. I am lucky to have her as a friend. Pat L

Dabob April 18, 2011 @ 5:04 a.m.

Really enjoyed the article. Hot pic. Seen you play belly-up & anthology. Dabob wants more MM. Where ya been - come out n play.

DakotaFans April 18, 2011 @ 8:30 p.m.

Great article! We can't wait for the new album. Also, how about a midwestern tour :) !!!

gshafer April 19, 2011 @ 8:55 a.m.

Mandy, love the article and insight into your past. Can't wait to hear the "camp fire" performance at our MC next outing. Follow your dreams...

Gordy

pattyh April 19, 2011 @ 10:18 p.m.

Hi Mandy!! Great article... It will be great to hear your new CD! All the Best, Patty H

jimkaroli April 29, 2011 @ 3:33 p.m.

Hi Mandy. Rachel and I especially enjoy your CDs on the open road. The article is great and we look forward to your new CD!