The world ends May 21. You’ve been warned.
  • The world ends May 21. You’ve been warned.

At the south end of Morena Boulevard, seen by many thousands of drivers and passengers on I-5 north, a full-sized billboard declares that May 21, 2011, is Judgment Day for Christians.

Harold Camping is responsible for the billboard. Camping, head of an Oakland-based Christian ministry called Family Radio Worldwide, has announced that Earth and perhaps the entire universe as we know it will be destroyed on May 21, a little over a month after Easter and Passover. He predicted that “The end of the world is almost here!” (at familyradio.com) based on self-devised math computations derived from Bible prophecies.

According to the Mayan calendar, December 21, 2012, is specified as the day the world will end; a large number Christians believe that date to be Judgment Day.

Comments

Paul_Jerome April 5, 2011 @ 4:57 p.m.

The article states: “Earth and perhaps the entire universe as we know it will be destroyed on May 21”

This is incorrect. Judgment day is May 21, 2011 in which the entire world will be devastated by the Greatest Earthquake the world has ever experienced. 153 days later on October 21, 2011, the world and this present universe will be destroyed by fire. All of the true believers will be saved from this judgment by being brought to Heaven on may 21, 2011. Therefore, may 21, 2011 is the last day from salvation.

yetanotherusername April 5, 2011 @ 10:39 p.m.

Since all the material, books, audio, video, etc are free from family radio, I've actually been able to follow the so-called "self-devised math computations derived from Bible" and I submit to you that it is also called "Algebra". It is a good thing that our salvation is not dependent on middle-school level education. Please don't be afraid to do a little homework, though. The statement about the Mayan Calendar specifying about the end of the world is inacurate as well (most people realize that already). They just don't make good journalism like they used to, or was writing news always this "loose"?

David Dodd April 6, 2011 @ 12:53 a.m.

It's December 21, 2012, the Mayans have never been wrong about anything yet. Well, except for the Spaniards killing them and the survivors being forced into Christianity. The rest of them fled into the jungle and gave a crap less. This is what happens.

Never the less, pay close attention to the expiration dates on your canned and dry foods. Anything after 12/21/12 is a waste of food, and humanity certainly doesn't want future archeologists to accuse them of purposefully wasting resources when it was TOTALLY OBVIOUS that their planet would come to a screeching halt because a distant, misunderstood, and probably irrelevant semi-ancient culture busted up one too many chisels when pounding out a calendar that less than 1/20th of 1% of the modern world actually understands.

mngcornaglia April 6, 2011 @ 4:44 a.m.

Dozens of individuals have made similar projections throughout most centuries of recorded history, including Camping. So far, they've all been incorrect... Most churches have missions to help the poor, hungry, and homeless. This one sees fit to spend many thousands on these ads versus use of their resources to assist the less fortunate. I guess that's the way of evangelicals...

David Dodd April 6, 2011 @ 5:37 a.m.

"Most churches have missions to help the poor, hungry, and homeless."

You forgot about the mission to bring in the almighty dollar, and to ensure that the less fortunate and their offspring will continue that giving feeling. Wanna talk about the missions?

Ponzi April 6, 2011 @ 6:47 a.m.

Myths. Followers. Superstitions. Ancient religions. Ignorance of evolution. Lack of critical thinking. Jesus probably did exist, but he is not coming back.

There are two types of insane people.

The clinically insane and the religiously insane.

sky2fall April 6, 2011 @ 8:02 a.m.

I can't believe no one is seeing the potential for profit here! Here is a bunch of people who think the world is gonna end on May 11, 2011. I say set up a tent outside their church and start offering pennies on the dollar for their homes, cars and general valuables!

Best of all there is legal precident for upholding the contracts. In the early 20th centery a religious group (later the Seven Day Adventists) thought the world was gonna end and preached that all of their members should "put their homes in order" which included paying off all of their debts. So they sold thier homes and farms for pennies! When the world didn't end, they immediately wanted their stuff back but the Courts upheld the sales contracts saying that although their motivations were far-fetched, they were prefectly sane when they entered the contracts!

SurfPuppy619 May 2, 2011 @ 7:33 a.m.

Religion & Politics DON'T MIX.

LOL...my family cannot talk either at fmaily gatherings. We have views that are very, VERY opposing and divergent and nothing good comes from the fights we had in the past, so both are now off limits.

Unless I know the company I am in I usually stay clear of both with everyone in person. On boards liek this though , open warfare :)

tomjohnston May 2, 2011 @ 9:43 a.m.

Religion and politics DO indeed mix. They are both about the same things: Money and power. Plain and simple My family now only consists of myself , my wife and our two kids and my wife's sister, her husband and their two kids. so it's not as much fun. But when when both of our parents and some of our grandparents were alive, those were some of the best conversations. My wife's mom and dad were born in France and England, her only surviving grandparents were both born in France in the late 1800's and one of my grandfathers was born in Ireland and my grandmother in Belgium. Imagine the conversation in that room the couple of times they were all together. Fun times, I'll tell you that.

thetrizzuth May 2, 2011 @ 2:31 a.m.

religion and politics dont mix??? deal with it guy, they both exist. anyway ponzi. your arguement/"pyramid scheme" is very reassuring for u im sure, but u are a gesture for the devil and im sure to believe what you believe it takes even more faith believe than what i believe. real answers are out there. the world is just too full of itsself to take anything seriously. its always funny how a non believer chsnges there tone once they realize a believer will not surcome to their iggnorance of what is written. THE TRIZZUTH

Rocket_J_Squirrel May 2, 2011 @ 10:11 a.m.

Why is that guy about to take a dump in the corner of the billboard???

Fred Williams May 4, 2011 @ 5:17 a.m.

My friends, this is great news!

I just double-checked how this Christianity deal works.

We have until about 5:30 pm on the 21st to party like it's the end...well, you know what I mean.

Then, about half an hour before the trumpets announce the rapture, I'm turning my life over to Jesus, coming to the Lord, believing in him with all my heart and soul, earning his eternal forgiveness and salvation.

Again, I double-checked the rules. He HAS TO FORGIVE me. No choice. Gotta take me.

Cool, huh? I can sin all I like, and at the last minute I still get into heaven. (Too bad if there's some really godly person who just before the deadline has an unclean thought, cause they're totally screwed.)

So, until then, I'll be enjoying myself

...and for all you regular Reader commentators, since most of you unrepentant sinners will be left behind, will one of you make sure to water the lawn after I'm raptured up to heaven?

Thanks!

Rev. Fred Williams Doctor of Divinity

Rocket_J_Squirrel May 5, 2011 @ 5:35 p.m.

Hey Reverend Fred!

Does that mean it's OK to swap my DNA with a bunch of naked women?

OY! In THAT case, you may refer to me as...

Rabbi Pocket Rocket J. Squirrel OY!